Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good price on '97 Gibson F5-G

Default Re: Good price on '97 Gibson F5-G

If you don't like how the mandolin sounds, don't buy it for any amount of money unless you just plan on selling/trading it. Make sure it is real though. It's too cheap so I would question it.
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

Blog Entries

It would not surprise me to find someone else has bought it before you decide............
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I'd stick to saving for the Breedlove.

All great advice.

I contacted the seller and last I heard he was going to take it out of storage, see which builder signed it and take some pictures for me.

I'm going to play it for a while before I buy, and if I'm not thoroughly impressed after new strings and a few adjustments then I'll stick with a different mando.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    Jack - $2400 is a good buy but keep in mind that in 1997 this would still have the mortoise and tenon neck joint and not the compound dovetail.
    Dennis
    Really? I thought they were being built in Nashville by then and the dreaded "bolt-on neck" would have been abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    Jack - $2400 is a good buy but keep in mind that in 1997 this would still have the mortoise and tenon neck joint and not the compound dovetail.
    Dennis
    Really? I thought they were being built in Nashville by then and the dreaded "bolt-on neck" would have been abandoned.
    Last edited by Ken Berner; Jul-28-2012 at 7:27pm. Reason: delete

I'm thinking the transition to Nashville began in '98. The M/T neck joint likely accompanied the production in Nashville for some period of time before Gibson sent the Flatiron name overseas and integrated the Gibson brand into their own production.

"....the dreaded "bolt-on neck" would have been abandoned." Your quotation marks belong around "dreaded" not "bolt-on neck". There ain't nuthin' wrong with that "bolt-on neck". imho. It's just not what Gibson did when Lloyd was in charge (and so what?;-)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post
    I'm going to play it for a while before I buy,
    You might also want to have someone else play it, or record yourself and listen to it. To me, at least F hole instruments project forward better than they do back to the player.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I'm thinking the transition to Nashville began in '98. The M/T neck joint likely accompanied the production in Nashville for some period of time before Gibson sent the Flatiron name overseas and integrated the Gibson brand into their own production.

"....the dreaded "bolt-on neck" would have been abandoned." Your quotation marks belong around "dreaded" not "bolt-on neck". There ain't nuthin' wrong with that "bolt-on neck". imho. It's just not what Gibson did when Lloyd was in charge (and so what?;-)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    As the owner of two Montana-built Flatiron Artists and a Weber Beartooth, I have absolutely no problem with the neck joint design. I'm just prodding those who babble on about their perceived inferiority of such. The oldest of my mandolins is now twenty years with no problems at all. I simply wish the wags would get off of it, as many of them have not owned such a mandolin and I doubt any could tell the difference. Best Wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Berner View Post
    As the owner of two Montana-built Flatiron Artists and a Weber Beartooth, I have absolutely no problem with the neck joint design. I'm just prodding those who babble on about their perceived inferiority of such. The oldest of my mandolins is now twenty years with no problems at all. I simply wish the wags would get off of it, as many of them have not owned such a mandolin and I doubt any could tell the difference. Best Wishes.
    Sorry Ken, I don't mean to preach to the choir. I totally agree with you and wish the wags would move on to another topic that they seem to know everything about.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Berner

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Sorry Ken, I don't mean to preach to the choir. I totally agree with you and wish the wags would move on to another topic that they seem to know everything about. Len B. Clearwater, FL
    And added to that we have the comment on Bruce Weber's site that mentions the Weber Co. (Sound to Earth) has built hundreds of mandolins with a very similar bolt-on neck construction with not one failure. I think the concerns about Gibson, or Flatiron or Weber bolt-on mandolin necks are not based on actual experiences.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I can attest to one failure of the dovetail joint in a Nashville-built Gibson product and it was a Flatiron branded instrument. A well-done neck joint is a forever thing and a poorly done one is trouble waiting to happen. Makes little difference, as I see it, what style joint it is.
    Mike Snyder

In the guitar world, a bolt on neck is an easy reset job compared to a dovetail joint, but is definitely looked down upon by the vintage guys. I would think though, that if a mando needed a neck reset, then a bolt on neck would be less expensive to do, and would be a good thing to have, in that it does not adversely affect the tone as per these posts. I am considering a Weber Bighorn after missing out on a used one that was on ebay just a little while back, so it is good to know about the neck/body joint that I was aware of but hadn't read anything about. How often does a mando need a neck reset, never? rarely? every 5 years?

I've owned mandolins with both neck joints, never mattered or concerned me. I believe my current pair (Dailey & Collings) have dovetail and mt.
    As far as resetting a mt joined neck, I believe the glue would still need to be released plus the finish over the joint line would be disturbed.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band