Thread: Yank Rachell Indianapolis 1990s

Default Yank Rachell Indianapolis 1990s

I'm wondering if anyone here saw Yank open up for Jerry Lee Lewis at the World Marti Gras (no longer in business) in Indy in the 1990s. I'm looking for the set list. I was there, and I have the contract signed for the show. I'd like to put together a memorium/display case.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yank Rachell Indianapolis 1990s

No, However ... In another lifetime, I made the acquaintance of an Indianapolis musician named Yun Hui (now Yuni) Percifield, who knew Yank and did some gigs with him. She may be of some assistance. A quick google should turn up contact info. Warning: Great singer, but her music is very different from his.

Good luck with this project. Sounds very interesting.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Since I hate finding erroneous information on the interweb, I doubly hate it when I provide the same. So I often to check whether I have just said is true. In this case, I was also curious about Yun Hui, as it has been over ten years and her music even when I had some brief contact with her as mercurial. So as to that quick google - well, I'm still looking for a real website. It may be out there, it should be out there, I just haven't found it yet. She seems to have moved to LA area. And I did turn up this rather nice remembrance; it may be useful. It presents a well-rounded picture of the man, and is well worth reading.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Great info, thanks. She may very well have been with him on stage during the show. Another piece of the puzzle.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

You might try reaching out to Rich DelGrosso, he apparently knew Yank quite well, and played with him on a number of occasions. Not sure what kinds of records he may have kept, but there's good potential.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Have you tried reaching out to Allen Stratyner? Pat Webb? John Sebastian? Mike Butler? All people that Yank knew or worked with in his later years.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Have you tried reaching out to Allen Stratyner? Pat Webb? John Sebastian? Mike Butler? All people that Yank knew or worked with in his later years.
    Allen Stratyner, Pat Webb, or Mike Butler would be good choices, though Allen is the more likely of these three. Rich, to the best of my knowledge, really wasn't doing any gigging with him at that time. His 90's band was a bit different. His daughter would have been the bassist and most likely Gordon Bonham--my musical cohort--was the guitarist. Gordon's website is gordonbonham.com and you can give him a try.

This should be remembered--Yank really didn't work from a set list. He started playing a tune and you were expected to jump in. I have two very rare never-released concert videos from the early to mid 90's that I'll try to take a look at them soon to give you an idea of what he most likely played.

Blog Entries

The mention of Sebastian reminded me ... Back in 2000 when I spent a weekend in Woodstock with the Philadephia Jug Band recording our album at Nevessa Studios - suggested by Sebastian, whom someone in the band had contacted - I noticed in the stacks a reel of tape marked Yank Rachel. I don't know whether that was recorded there (I assume so) or whether Sebastian was involved (I assume so), but it was real cool to see. And it was real nice of him to drop by Sunday afternoon to see how things were going, get his picture taken with us, and just hang out for a bit. Really nice guy, very open and accessible. I imagine he is probably very easy to track down and would be very helpful if he can be.