Thread: Any sources of pre-graduated tops and backs?

Default Any sources of pre-graduated tops and backs?

I'd like to build myself an A-style mandolin. But, being honest with myself I don't want to reinvest in specialized finger planes and such for carving tops and backs.

I built myself an F-style SM kit about 10 yrs ago, and bought the finger planes and other specialized tools. Wound up selling them off after not building another.

I've still got a good many power and hand tools for general woodworking, but nothing for carving the top/back.

Is there a good source to buy a nice top and back already carved and hand graduated?
    Mike
    Grasp things by the smooth handle - Tom Jefferson

Default Re: Any sources of pre-graduated tops and backs?

Check waldronmusic.com. I didn't see just plates on their site but they would probably work with you.

You can get them at: http://www.siminoff.net/
    -Robert T. -

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

You don't really need specialized finger planes. A very sharp gouge, a properly shaped scraper, sandpaper, and creativity will get you there. Carving is the heart of mandolin building so I'd encourage you to try it. A pre-carved top will still need fine tuning.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    You don't really need specialized finger planes. A very sharp gouge, a properly shaped scraper, sandpaper, and creativity will get you there. Carving is the heart of mandolin building so I'd encourage you to try it. A pre-carved top will still need fine tuning.
    Bill
    I have done it. I carved my F5 in 2002 down to Loar specs. But without a plane(s) and thickness gauge I don't want to do it myself.
    Mike

Hey, Mike
    Here' another source I came across a while back.
    http://smithcreekmandolin.com/cnccarvingservice.html
    He doesn't show any a style plates, wouldn't hurt to check.

Good,luck

I have a CNC spindle and make mandolin and mandola tops. back and necks - amongst many other things. Currently I have 4 models: your basic F5, A5, H5 and what I call Asy2 (Asymmetrical - 2 point - which is sort of patterned after a a Lyon & Healy). I can cut from my existing stock of nice woods or whatever you would like me to cut it out of. Just send me what you have and I will cut it. I can leave it a bit thick so that you can carve the inside to the final thickness/stiffness.

bahed@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by HSI View Post
    I have a CNC spindle and make mandolin and mandola tops. back and necks - amongst many other things. Currently I have 4 models: your basic F5, A5, H5 and what I call Asy2 (Asymmetrical - 2 point - which is sort of patterned after a a Lyon & Healy). I can cut from my existing stock of nice woods or whatever you would like me to cut it out of. Just send me what you have and I will cut it. I can leave it a bit thick so that you can carve the inside to the final thickness/stiffness.

bahed@yahoo.com
    No offense intended, but your post makes me wonder if you read and understood my original post at all.
    Mike

No offense taken. With the several sources that have been provided to you - they are all similar: carved on a CNC machine. All that is left to do is to finish it even with just sandpaper. They are already that close. Now, are there people out there willing to provide plates that are "hand graduated" ? I'm pretty sure any company that CNC carves the plates would finish if for you to your specs. Just contact any of them and ask.

10. The following members say thank you to HSI for this post:

MikeVB