Thread: San Anotonio Rose

Default San Anotonio Rose

Has anyone else tried this in bluegrass fashion? I've been playing it and I just love it - singing it in G. I don't know what key bill willis or ferlin husky sang it in but I think patsy did it in E which is WAY too low to me. Anyway I think it fits the high lonesome sound well and the melody line leaves so much to play with for an instrumental.

I can't wait to see how it's received at my next jam...

Default Re: San Anotonio Rose

I think Larry Sparks recorded it some time back, don`t know what key he played it in or what label he was on at the time....I seem to recall The Seldom Scene doing it also, might be wrong about all of this though...

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarai View Post
    Has anyone else tried this in bluegrass fashion? I've been playing it and I just love it - singing it in G. I don't know what key bill willis or ferlin husky sang it in but I think patsy did it in E which is WAY too low to me. Anyway I think it fits the high lonesome sound well and the melody line leaves so much to play with for an instrumental.

I can't wait to see how it's received at my next jam...
    Who is/was Bill Willis? Ever since Bob WIlls' horn version with Tommy Duncan singing, it's customary to start in D, and then modulate to Ab for the vocal segment. D-F7-Bb7-Eb7 I believe. Im pretty sure the Seldom Scene did it in D all the way, as a solo feature fo John Duffey.

And Buck White did this one, complete with piano up on a bluegrass stage. I think he did it in the key of Swing...

Reno and Smiley used to play it. Key of C and then modulated to G if I remember right.