Thread: Sonya Isaacs in Shipshewana

Default Sonya Isaacs in Shipshewana

I had the privilege of seeing the Isaacs in Shipshewana, Indiana this Labor Day Weekend. They harmonize the way only a family can, and Sonya Isaacs is arguably the best female vocalist in Bluegrass.

But, Sonya is a great mandolin player as well. I took some pictures of her on her custom Gibson Fern and a banjolin. Her custom is discussed in another thread here, but I was able to glean more info from her ...

Sonya told me that her Gibson was damaged with a hole acquired on stage. She gave it to Gibson to repair and the repaired mandolin was destoyed in the flood years back. They were able to save the fretboard with the elaborate inlay on another body, so the fretboard has actually been on 3 mandolins.

Anyway, she autographed my Rattlesnake for me and told me that she liked the sound.

I could kick myself around the block for not taking a picture of her playing my Rattlesnake!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	088.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	91153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	095.jpg 
Views:	2359 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	91154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	094.jpg 
Views:	12071 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	91155  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sonya Isaacs in Shipshewana

Cool story. Sonya and the rest of the Isaacs are awesome performers. Rebecca and Lily there too? They don't seem to have much to do professionally at least with their father (husband), Joe Isaacs. He is a regular with the Cumberland Highlanders. You can see him every Saturday on RFD TV. But I do not recall a performance of the family with Joe. Not still togather?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie,

Yes, Rebecca & Lily are still with the Isaacs. I'm on my Smartphone now so I can't post the pix, but I will when I get home.

Joe & Lily divorced some time ago, which Sonya brought up in a question and answer part of the show. I think she does that so people don't ask, "Where's Joe?" Sonya's divorced and remarried herself so that's why she probably prefaced the Q and A's with, "Don’t ask anything embarrassing!" She said they're all on good terms and Lily smiled so that's good. I saw Joe give Sonya away in her wedding pictures. Her husband Jimmy plays banjo and guitar in the group and they look very happy together.

They are so incredibly gifted musically, but are as nice as can be when you meet them, which I've found true of almost all Southern Bluegrassers.

Bernie,

Here's some more shots with everybody else. The Bluegate Theater is so small, maybe 200 seats tops. There's not a bad seat in the house and the front row is so close you could almost touch the performers. These pix are from the 3rd last row!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	092.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	91175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	086.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	91176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	097.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	91177  

Blog Entries

Thanks! They are such classy people. I saw a video some place where they got together for a few songs with Vince Gill and Amy Grant -- what a performance.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Last night they were in Branson. They're at the Grand Ole Opry a lot and do the national anthem at stadiums. I have such admiration for people who could really cash in on their talent but choose to take the path less traveled because of their convictions.

Agreed, very much a class act and tons of talent. They harmonize beautifully and I have enjoyed John Bowman's guitar work as much as anybody's. They write some great songs, too. It's good to see folks who can ride lifes ups and downs and still maintain their faith and live it in front of the world.
    jBovier Vine
    Tacoma DR20
    VoyageAir OM-04

"Don't take much water to make a good cup of coffee"

I saw a review of them in a 1983 issue of Bluegrass Unlimited. However, they were called the Little Gospel Chipmunks at the time and were singing on their parents' album! The reviewer said he didn't like children singing on their parents' records but they certainly grew into some of the most talented artists in the business. I'd put them up against anyone vocally ... period.

Bernie...Joe married that young (?) lady that sings (?) with the Cumberland Highlanders, Stacy York, I`m sure you probably knew that if you watch the show regularly like I do....A lot of their shows are recorded months ago so maybe the marriage wasn`t recently...I am not sure...

Willie

I don't know anything about Joe's current marital status. I just know that Joe & Lily are divorced and it's apparently an amiable situation.
    Last edited by Mandolin Mick; Sep-24-2012 at 12:41pm.