Thread: Old ibanez mandolin HELP

Default Old ibanez mandolin HELP

I won a mandolin this weekend in a raffle and dying to figure out how much it's worth for curiosity's sake. Can't post pics at the moment but it is not a bowl back (I'm not a mandolin expert just a beginner so I supposed I'd describe it as a flat back. Don't know if that's the term.) the only kind of identification is a sort of cloth sticker inside that says Ibanez and it also says "ancienne fondee fn 1881" which I believe to mean "old house founded in 1881". All of this plus the information that this mandolin belonged to a man named Jay Owens who played it all his life and had owned it since 1932 leads me to believe it is a very old, very early model of ibanez mandolins. If anyOne has any more information on this or a way to get more information please help out. Thanks :D
    Last edited by OldTime18; Jul-29-2012 at 8:37am. Reason: Wrong word

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old ibanez mandolin HELP

Is this a Salvador Ibanez (Spain), by any chance? This was a well established family guitar and mandolin business, which ended during the Spanish Civil war. The rights to the name were then purchased by the Japanese company which we now tend to think of when hearing the name "Ibanez". Photos would of course help greatly....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Default Re: Old ibanez mandolin HELP

Right if I could post photos I would but unfortunately I don't have a way to use the Internet other than m iPhone. I do believe it is a Salvador ibanez mandolin from the little I have been able to figure out. But I can't find anything about the value of these instruments.
    Let me see what I can do about a photo