Thread: Taka mandolin

Question Taka mandolin

Anyone out there ever play a Taka? They are made in Japan.
    I own an F style Taka and love it, but can't find any info on it. I bought it used and would love to hear any feedback or opinions on these mandolins since it's the only one I've run across.

Default Re: Taka mandolin

Did a bit of Googling, and found probably just what you did: Taka is an Asian import nameplate, which some suspect is used to fool buyers into thinking the instruments are made by the better-known Takamine company. Most of the references I found were for 6- and 12-string acoustic guitars, in the $75-200 range; some are mentioned as having solid tops, laminated back and sides. No one seems to know who builds them, but there was general satisfaction with the instruments as being decently made for the price. I couldn't find a US distributor identified, and several of the people posting said they'd bought their Takas in pawn shops, etc.

If you post a picture, some of the knowledgeable Cafe members may be able to ID the builder from the appearance of the mandolin. Or, maybe not.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have a Taka mandolin. F-style flat scroll(no carved center peak) The neck set was too flat so I removed the neck and never have put it back in. the neck block is really sorry mahogany and it shredded when I removed the neck. I bought from some friends in Florida who bought it new back in the 70's. It had a good sound,k just hard to play, even with thebridge all the way down.

A little late to the discussion but I also have a Taka. I thought I was the only one.....secretly I was hopeing it was worth millions....

Bought it from California on e-Bay, love it and it stays in tune.....amazing.

Default Taka M-45 "Jethro Style" two point oval

Found this at a pawn shop... $150 including case (I'm gonna use the case for a custom that is being built for me anyways).. Ain't no Gibson A-5 but I've always wanted a jethro two point oval haha so I had to pick it up

Can't find much info on this.. oval is bound, so is this a laminate? Anyone have any other info on this? Made in Japan, no date, no other info besides Taka and "Model no M-45"on the sticker

Not the greatest finish, but it looks to be in decent condition..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140114_191851.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	112611
    photos horrible too, sorry, just for ref. can someone move this to the correct section?
    Last edited by keebler; Jan-14-2014 at 11:17pm.

Blog Entries

How does it sound?
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

(Thanks for the move admins)

It actually sounds pretty darn good for what I was expecting. It is no prewar Gibson oval, but a similar sound; woody and open, some bite (less bite and volume then a true gibson oval) in threw some J74's on there.. The fretboard is in great shape (very little wear), straight, flat, no issues, no dead spots, plays actually great, some of the frets were rounded at the edges with a little too much effort but doesn't effect sound.

I'll try to get some better photos and a soundclip of it tonight. Does anyone know the era this was built in? It kinda looks like a 70's instrument.

Blog Entries

Cool. You can't ask for more than that.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Looks like one of those '70's-'80's Japanese two-points, like the Aria AM-500; thread.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks a whole bunch for the info Allen!!!

Yes, it is def the exact model as the AM-500.. even same headstock inlay except different name, possibly marketed to the USA. Somehow Taka would seem to hit a better American market then the name Aria? who knows, but not a bad mando for what I got it for.

Even though this is an old thread, I’ll add that yesterday I was cleaning and stringing an F-style f hole Taka for a friend. Looks to be 70’s but no label inside.
    It plays decently and I cannot tell if it is solid too. It was owned by a fiddler and the action is good. Another fiddler is going to use it to learn mando while shoulder recovers. Hah.
    I was wondering about value as well.
    Last edited by ChopNBark; Jul-25-2022 at 9:50am. Reason: Grammar