Thread: Bluegrass Jam

I've been working quite hard improving my mando over the last 4-5 months. I'm good at all my chords/chomps. I'm still week on solo's. I have very few bluegrass songs memorized. But I have this burn to hang out and play with other bluegrass musicians. So I've found a bluegrass jam posted.

Quote Originally Posted by
    a high-energy Bluegrass jam session for experienced and intermediate players alike. Beginners also welcome
    Being fairly new to this still - I have never attended a "jam". I'm betting every jam is a bit different. Some players being nicer to newbs than others. Should I attend? Should I just show up and watch?

I don't want to ruin the evening for the accomplished musicians by trying to play songs I don't likely know and making mistakes. Any advice on what the ol' dogs expect from us young 'uns is needed. I'm a bit nervous about walking into this and not sure I should.
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

Go for it, you can always chop rythm. I've found most people to be friendly at jams, and if they're not friendly, you wouldn't want to be there anyway.

That quote looks a little familiar... Is that in seattle?

Oh also, it's a great way to get better at your instrument.

My first experience at about 6 months of playing was that everyone was friendly and all I did was play chop chords, listen and learn. Give it a go, they did say you were welcome!

I think you should go!! If you can play chop chords then you can play rhythm and that's all you'll need. If you don't feel comfortable taking solos yet...just pass on them. Have fun!!

My thought is...if they did not want beginners then they would not have posted that they are welcome. Even Big Mon was a beginner at some point. (Althought, I'm sure he was a better mandolin picker at birth then I'll ever be Ha!)
    Jump in there...you will learn a ton....fast.

Go. I think I get better after every jam, even though I rarely do anything but play rhythm. I usually learn one or two new songs from someone else, and the 'ear training' that comes from having to figure 'em out is priceless.

Have fun!

Go for it. Somebody will most likely ask what tune you want to play. You may respond you only know a couple and chances are you may not be able to play them quiet up to speed. Fortunatley, most bluegrassers are very encouraging and will be happy to give you a shot and play it at a tempo you are comfortable with. As stated above,
    you can always chop in the background. If you do not feel totally comfirtable, just take a step back and work on getting the feeling yourself. maybe ask if they mind if you tape them. Learn the names of the tunes they play so you have a goal to learn them. Oh yeah, I've been [playing 6years or so and started by learning from oe the the very respectable players, but I've progressed much faster by playing with others. One can know all the theory in the world, but there's alot more to it -such as timing.

Pen,

I gather this is a Denver ad. It looks like the Swallow Hill jam. If the ad is for the Swallow Hill jam you might look into the 8 week Intro to Bluegrass Jamming workshop that starts next Tuesday. Look on their website. I am going, so let me know if you decide to go.

Go and at least play rhythm along with the tunes... it's a great way to practice chord changes and also play in many differnt keys and play in time.

You can also just go and watch. There are always people watching, or sitting in the background just playing quietly. That's a good way to practice breaks too. Just stand outta the circle and noodle some breaks quietly or at regular volume when the banjo has a break since they'll drown you out anyway.

Stand beside or near the guitar and bass player and away from the banjo and fiddle players if possible so you can hear yourself and watch the chord changes and hear the boom for your chick.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Pen---definitely go! Do what the other posters suggested.

I'm in the same kind of situation as you. I've played mandolin a long time, but haven't jammed much. Too busy with my own band, and life.......

We do a lot of originals and some cover bluegrass tunes, but I was always one to try and figure out breaks on my own. Never really studied the masters as it were, and don't have many blugrass tunes memorized.

But a couple weeks ago I sat in with some experienced guys; guitar, banjo, bass, that play together weekly. It took me about 2 months to get up the nerve to go. Well it was a blast! I mostly chopped, did a couple breaks, followed the guitar player for the changes. And they did ask me back! So don't be intimidated. Go, do your thing, and have fun! And----good luck!

Jump right in, the best way to become better is to play with musicians better than you.

Just remember to keep your ears open and do whatever is necessary to make the music better. I've found that often involves laying back.

You will undoubtedly walk away a better musician every time you play with others.

Have a great time.

I say jump in head first. You will meet a lot of other musicians and you will learm many more new tunes. Music is meant to be a social thing, you might as well get out and socialize with like minded individuals. I've met a lot of good people , many who are at the same skill level as myself, and some whom I play with at our homes and smaller get togethers. They become an excellent resource and a challenge at the same time. There are no negative results to get out and jam. It will make you a better player as well as a better musician.

mike

Any old place i lay my head, is home sweet home to me . . .

you should always go to the jam, even if you only know two chords, just wait till they come around and hit them. alot of times at jams people call out for me to solo, and i'll scream out "NO!" but keep playin. or they'll say "play it pretty john" and ill say "this is as pretty as it gets!" i can joke and keep the rythm, im just tryin to see if they can laugh and keep the rythm.
    serious though, bluegrassers tend to be real nice people, and very laid back(with the exception of grisman) just go and have fun, people like and average picker with a laid back humble attitude alot more than they like a huge ego with constant noodlin'
    just keep your rythm, do a couple of fills, have some fun, and when they call for your solo, scream out "NEVER!!!" make em ask you a couple few times, then when you finnally give em a bad solo, they think youve done good, if you just barge right in and give a bad solo, they'll look at you negatively.
    have fun yo!
    Folk You

Go for it.
    I'm cleaning my garage for a jam tonight.
    Got James Monroe's banjo player ,A

Go for it.
    I'm cleaning my garage for a jam tonight.
    Got James Monroe's banjo player ,A good standup
    player, my mediocre mando playing ,good singer.
    Two average guitar player's and a beginner on mando.
    With a mix like that we have a ball.
    Matter of fact the other mando is the life of the party.
    Jump in when it sound's familiar and play kind of quiet when you dont quite know it.
    Ask question's when the time's right 'And you will learn alot.HAVE FUN

Since I was given such great advice - thought I would give you my feedback on the experience.

It was soooo fun!

There was a variety of skill levels there. Many better than me - but some that weren't. I was able to keep up on most songs. Man did I learn a lot. The comments that I would walk away a better player where dead on. I can't wait to attend the next one!

One question. I've noticed on many recordings I have that when jams are comming out of the solo leading back into the verse there would be a measure or 2 of chords between the 2 (I hope I explained that correctly). Last night, the leads led right back into the verse. What is more prevelant in jams?

Anyway - thanks again for the advice!
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

Well, there is the proof, there is more to music than sitting at home and playing with yourself. Jams are great for players of all skills.

It sounds like what you are asking about the "lead in" is sometimes called a bridge. It can be from one to 3 or 4 bars that allow the parts to blend into each other. It is also common for a key change to wind up to , or down to to get back into the regular part A or B. Its basically a transition that allows the parts to meet up, and as long as its done in-time it will usually fit in. It can be improvised in many ways. there is often a chord progression that follows the melody , as well.

mike

Sometime we hold that measure when singing between versus but when time for the break to come it's left out. Sometimes you just have to listen and hear that 1 beat.
    I like jams with tons of instrumentals and less singing.

Your playing will improve more in a night of playing with other people than it will playing by yourself for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by
    It was soooo fun!
    That's So Awesome!

The social aspect of bluegrass music and bluegrass jamming is what attracted me to it. It really woke up my love for music again. It just feels so good to be playing music with other people.

It's very true that playing with others, especially those who play better than you (which, in my case, is nearly everybody) can really help you improve.

Case in point for me: Last night, at a regular local intermediate BG jam, there was a newcomer in the circle playing mandolin who could really tear it up. #At one point, he called "St. Anne's Reel", one of my favorites, and started it off at a much faster pace than I can play it. #When the break came around to me, I found to my surprise that not only could I keep up, but I was playing it cleaner than I ever had before. #I've had those moments before, where my fingers are doing something I know they can't possibly do, and it's usually in the presence of someone whose skill and musicianship are truly inspiring. #Those are the moments that keep me playing mandolin and coming back to jams.

The stranger? #He was none other than Ken Sager, who happened to be in the area on business. #Thanks, Ken! #Love the sound of that Pomeroy!

Wow, thanks, Joe. It was a pleasure picking with you last night and you sounded great, too, by the way. That was a fun jam. Both you and the fellow next to me, who said he had only been playing a few months - I didn't catch his name, did really well. It was fun to play with the twin fiddlers who could obviously sight read quickly.

It was a great jam, and I'll come back to pick some more next time I'm in town.

All the best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.