Thread: C E Ward mandolins

Default C E Ward mandolins

Does anyone know how to date a CE Ward mandolin by the serial number? The one I have here doesn't have a date in it.

Thanks

Default Re: C E Ward mandolins

Skip Kelly may know, CE has a son Chuck i think, I believe he plays banjo in a bluegrass band calle Destination bluegrass.I think he also does repair work. CE built some great mandolins and super banjos. There is much info on him at the banjo hangout

David, I sent you a pm.

I'd be interested in hearing about CE's numbering sequence or dating. I'm borrowing one of his mandolins now and really like it. Serial number is 21199-49
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5

5. The following members say thank you to bud for this post:

I just won a C.E. Ward on eBay. Serial number is 41199-52. I'm guessing that's April 11, 2019 and the 52 Mando that year. Anybody?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CDSomerlock View Post
    I just won a C.E. Ward on eBay. Serial number is 41199-52. I'm guessing that's April 11, 2019 and the 52 Mando that year. Anybody?
    C.E. Ward died in 2009, and I doubt he ever approached building 52 mandolins in a year. I’d guess that 1999 is the more likely year it was completed.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

41199-52 would be 4-11-99, 52nd mandolin built . He did not number per year but consecutively.

On a positive note, many pickers around here have a very healthy respect for his instruments. I got my hands on one in a local pawn shop, and the box was right, the neck felt good, but it needed a new nut/bridge, a re-fret, and possibly (probably, based on how much they'd sanded the original bridge down, though the frets were down to nothing) a neck re-set. Had the seller been willing to negotiate I'd have considered it, but they'd just gotten it in and weren't willing to consider negotiation. It sat there for at least another year at the asking price, and I never pursued it further, as MAS took me in different directions...

Let us know what you think when you get it in your hands, and congratulations!
    Chuck