Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok...so I have $2000 to spend, what should I do?

Default Ok...so I have $2000 to spend, what should I do?

After years of beating on my little old Kentucky, I have decided to upgrade. I have scroll envy, but I realize that I could buy a great a-style mandolin that won't break my budget.

I have read that a lot of you guys love Collins' mandos, specifically the MT, especially for the price range (if you buy used.) Are there any other ones that I should be keeping my eye out for?

I've found a 2001 Webber Abaroksa (with a k&k pick up, new webber bridge, and great action) near me that I have played and really liked for $1600, but I have a little concern about the price. Is this a little too steep for this mando?

What would you do if you were me?

Default Re: Ok...so I have $2000 to spend, what should I do?

Yes its a little steep. We usually get around $1199 for one of those. There is one in the cafe classifieds for $975 right now. Ad Number 58801
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Yes too much about a $1000 - 1200. Newer Weber Galatin A are real nice also

If you have $2K, call or email Ken Ratcliff re his Silver Angel A-5 mandolins.

If I were you I'd save another $400-500 and get a used Collings MT-2. Or you can find a used Ratliff F5 for around $2,000. I had one when I first got serious about playing and it was a nice mandolin for the money. The Collings MT is nice too and can be had for $1,600-1,800. Have you scanned the classifieds here?

I have an MT and so think that would be a fine choice. But if I had 2K to spend right now I'd be on this right here:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6131.htm

Or, give Bill a call and see if he can build you one to meet your budget.

He makes a great mandolin!

Z
    Member since 2003!

Get the MT and use the rest of the money to get a rug that really ties the room together, unless you already have that.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Heh Dude........if you have $2 K to spend you won't be in the ball park for a Collings mando unless you go used & that is certainly a reasonable consideration. Go check out The Mandolin Store website.......nice new mandos there in your price range such as an Eastman MD815, Kentucky KM 1000 or KM 1500.....all F-models. Also a used W3eber Special Edition for $1500.
    Check the Mandolin Cafe classifieds too......often some amazing deals there.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

Carlson signed A5L at elderly for 2100

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    Yes its a little steep. We usually get around $1199 for one of those. There is one in the cafe classifieds for $975 right now. Ad Number 58801
    My thoughts exactly, I've looked around and $1600 seemed pretty expensive.

What are everyone's thoughts on buying online vs. buying in person? I've bought my first mando at the Mandolin Store (I love you guys!) and I would gladly buy there again, but I have a certain level of apprehension over buying a mando without playing it. Am I over thinking it?

I scan the classifieds pretty regularly and also am subscribed to the RSS feed, I've seem some great looking mandolins, but without knowing how they play/sound, I find it really hard to pull the trigger.

Blog Entries

I will be selling mine since I never play it (Less than 2 hours in 3 or 4 years. ) and I'll ask $1199 for it. Might take less but not much since it's been reworked and set up to play like butter. Buying on the classifieds saves even more money if you factor in no taxes. $1600 is a little high.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

This one would be my pick for what you have to spend.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/58818
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

The Mandolin Store is great, and you could get an awesome USA built Lafferty well within your price range. I have owned many of the brands mentioned in this thread, some much more expensive than the Lafferty. . . but I currently own two Laffertys, and nothing I have owned or played comes close! Do yourself a big favor and talk to Dennis about a Lafferty. You won't regret it.

Bruce

I agree with Bruce. I got a f-style Lafferty from the Mandolin Store a few months ago. Great mandolin. I played a bunch of different mandolins in their store for three hours before deciding on the Lafferty. Love it. It sounds great, feels well constructed and I think has a classy simple look. It really feels and plays like a more expensive mandolin. Plus, they are great to deal with.

Carpe Mandolinium

Dennis, whose livelihood depends upon selling mandolins (and a few other things), just gave away a sale.

Maybe you should give him a call--it's toll-free. And everybody there is terrific to work with; they'll bend over backwards to help, as if Dennis' comment weren't already proof of that.
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

Usually a question such as this generates as many different suggestions as there are responses - which is why I love reading the threads. This time, there might be something like a consensus for a change, which is interesting in itself. A man who has built a thousand mandolins must be doing something right. I've never seen or heard a Ratliffe, but at the moment they've got me convinced.

rm

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on buying online vs. buying in person? I've bought my first mando at the Mandolin Store (I love you guys!) and I would gladly buy there again, but I have a certain level of apprehension over buying a mando without playing it. Am I over thinking it?
    Yes, you are! Dennis will go out of his way to make sure you're satisfied. Several years ago, I traded in a Gallatin for an upgrade to a Gibson F-9. Dennis gave me a great deal and made the whole process hassle free. No reason to be apprehensive!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Quote Originally Posted by NG53 View Post
    If you have $2K, call or email Ken Ratcliff re his Silver Angel A-5 mandolins.
    I'll second this; I've had good experiences through two builds with Ken.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baptist mando55 View Post
    Carlson signed A5L at elderly for 2100
    ^+1

How could you go wrong? I'm just not sure whether it'd be x-braced or parallel. Either would be o.k. I'd just want to know.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I thought the Lafferty's were China built mandos ? Thats not a bad thing, I have a Loar thats pretty dadgum good mando

If I had $2000, I'd go after the Weber SE.......great mando for the price, There arent many used ones, which tells me that its the right price for a well built mando.
    One day I'll stop all this crazy buyin', practicin', and playin'........course I'll be dead.......

Quote Originally Posted by kirksdad View Post
    I thought the Lafferty's were China built mandos ? Thats not a bad thing, I have a Loar thats pretty dadgum good mando

If I had $2000, I'd go after the Weber SE.......great mando for the price, There arent many used ones, which tells me that its the right price for a well built mando.
    Most of the Laffertys are built right here in the good ole US of A. There is one Asian built model that Dennis offers for a price point, but if you look at his site, it is very prominently noted that it is Asian built. Same for the US built models... very prominently noted that they are US built. IMHO, nothing even remotely close in price holds a candle to the Laffertys. I've owned several others mentioned, and played many more. Dennis is a very straight shooter, and has done an outstanding job with these Laffertys. Dennis has the Webers, Collings, and more. Ask him for his honest opinion. He will give it to you and you absolutely cannot go wrong when dealing with him.

Bruce

No one is suggesting Dennis is not "being a straight shooter", sorry you couldn't see that. I've dealt with him and his son numerous times, and gotten good deals.

As I mentioned, If I had $2000 I would go after the Weber SE, which only offered at the Mando store.
    I have recommended that model numerous times on the board and in PM's, owned myself before moving up to a Yellowstone.

If you have an issue with I stated, you can PM me side bar....

Philip
    One day I'll stop all this crazy buyin', practicin', and playin'........course I'll be dead.......

No one is suggesting Dennis is not "being a straight shooter" sorry you couldn't see that. I've dealt with him and his son numerous times, with good deals.

As I mentioned, If I had $2000 I would go after the Weber SE, which only offered at the Mando store.

Philip
    Phillip,

I don't believe I said, and definatley didn't mean to infer, that you were saying anything negative about Dennis. If I came across that way, you have my apology. I was just trying to offer evidence to back up my statements, as well as my first hand experience in dealing with him for many years.

Bruce

Bruce;

Duly noted. I have had good experiences with him too. I realize that Lafferty's are American built with recent models at a low price point coming from PACRIM.

I think everyone would agree that TMS has all price points, levels , and makers covered very well.

Philip (with one "L")

Blog Entries

I thought the Lafferty's were China built mandos ? Thats not a bad thing, I have a Loar thats pretty dadgum good mando.
    Unless you want to make a point of buying American.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.