Thread: Slide tuning?

Question Slide tuning?

I've got this new (to me) Mandobird sitting in the corner waiting on parts and then setup and its driving me crazy.
    I think I want to raise the bridge up a bit and doink around with some slide on it while I wait. I've got a buddy who is an amazing slide guitar player and I may be taking my toys to his house this weekend to goof around and being able to break out a slide Mando and noodle out a song would probably kill him.
    Any of you ever tried it on an 8 string? If so,can you recommend a slide tuning that would sound decent on this little beast?
    Sure, I can leave it standard tune and hack something out but where's the fun in that?
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

Default Re: Slide tuning?

No fun maybe but I find standard tuning works quite well.... because you have naturally occurring doublestops across two strings (eg 5th fret on the D string and 5th fret on the A string gives you a G and a D together - useful if you're playing a G blues etc) and as always everything repeats up and down the fretboard.

So you may not be getting full four note slides but you can get some cool sounds this way:

http://soundcloud.com/marc-woodward/shunting-yard-blues

Cheers,
    Marc
    http://www.youtube.com/marcowoodward

Andy Manson 3 point F5;
    Gibson 1920 F2;
    Vega Guiseppe Pettine Special;
    Weber Abrasoka octave mandolin-
    and various others!

3. The following members say thank you to Marc Woodward for this post:

Marc, thanks for the quick reply. I'm still very new at the Mandolin so I didn't even think of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also, thank you VERY much for the link to the sample/example of your stuff. You certainly have the chops to back up your advice. The mandolin on that song was impressive to say the least and a pleasure to listen you. You've both inspired me and made me want to give up mandolin and buy a kazoo.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

Thanks Padawan, keep the mandolin but buy a kazoo anyway, always good when you've had enough of visitors at Christmas/holiday time!
    If you're interested in more slidey stuff have a look at the 'Obsessed with Octave mandolin' thread under the CBOM section - I posted a vid of some slide blues on an OM!

Cheers,
    Marc
    http://www.youtube.com/marcowoodward

Andy Manson 3 point F5;
    Gibson 1920 F2;
    Vega Guiseppe Pettine Special;
    Weber Abrasoka octave mandolin-
    and various others!

Good point. A kazoo would probably get rid of guests quicker than terrible cooking. I've added it to my shopping list.

I'm on my way to find that video now.

Thanks again,

Steve

Update: I just watched the video. What the heck have you been feeding that Mandolin? It's HUGE!
    Seriously, that some impressive picking. I think I'm going to have to bookmark that video for inspiration.
    Thanks again

GDae, is pretty close to GDgd.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Yes, yes it is. That could be a fun one.
    Thanks Mandroid.