Thread: Mandolin Wall Hook

Default Mandolin Wall Hook

Hey all - I just got a pair of wall hooks, one for my mandolin and one for my guitar. I know where I want to put them but I can't seem to find a stud in the area in which I want them installed. Is it important to make sure you install these hooks into a stud? I would think yes, especially since I deeply care about these instruments, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

Default Re: Mandolin Wall Hook

Personally I would not hang an instrument on the wall without first drilling into the stud for a support screw. I went out and bought a new stud finder specifically for this task, my old cheap one never worked, but the new one works like a champ.

There are various methods to mount things to sheetrock, some work better than others. But I wouldn't trust any with my instruments. If you decide to go that route, just check it periodically to make sure it's still tight. It would most likely fail slowly, over time.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Personally I would not hang an instrument on the wall without first drilling into the stud for a support screw. I went out and bought a new stud finder specifically for this task, my old cheap one never worked, but the new one works like a champ.

There are various methods to mount things to sheetrock, some work better than others. But I wouldn't trust any with my instruments. If you decide to go that route, just check it periodically to make sure it's still tight. It would most likely fail slowly,
    over time.

Or not !!!

Blog Entries

I think at least one of my mandolin String Swings is NOT into a stud. Frankly, given how light weight a mandolin is, I wouldn't be overly concerned if you use a bull dog in the drywall. I would be less willing to hang something heavier like an electric guitar/bass or banjo on a wall hanger without using the stud.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

If the stud is not in the perfect spot you can always Take a piece of 1X3X3/4 or 1X4x3/4 and span two studs so you can put your hanger where you want. I found a wooden sign blank at a craft store that was already routed with a curved edge that I painted the color of the wall and it worked out quite well. These Drywall anchors can fail quite suddenly and I just don't like the threat of the unexpected looming in the back of my mind. I've got plenty to worry about !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boydpd View Post
    I deeply care about these instruments, but I wanted a second opinion.
    The subject has been discussed in many threads, and there is no concensus, but for me: I care deeply about my mandolins and that is why I keep them in their cases.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

There is a plethora of wall anchors available that should suffice. CHeck the shelves at your local hardware store (or Home Depot). Most only require a 1/4" hole drilled, then you screw in the anchor. Mount your hooks to the anchor. Some are rated for over 75 lbs on 1/2" gyp bd.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

Sell your house and buy a brick one.

Just trying to be helpful.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I agree with Jeff. The best place is in the case. If you're going to kep an instrument out, you've got to consider atmospheric safety issues such as humidification, sunlight, temperature variations, etc. And of course, children, cats, curious passers by...keep it in the case where you kbnow it's safe.
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Quote Originally Posted by mandodan1960 View Post
    If the stud is not in the perfect spot you can always Take a piece of 1X3X3/4 or 1X4x3/4 and span two studs so you can put your hanger where you want.
    I did that, and it works quite well. 3 mandos on the wall for over 5 years, not muss no fuss.

I think its a great idea to hang em.

1. The house is already temperature/humidity controlled enough. I wouldnt pick a spot in sun or where kids hit them.
    2. I would play it more if it were out.
    3. They look cool-- as aesthetically pleasing as artwork.

Now, if I were just not so dawgone lazy...

Yeah, never leave your mando, or any instrument in it's case. You will play it much more if it's just sitting around.

Blog Entries

A friend of mine gave me a great idea. I am going to have professional pictures taken of my mandolins, front on, perhaps like my avatar, and then frame them and hang them up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

How can you impress your friends with your mando hiding in it's case?
    I agree it's a good way to remind yourself to play!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31FXwW6RANL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	92040

I like to use wall anchors like these. Never had a problem as long as the drywall was sound.

Wall anchors work fine for paintings a whole lot heavier than a mandolin... Mostpurchased mountings come with two anchors. Short of the end of the world; if well installed the instrument should be OK. My two mandos presently in cases almost never get played... My unhung or wall hung instruments get played 99% of the time. and yes, they get dinged.... That is called "life".

If really worried install a 1 x 6" board to the studs and the hangers to that board,

there may be a good reason why some cases are called "coffin" cases.
    Bart McNeil

17. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post: