Thread: Gibson A?

Default Gibson A?

Hey guys,

Just wondering could anyone give me more information on this mandolin? The only info I have on it is its a Gibson A model (obviously!) made circa 1917...

Would this be an A1 model and would 1917 be the right year as it doesnt have 'The Gibson' inlayed in the headstock?

Any idea on the rough value of it also? Im not sure its all original - it looks very clean to my eyes (I havent seen it in the flesh) and am fairly sure the case isnt original. Also the bridge looks adjustable - were they not fixed bridges on the Gibsons at this time? (I am learning.....very slowly...but learning....)

Would appreciate any info on this, cheers!

Name:  1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263360b81a20f6d29ce7f9362525fc850f14e.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  15.7 KBName:  1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263368b89d792da442c826a7141be96db050c.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  16.2 KBName:  1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633606be3a2f9f67414f22cb945770be8ae7.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  17.3 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336764906eaf19749dfecb6e7f96e9f2881.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	91603

Default Re: Gibson A?

I think it is an A model not an A1 which would have have a logo inlay and a double rosette. As you mentioned the bridge is non original and the pickguard is missing. With a non original case I wouldn't think it would be worth more than about $1000, but who knows, if it's in perfect shape otherwise and sounds really good. It's really worth what someone will pay.

3. The following members say thank you to Chip Booth for this post:

Smurts 

Thanks Chip - Didnt realise there was a 'sub-A1' model, pretty rare to come across any type of Gibson for sale here in Ireland so will contact the seller maybe about having a try on it.

Not sure about prices in Ireland but the price of most things Gibson in the UK tends to be significantly greater than in the US.

If you want to look at prices check them at TAMCO - where they are usually reasonable - and compare with those at R&F Charle in Paris!

Yea they'd be similar prices to the UK here alright, although we have little or no choice for mandolin shops - only one shop that I know of in the country that stock decent mandolins - and even there the choice is limited to a few weber and breedlove models that they have in stock....

Very frustrating comparing prices here and in the UK to those in the us but the taxman must be paid I guess!

A-1s changed a lot over the years, but aside from the top finish, which I wouldn't make a big deal about, what you have seems to be an A-1 from 1922:

Model: A-1 Mandolin
    Available: 1902 to 1943

1902 A-1 specs:
    Symmetrical body, bound oval soundhole with 2 wood inlaid rings, pickguard inlaid into top, single bound top, bound ebony fingerboard, dot inlays, large rounded paddle shape peghead, golden orange top finish, reddish back and sides.
    1905 A-1 specs:
    Smaller non-paddle peghead, "The Gibson" peghead logo.
    1908 A-1 specs:
    Elevated pickguard.

[The pre-discontinuation A-1s had two rings around the soundhole]

A-1 discontinued 1918.

1922 A-1 Re-introduction specs:
    1 ring around soundhole, single bound top and back, no peghead logo, black top finish, brown back and sides. [And presumably an adjustable trussrod, which is why a FON would be helpful.]
    1923 A-1 specs:
    Snakehead peghead.
    A-1 discontinued 1927.
    1933 A-1 Re-introduction specs:
    Bound top, straight peghead logo, standard peghead shape, sunburst finish.
    1934 A-1 specs:
    Bound top and back, "F" holes, white painted peghead logo.
    A-1 discontinued 1943.

It'd be nice if you could find the FON inside; that's the most reliable dating tool you could want, better than construction details and better than serial numbers. Gibson had their ideal model lines, and then they made a whole lot of instruments, some of which blurred the specs. Someone forgot to finish a batch in black, so they went out anyway.

Yours obviously isn't pre-1918, when they discontinued the model. Wish you had better photos, only one of the thumbnails expands, and it doesn't expand much.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

8. The following members say thank you to Paul Hostetter for this post:

Smurts 

Cheers for the info Paul, sorry about the pictures - I was taking them direct from an ad, so theyre the best I could get unfortunately!!

Whatever you have, please remember that Gibson has never been all that great at sticking to their own specs. Nearly anything is possible.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

11. The following members say thank you to Paul Hostetter for this post:

Smurts