Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Mando under $700???

Default Best Mando under $700???

Looking for some info on the best bang for my buck, under $700. There are so many options out there it is hard to sift through them all! I just started playing this summer on a super cheap rover but I play everyday and want a decent instrument. Any info would be great! What should I look for when buying especially online?
    Thanks

Default Re: Best Mando under $700???

Check out folkmusican website. Robert took good care of me and does a tremendous job setting them up.

I purchased a JBovier A5 from Jeff Cowherd a few years a go and it is a great mandolin.

4. The following members say thank you to Ernie Campbell for this post:

Right around the $500 mark is the Big Muddy.... American made round hole... Nothing fancy but a great mandolin for beginners getting really serious, like you. Read some of the comments on it on this site... almost universally praised as a great value for serious players. This instrument shoud carry you for a few years or a lifetime. My first was a Mid-Missouri (Same as Big Muddy) and I never regretted buying it. A broken steam pipe did it in... Darn!!!
    Bart McNeil

You didn't specify a genre of music which could narrow the field. Among the many Pac Rim products, you'll find The Loar (600s used or 500s new) and comparable Kentucky models get plenty of MC member votes for good value in that price range. For American made mandolins, Mid Missouris are well respected on MC and occasionally you'll find a used Morris in that range.
    ----------------------------------------
    2018 Collings MT2
    2014 Collings MT2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfeuerst View Post
    You didn't specify a genre of music which could narrow the field. .
    Yes. Best mandolin for what? The best for bluegrass may not be the best for old time may not be the best for traditional Irish may not be the best for classical may not be the best for jazz.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well the reason I started mando was for bluegrass so lets say the best for bluegrass! Theres so much to learn....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohiosurf View Post
    Theres so much to learn....
    Thats half the fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Learn the aspects of the various types of mandolin: mechanics, woods, hardware, tone. Start playing as many as you can in every music store and jam, and listen to what the pros are playing onstage. Study the various kinds of sound. Finally decide precisely what kind of instrument speaks to you best.

One thing you'll eventually notice, is that mandolins sound better with age. It's just one of the more obvious virtues of buying a used instrument. If you need more convincing, take a look at the much commented Cafe thread about the virtue of vintage, as well as "distressed instruments".

Now, religiously, start following the Cafe classifieds and EBay. I can guarantee that, with patience, you'll find a better playing instrument for $700 once you know what you want to buy, then anything you can find in a store.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Contact Dennis at the Mandolin Store. He's incredibly helpful and offers great prices. Plus, he has Ohio roots!

Eastman 315, a lot of mandolin for the money. You can get one with a gig bag for $660.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

If i were looking for the very best quality all purpose mandolin that costs less than 700 dollars, one that would be good for bluegrass but also just about any other style as well, I would be very tempted by this (NFI):

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9439
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Yea, that is a deal.
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Learn the aspects of the various types of mandolin: mechanics, woods, hardware, tone. Start playing as many as you can in every music store and jam, and listen to what the pros are playing onstage. Study the various kinds of sound. Finally decide precisely what kind of instrument speaks to you best.

One thing you'll eventually notice, is that mandolins sound better with age. It's just one of the more obvious virtues of buying a used instrument. If you need more convincing, take a look at the much commented Cafe thread about the virtue of vintage, as well as "distressed instruments".

Now, religiously, start following the Cafe classifieds and EBay. I can guarantee that, with patience, you'll find a better playing instrument for $700 once you know what you want to buy, then anything you can find in a store.
    This is the best advice...wish I had heard it a few years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pike View Post
    This is the best advice...wish I had heard it a few years ago...
    "Go into every music store and jam... " But don't buy a mandolin from a store. Really sound advice.

Most people would suggest you get more bang for your buck with an A-style. In A-style, I like the Eastman MD305 and also the Kentucky KM505. Just bought the KM505 from Dennis at the Mandolin Store and I'm very happy with it. Plays and sounds good, radiused fingerboard, and a decent case for $499. "The Loar" mandolins usually get high marks too. I just prefer a radiused board.
    -Robert T. -

"Go into every music store and jam... " But don't buy a mandolin from a store. Really sound advice.
    This is crazy.

Have you never spent time trying out instruments in a music store without feeling obligated to buy one of them? Tell the truth now.

Or for that matter, have you ever been in a music store, anywhere, where the staff refused to let you try an instrument unless you first promised to buy it?

It's called shopping.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

If everyone followed this advice there would be no more brick and mortar music stores. THEN where would you go to jam? Like the song say, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone."

I recently bought a Weber mandolin from a store and I was even prepare to pay a bit more than the on-line places because the ability to try them out first was of monetary value to me, as was the chance to leave with my purchase right then and there. But darned if I wasn't surprised to find out that the store actually BEAT the prices of every on-line source I looked at. I had a blast test driving everything on the wall and picking out my favorite. wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Of course, that is not to say you should feel obligated to buy something either. If nothing in the store floats your boat, that's life. And the store owner understands that. But if you genuinely love something in stock, and the price is competitive and reasonable, to me saying no thanks and buying the exact same thing on line so you can save 5 or 10 bucks is real low. After all, the guy at the store let you play his stock, probably for a long time, talked to you, gave you advice based on his expertise, and probably even set it up for you. The owner of the store I dealt with set the action to my specs WHILE I WAITED. Service like this is worth something, I know it, and I was willing to pay for it. BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TO! Even with NY sales tax of 7.5 percent the price still beat everyone I looked at. And if someone really pinches pennies that hard, you could offer the store the chance to match the on-line price- many will to make a sale.

In order to keep this fine system going I would ask my fellow musicians , when they "jam" at the store, please don't #### 'em full tilt to see if you will be able to drown out the banjo player, leaving non-manufacturer's "distressing" behind in your wake. The owners of the stores must walk a fine line line between letting people try them out and keeping their stock looking as new. Mine didn't have a scratch on it in spite of hanging on the wall for a considerable period of time. I would like to thank Trinity Guitars of Jamestown, NY for being one of the good stores with good people to work with, and also a big thank you to everyone who test-drove my Bitterroot A and didn't scratch it up!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Tomorrow I will post a thread of me test driving my The Loar LM 500 VS. Great mando for the money. Also there is a The Loar 600 or 2 on the classifieds here for a killer price. Meanwhile, here's me test driving the lowest priced The Loar LM 220 VS. Its crazy, when I first started playing mandolin as a teenager, my dad bought me a big name mando at a good price of $1300. That mandolin wasn't anywhere near as good as these LM 220s. The mandolin I'm referencing was bought 17/ 18 years ago, and I think the price for a new one was about $2200. Now you can get something for less than $400 that would blow it away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhevlqaVdLw
    Shawn Brock
    Free Mandolin and Guitar Lessons
    https://www.youtube.com/shawnbrockmusic
    www.shawnbrock.com

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

For just under $700, I bought an Eastman 504 last year (oval hole, probably not what you are looking for). For $795 I bought a 1918 Gibson A off ebay (also oval hole). I spent a lot of time reading up on what to look for on the Gibsons before I bought, though.

And... I actually like the playability of the Eastman better than the Gibson. They have very different tones, but I like the radiused fretboard and the neck shape of the Eastman better.
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post

I think he can find a good deal from a store without all that. In this price point, it's not like looking for a much higher priced instrument.
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post

If everyone followed this advice there would be no more brick and mortar music stores. THEN where would you go to jam? Like the song say, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone."

I recently bought a Weber mandolin from a store and I was even prepare to pay a bit more than the on-line places because the ability to try them out first was of monetary value to me, as was the chance to leave with my purchase right then and there. But darned if I wasn't surprised to find out that the store actually BEAT the prices of every on-line source I looked at. I had a blast test driving everything on the wall and picking out my favorite. wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Of course, that is not to say you should feel obligated to buy something either. If nothing in the store floats your boat, that's life. And the store owner understands that. But if you genuinely love something in stock, and the price is competitive and reasonable, to me saying no thanks and buying the exact same thing on line so you can save 5 or 10 bucks is real low. After all, the guy at the store let you play his stock, probably for a long time, talked to you, gave you advice based on his expertise, and probably even set it up for you. The owner of the store I dealt with set the action to my specs WHILE I WAITED. Service like this is worth something, I know it, and I was willing to pay for it. BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TO! Even with NY sales tax of 7.5 percent the price still beat everyone I looked at. And if someone really pinches pennies that hard, you could offer the store the chance to match the on-line price- many will to make a sale.

In order to keep this fine system going I would ask my fellow musicians , when they "jam" at the store, please don't #### 'em full tilt to see if you will be able to drown out the banjo player, leaving non-manufacturer's "distressing" behind in your wake. The owners of the stores must walk a fine line line between letting people try them out and keeping their stock looking as new. Mine didn't have a scratch on it in spite of hanging on the wall for a considerable period of time. I would like to thank Trinity Guitars of Jamestown, NY for being one of the good stores with good people to work with, and also a big thank you to everyone who test-drove my Bitterroot A and didn't scratch it up!
    That was the intent of my response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Campbell View Post
    I purchased a JBovier A5 from Jeff Cowherd a few years a go and it is a great mandolin.
    The radiused board and large frets of the JBovier A4 & A5 mandolins make them the only mandolins I'd consider in this price category.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Yes Cayuga red I get it now. You actually agree.with me an it was the poster you replied to that we both disagreed with. My apologies.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I didn't mean to pull anyone's cork. No one wants be an active party to the destruction of the bricks and mortar small business economy. I use my local music store all the time. For strings and picks. If you're new to the mandolin, or perhaps a parent with a kid who wants to try one, I'd always recommend looking in his music store for a Kentucky and the like. Anything less than $400.

Lets be honest about costs. I bought a used Eastman 515 a few years ago on the Cafe for $550. I saw a new one last week in a music store for about $1000. This is hardly a trivial difference. I'd favor the vintage one every time.

This thread was started by a guy looking for the best mandolin for $700. Sir, the more certain you are about what you really want to play, the less chance you have of being discouraged with what you eventually buy. And tune in to the Cafe thread focused on EBay and Craigslist. There's a bunch of us who chime in there whenever we discover anything worth sharing. It could just as well include a $700 bowlback, a $700 Eastman 650, a $700 1920s Martin.

Online shops and classified listings deserve our support as much as bricks and mortars. If vintage is your thing, and you don't live near to one of the 5 or 6 stores in the US that specialize in mandolins, online is the best choice by far.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)