Thread: Sanding a little too enthusiastic...

Default Sanding a little too enthusiastic...

I am building an A5 for myself and went a little overboard sanding the treble side of the neck. The black stripe on the binding disappeared for a couple of inches. I really don't want to redo the binding. Any suggestions for a good way to make a black stripe on the binding- Sharpie pen with a fine point, paint or stain, splice in new plastic?? Ideas welcomed, it doesn't have to be perfect just not obviously screwed up.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03028.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	89279

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Sanding a little too enthusiastic...

Rebind it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    Rebind it.
    Bill
    What's Plan B?

Rebind it. Seriously, as much as you don't want to now, I think you'll regret not doing it later. To do it right, it might mean pulling the board off. But it's still raw wood. JMHO.

I can tell you a way to fix it, but believe me, it's easier to just rebind it at this stage, and it will almost surely look better rebound rather than "fixed".

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Rebind it. Seriously, as much as you don't want to now, I think you'll regret not doing it later. To do it right, it might mean pulling the board off. But it's still raw wood. JMHO.
    Seconded. Heartily. Rebind it.

Plan B is to cut a V shaped groove where the stripe should be (carefullly) with an X-Acto knife and fill it with black opaque epoxy (or black binding dissolved in acetone, but be careful with that stuff as you can melt too much of your binding if you're not careful).

But what's amazing about building instruments for your own use is how quickly 10 years goes by, playing the instrument every day. And every time you play it you'll think, "Wow, I should have just rebound that when all my tools were out and it was only a matter of a few hour's work".

Good luck, show us pictures when done.

Okay, okay, I hear you guys loud and clear. I will go with rebinding and not some half-a**ed attempt to fix the problems. You didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, but you did tell me what I needed to hear and for that I thank you very much.

Adrian Minarovic

But don't forget to remove small amount from one side of fingerboard so your binding is flush with the neck wood where you sanded away too much.
    Adrian

If you don't fix it right by re-doing, it will eat at you to the point you can't stand it. Don't ask how I know.

Blog Entries

Darn. I was already envisioning the next part of this conversation. "I should have listened to you guys." part. Being rained out of work makes my mind wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by stever1422 View Post
    Okay, okay, I hear you guys loud and clear. I will go with rebinding and not some half-a**ed attempt to fix the problems. You didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, but you did tell me what I needed to hear and for that I thank you very much.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    Darn. I was already envisioning the next part of this conversation. "I should have listened to you guys." part. Being rained out of work makes my mind wonder.
    Sorry to disappoint, but despite what my wife would tell you, I do eventually listen to the voices of reason. And they were coming through loud and clear.

But I would love to know what ate you up so badly Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by stever1422 View Post
    But I would love to know what ate you up so badly Doug.
    That's easy. You pick up your mandolin to play, look down at the fingerboard to see where you're putting your fretting fingers, and there... right there... is that binding you decided to fix rather than replace, and it looks like a "fixed" binding. A replaced binding just looks like a binding and it doesn't remind you of your choice (hmmm... fix or replace....) for the duration of the time you own the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    That's easy. You pick up your mandolin to play, look down at the fingerboard to see where you're putting your fretting fingers, and there... right there... is that binding you decided to fix rather than replace, and it looks like a "fixed" binding. A replaced binding just looks like a binding and it doesn't remind you of your choice (hmmm... fix or replace....) for the duration of the time you own the instrument.
    Actually, the problem is on the treble side of the fingerboard, so in theory I would never see while playing. But you are right, it would bug me day in and day out.

Yeah, I knew it was on the other side, but that wouldn't have made the point like having it on the "driver's side" like in my little example.