Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

We pay a visit to the Charles Street Synagogue in New York City, home to the Andy Statman Trio and share our experiences hearing Andy's group live.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewsFetcher For This Useful Post:

Default Re: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

An interesting write up! Scott, Andy Statman comes on a regular basis to the Mandolin Symposium, which will be celebrating it's 10th anniversary next June. Maybe you can
    join us.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Great reporting Scott--thanks. Would love to go there sometime.

I last saw Andy at the old Camp Springs, NC Bluegrass Festival in the mid/late 70's, with Breakfast Special.--what great show! You can imagine the comments of the hard core BG fans when Andy switched to clarinet.
    Russ Jordan

Nice write up, Scott. It's hard to put into words, but seeing Andy's trio is always a pleasure and often a surprise.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Great review Scott... other than the actual sounds I think you captured an evening in Andyland just perfectly. Wish I had been there!

Scott,

What a great story - it reminded me of the experience Nancy and I had at the synagogue.

In February 2007, Andy came to Wisconsin and did a workshop in our home. People came from all over - including Don Julin from Michigan - in a blinding snow storm. It was a great session and I discovered what a warm person Andy is. He had just received the Kimble and it was pretty raw sounding, but it was clear that it would develop into one of Will's finest mandolins.

We traveled to New York in March of 2009 and I called Andy to ask what nights they had shows. He seemed genuinely excited that we were coming. We arrived at the Charles St. synagogue on a Monday night, if memory serves, and saw the "Bluegrass Tonight" sign, though it was nowhere as fancy as the one you have pictured. We entered the basement "concert hall" that I thought more resembled a storage room. There were around 25 seats and, of course, Herman was there to greet everyone and extoll the virtues of Andy and the trio. Andy was getting ready for the show and greeted us like long lost family. He was excited for me to play the Kimble and I was totally stunned! I was at Mandolin Bros. earlier in the day and played a near perfect Loar, a stunning blond Collings and a Giacomel J5 and it bested all of them.

Herman offered me a Scotch (sorry, the single malts are gone) and I accepted but he would take no payment. We were given front row seats and when he introduced the show (from the back) he said that Jim Whitney could not be there. He apologized but suggested that it could actually be an advantage because it would allow for more and greater improvisation from Andy and Larry. He also asked for contributions and mentioned that $15 would be a very nice amount - if you could afford it. As I was counting out my money, a hand came to rest on my shoulder and Herman's voice warned, "Your money is not accepted here."

The concert that followed was spectacular - freely improvised - sometimes beginning with a bit of a riff that Andy played on his mandolin, augmented by the rhythms of Larry's percussion - sometimes a familiar melody taken to the stratosphere. The only thing bluegrass was a blindingly fast straight up version of Back Up and Push as an encore. Everything was totally musical, endlessly interesting and ranging from soulful to spiritual. One of the greatest evenings of music and culture in memory. Thanks for bringing it back.

Jim Nikora
    Jim Nikora

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jnikora For This Useful Post:

Question Re: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

Quote Originally Posted by mando Nick View Post
    An interesting write up! Scott, Andy Statman comes on a regular basis to the Mandolin Symposium, which will be celebrating it's 10th anniversary next June. Maybe you can join us. Nick Royal Santa Cruz, CA
    Nick~ Next year will be 2013, and the first mandolin symposium was in 2004. Throw away that calculator..

Great story Scott! I got to hang with Andy a fair amount this year at the Symposium and hope to make it to NY for a Charles Street performance. Andy is a very special mandolin player and human being.

Blog Entries

This just strenthens my resolve to go to NYC and see them in person. A bucket list item for sure.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Nick~ Next year will be 2013, and the first mandolin symposium was in 2004. Throw away that calculator..
    04, 05, 06, 07,08,09,10, 11,12,13

Count 'em!~
    Russ Jordan

Nice article Scott, though I believe any city can be "cold and cruel". I need to get down there for a show. The hand drawn poster is perfect and says it all.

"JEStanek
    Re: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

This just strenthens my resolve to go to NYC and see them in person. A bucket list item for sure.

Jamie"

How about picking me up on the way?
    Fred

Thanks a ton, Scott, for that wonderful article. I am lucky to live not so far from NYC. I have to make it one of these days. I know Andy from way back in the 1970s bluegrass and old time scene but haven't seen him play recently.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A fine tribute to a great musician, and a caring, patient teacher. I'm embarrassed to say that I live in New York, and haven't seen him in concert yet, though I've been to his home. I will make a point of doing so now. Thanks Scott for reminding me how much I'm missing.

Andy's Kimble needed a refret already??? I think that he's only had it for a few years now, but of course, the lifespan of frets is measured in notes, rather than years. Given the way that Andy plays ...
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Lovely piece, Scott. My favorite aspect of all this is how a truly great musician is happiest playing in a low-key, extremely informal environment. The people are just happy to be there, and Andy's just happy to be playing. Magic.

This makes me want to have a little holiday to myself. Plane from Scotland to New York to see Andy Statman? Sounds like it's worth twice the price. Nice article Scott.
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    04, 05, 06, 07,08,09,10, 11,12,13

Count 'em!~
    Oops - I'll be washing the egg off my face now..

I first saw Andy Statman in Buffalo at the U of B when he guest appeared with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. He pretty much stole the show. Not an easy thing to do on that stage. After that I started to play mandolin myself. I hope to see him at the shul in November when I visit NY City. BTW great article

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Andy's Kimble needed a refret already??? I think that he's only had it for a few years now, but of course, the lifespan of frets is measured in notes, rather than years. Given the way that Andy plays ...
    Remember what he did to his old Gibson!

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Remember what he did to his old Gibson!
    What did he do to his old Gibson (aside from playing the hell out of it and the mojo into it)?

What did he do to his old Gibson (aside from playing the hell out of it and the mojo into it)?
    A picture is worth...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snakehead.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	90418  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A picture is worth...
    He played it, then!

Because of Scott’s article, I caught Andy’s show on Thursday night (8/16) during my coinciding first-ever visit to NYC. I can say that Scott did an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere, the personalities, the music, the neighborhood, and so on. I have just a couple of additional comments.

I am an avid mandolin fan, the mandolin having taken over an enormous and rewarding part of my life the last fifteen years or more. Nevertheless, Andy’s spectacular clarinet playing on Thursday night was every bit as enjoyable to me as was his over-the-top mandolin work. My wife, a professional musician, was absolutely floored by Andy’s clarinet playing. So consider yourself fortunate if you catch Andy in concert when he has his clarinet along.

Before the concert began I met fellow Mandolin-Café member, Steve, who also was at the concert as a result of Scott’s article. Steve went to the concert expecting more of a traditional bluegrass sound, but was thrilled to have his spectrum of mandolin appreciation stretched significantly by Andy’s unique approach to the mandolin and to bluegrass. Hopefully Steve will chime in here as well.

Prior to last Thursday night I had never met Andy. What a genuine and nice fellow he is. Several of the above Posts address Andy’s great personality in one way or another, so I won’t say more here.

Herman is not only a treasure, he is a kick in the pants with an endearing personality and great stories. A person would be hard-pressed to find a kinder person than Herman. After our visiting with him for quite a long time after the concert, my wife casually asked Herman for directions to the nearest subway stop for our getting back uptown (the synagogue is downtown). Rather than leave anything to chance, Herman insisted on walking us the three blocks to the subway stop, entertaining us with insight and stories along the way. As we bid a fond farewell to Herman at the top of the subway stairs I found myself wishing the walk with him had lasted another ten blocks or so.

So bottom line: Yes, do indeed make plans to attend one of Andy’s concerts at the synagogue—53 Charles St. in West Village (easy to find). Surely the experience will stay with you for a lifetime. If like me (like I was, that is), you are intimidated about the prospect of visiting NYC, then don’t be. NYC is a terrific place to visit…heck, I would move to Manhattan permanently if I thought I could afford to do so.
    Last edited by Potosimando; Aug-18-2012 at 2:26pm. Reason: spelling

27. The following members say thank you to Potosimando for this post:

i played Andy's legendary snakehead mandolin right before he acquired it in basically "brand new" condition... it was pristine. that mandolin sounded fantastic before Andy ever touched it... it was just an exceptionally great mandolin... as some of them, of course, are. that mandolin, like Bill's F5, David's Crusher, Sam's Hoss... etc... is just one of those eternally notorious instruments!