Thread: Flatiron A5 JR

Does anyone know what a 1986 Flatiron A5 JR would run these days? I have found one that I am thinking about picking up. It is in mint condition. No play wear at all. The finish is immaculate. Flame maple back and sides. Spruce top I think. I couldn't tell who it was signed by. Your hlep is greatly appreciated. Bobby
    Mandobobbin

No idea. Why don't you write a note to Stan at Elderly Instruments? #He'd be able to give you a wholesale price and from there you can guess what it's worth (most shops have between a 50-100% markup on instruments). #

You can also try emailing Bruce or anyone in sales at Sound to Earth. #'86 Flatirons were made by Weber and the gang in Bozeman back then so they'd probably have a good idea of what the instrument is going for now. #just a guess

Good luck!

Sweet Music International - Instruments, Bow Hair & Luthier Supplies. #Wholesale & Retail.
    http://www.sweetmusicinternational.com/

Thanks sweetmusic. I'll do that.
    Mandobobbin

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Also, you can check completed sales on ebay, where you will see: THIS MANDOLIN. High bid being just under $900.00 but there was a buy it now for $1700.00 or thereabouts. I would expect that the high bid is the more reasonable price - but who knows?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Hey, I have one of those! Folk of the Wood evaluated one at >$1500 - there's a link on the auction that fatt-dad listed. However, the few prices I've seen on them were in $1000-1200 range. Elderly sold a '96 in that range fairly recently (though the later ones differed from the 80's models).

My late '85 was signed by Steve Carlson.

D.H.

Does the person who signed it make a difference in price?
    Mandobobbin

Bobby, That is a difficult question to answer. I suppose there is some mistique and/or some prestige in having an instrument signed by a particularly recognizable shop foreman, luthier, company owner, etc. In this case, Steve Carlson founded Flatiron and this instrument would be an early sample of his work. Whether he actually built each of the mandolins that he signed is certainly doubtful, but each was quite possibly inspected and approved for release by him. Not all of the Flatiron models were signed. I guess one signed by Steve Carlson might be more attractive to someone than one signed by "Joe Blow" (who might be an "unknown" luthier in the shop). Would I spend $100 too much for the "privelege" of having that signature in my mandolin? Probably not, but you can be sure a Flatiron mandolin of that era should be a desirable instrument to own!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I am willing to bet that you would get more for a Carlson-signed mandolin than you would for a Weber-signed mandolin. I also would say the same for a Gibson signed by Darrington versus some of the other (very) qualified luthiers at Gibson.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Those 80s vintage Flatiron A Jrs can be real prizes--sold a mid 80s last year(round $1,250 I think)and regretted it as the UPS truck was leaving. Anyway, I think that was close to market price back then.

Thanks for all of the great responses. I think I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Just for kicks does anyone know any of the other luthiers that may have signed the label in 86? Didn't pay nuch attention who signed it yesterday when I had it in my hands. Also, I have done a search on serial #'s but can't find to much. I think the first two numbers are the year. For example 86xxxxxxxx. Will someone let me know if I am mistaken. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks again, Bobby
    Mandobobbin

First 2 numbers are the year it was made. 86 was the year before Gibson took over. Paul Jean Lewis at Weber/Sound to Earth could give you some ideas on folks that were there during that time. The A JR was their "entry level" model A style.

Ok guys and gals. I cant make out the signature real clear but it looks like Jeremy Baham?? If anyone knows who this might be? Thanks, Bobby
    Mandobobbin

Could be Dennis Behlin perhaps? I believe he was the production manager for a spell.

So did you buy it?

Bobby, Could that signature be Larry Barnwell? Dennis Balian was also there about the same time.

Thanks guys, It has to be Larry Barnwell. There is definately a Y at the end of the first name. Kind of sloppy butI'd have trouple trying to sign my name through an F hole too.

I really appreciate it. from the research that I have done the serial # starts with a 87 but believe this one was actually pre Gibson.

I did buy it but they have to hold it until the 18th. Making sure it wasn't stolen. It has such a good tone.
    Mandobobbin

Blog Entries

Yea there is a guy at a jam here with a Flatiron and it has super tone.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Bobby,

Should we be checking the classifieds in the next couple of days?

Hey DOug, glad you responded. Well I have to wait until the 18th to actually pick it up because they have to make sure it wasn't stolen. I am not sure if I will sell it or not yet but it is a possibility. If I do sell it, it will be at a good price though so I will let ya'll know.

By the way Doug. Ya'll did a great job on Saturday. Thanks.

Bobby
    Mandobobbin

Quote Originally Posted by (pickinNgrinnin @ Jan. 06 2005, 18:12)
    The A JR was their "entry level" model A style.
    Actually, not quite (at least from '87 on)...

The A5-JR has always been part of Flatiron's "Signature Series," their top o' the line carved mandolin line. It represented a tone bar alternative to the other two A's in the series (the A5 & the A5-Artist), both of which are x-braced mandos. Each instrument in the "Signature Series" came with a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

In 1987, Flatiron introduced the "Performer Series," a less expensive line of mandos, which included the models we know as the Performer A's & F's and the Festival A's & F's. Each of these mandos came from the factory with a limited five-year warranty as opposed to the lifetime warranty included with the "Signature Series" mandos, such as the A5-JR.

For comparison sake, Mandolin Bros. 1996 catalog lists the MSRP of the Festival A at $1149, the Performer A at $1199 and the A5-JR at $1409.
    "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." -Bob Dylan

This one is back from the grave

The Jr. is the entry model in the Signature Series.

I own an A-5 Jr and have played 2 others. They have all had highly flamed wood and all sounded great. Lots of punch, chop snd sustain. I have always been pleasantly pleased with the A-5 Jr line. These are some of the best value for the sound mandolins out there if you can find one...Gary S