Thread: Eddie Davis and the Dredge

Default Eddie Davis and the Dredge

The great tenor banjo and guitarist Eddie Davis has posted a bunch of new videos of him playing a new tenor guitar which he calls the Dredge. A couple of them explain the name. It's a very small (17" scale) dreadnaught shaped guitar made by Joel Eckhaus, who some of you might know makes guitars and ukes and mando's under the Earnest brand. Sounds great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXo4ApKfcuU

2. The following members say thank you to ambrosepottie for this post:

Default Re: Eddie Davis and the Dredge

Man, he makes it look so easy. Sigh.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

He talks about the instrument and the name and then runs thru a little chord melody magic lesson.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

He is remarkable ... To do what he does on what could possibly be described as an Alto Cavaqhino really amazes me. If you watch him carefully, Eddy normally uses a three fret placement for his chords. It can be a bit difficult to follow as the angle of the camera to his lounge chair isn't the best to figure out his chord forms. As a side thought, it's a bit awkward to find but there is a small series of him playing a shortened National Steel - worth looking for.

Thanks Ambrose for posting this one - As a final thought, his Tenor Banjo instructions are mind altering - I think there are about 25 of those listed on Youse Tube it starts here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkrFUR5R4c but then gets a bit lost in the morass of You Tube directories.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamon View Post
    He is remarkable ... To do what he does on what could possibly be described as an Alto Cavaqhino really amazes me. If you watch him carefully, Eddy normally uses a three fret placement for his chords. It can be a bit difficult to follow as the angle of the camera to his lounge chair isn't the best to figure out his chord forms. As a side thought, it's a bit awkward to find but there is a small series of him playing a shortened National Steel - worth looking for.

Thanks Ambrose for posting this one - As a final thought, his Tenor Banjo instructions are mind altering - I think there are about 25 of those listed on Youse Tube it starts here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkrFUR5R4c but then gets a bit lost in the morass of You Tube directories.
    Dolamon: Can you clarify by what you mean by "three fret placement"? ED generally arranges using chord melody voicing. I know what that means but not sure what you are referring to.

BTW I see 10 numbered lessons among his currently 111 videos under mrgreenmeat. You can access all of them by clicking the button on top that says "111 videos".

I am glad you mentioned cavaquinho, because I own two cavaquinhos and it might be nice to tune them to tenor or possibly mandolin tuning. The cavaquinhos generally are tuned more in fourths (sort of) DGBD being the more common tuning at least in Brazil.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He mentioned viola tuning, which made me think his fingerings would be appropriate for a mandola. Phil Vinyard posted a bunch of three-note chord charts recently, "survival chords"
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...rt-Frustration
    which might make good reading while watching Eddie Davis here IF I understand what is happening. (Which I may not.)
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Is it steel strung?

Yes, steel strung. There's only one of these out there at the moment, but operators are standing by...eck

10. The following members say thank you to earnest for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by earnest View Post
    Yes, steel strung. There's only one of these out there at the moment, but operators are standing by...eck
    Joel, could you please explain the choice of scale length? Did it start out as a long neck tenor uke? I have an electric mandola (Eastwood) which has a scale of 18" or so and it seems like a nice scale length for 5ths tuning. As does the 21" Regal. As I'm a lefty I don't get to try out many instruments, but the 23" scale seems long for some of the stretches involved, and CGDA tuning seems right at the breaking point, at least for A strings. Yet this scale length became the standard....