Thread: Weber vs The Weber

Default Weber vs The Weber

"Weber" vs "The Weber", is that like "Loar" vs "The Loar"? When did the name change? Why did it change? Difference in quality, ownership, builders?

Anne.
    A "Not Ready for Prime Time" player

Default Re: Weber vs The Weber

Anne,
    They use both "Weber" and 'The Weber" on their mandolins. Why I don't know why. Hopefully Mary Weber or Brett Byers will chime in with an answer. As far as I know there have been no changes in ownership, builders or especially the quality.

In the early years that Gibson was manufacturing mandolins their mandolins were marked "The Gibson". This was probably an offshoot of some ad person's idea as to how to identify the product as being better than the competition. The addition of the "The" to the Weber name is more of a nod towards this tradition than anything else. I'm sure we'll see some folks pushing some other reasons but that's what it is. Weber has never had a change of ownership. Music Links use of the "The" word in The Loar is a nod towards that same tradition as well as a clever marketing ploy to tie the Loar name to those same early Gibson's.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-16-2012 at 2:14pm. Reason: typo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Isn't "The Weber" reserved for the higher end models? There is no import branded Weber (for mandolins). Sound To Earth (Weber) was formed when the Flatiron company was bought out by Gibson and wanted to relocate the builders from out west to Nashville. The folks out there didn't want to uproot, so a new company was born. If anything, the quality of the Weber instruments have improved with time, this doesn't imply they were of low quality - ever. They're doing it right.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

A friend of mine is sponsored by Weber and has one of the "The Weber" mandolins. My understanding is that the "The" designates it as a higher end model. Webers are all fine mandolins, but personally I wouldn't choose one for myself... except for his The Weber, which is really one of the nicest mandolins I've played (and I've had the opportunity to play it in jams and even play a couple shows with it). At any rate, The Weber is very much the same company as Weber.

As for Loar vs. The Loar that is a whole other thing entirely. Lloyd Loar was an acoustical engineer who worked for Gibson in the early 20's and oversaw the production of arguably the best mandolins ever made. At no point was there ever a "Loar" mandolin, they were Gibson mandolins signed by Loar. "The Loar" is an economy brand of Pac Rim instruments with absolutely no relationship to Lloyd Loar or Gibson (although apparently a lot of people say they are pretty good for what they are).
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

8. The following members say thank you to Justus True Waldron for this post:

There has not been a name change. Sound to Earth was started by Bruce and Mary Weber and they continue to be the sole owners and managers of STE. As with any small company we have had employees come and go over the last fifteen years, but Bruce and Mary have always been at the helm and on the shop floor every day. In addition to Bruce and Mary we have a core group of master craftsmen (and women) that have been with the company for most of our 15 yrs.

There have been variations over the years for us when it comes to "The Weber" and "Weber" as inlaid logos on the peghead. Generally speaking "The Weber" has been the standard logo inlay for our Fern model, but it is an available option on any of our instruments. Mike has it right in that "The" in addition to the brand name is a nod to tradition. All Weber mandolins, mandolas, octave mandolins, mandocellos, carved top guitars, resonator guitars, accessories, etc., are manufactured in our shop in Logan, MT. There is no difference between "The Weber" and "Weber", other than aesthetics and the former uses a bit more pearl.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brett Byers For This Useful Post:

Weber is what I cook the steak on. The Weber is what I play. The steak is still tastier than my playing.

12. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

To me, it sounds too much like The Donald.

You can just call me, The Astro. (Careful now, I know what you're thinking and, NO, you can't sub a hole for a tro ! )

Thanks Brett for clearing that up... thinking back, my friend's mando is a fern, so "The Weber" makes sense. And it does look nice, I like the nod to tradition (even though I play a Macica mandolin with no name on top, just a logo)
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Isn't "The Weber" reserved for the higher end models?
    Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post
    A friend of mine is sponsored by Weber and has one of the "The Weber" mandolins. My understanding is that the "The" designates it as a higher end model.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think "higher end model" in this case just means fancier trim, and not anything in the selection of tonewoods or attention to carving and tone-tapping that would make the instrument sound any different.

I have a Weber "Yellowstone Traditional" F-style octave mandolin that just says Weber on the headstock. If you pay more for the Fern model of that same instrument, you get "The Weber" inlay instead. I could be wrong, but I think it's just cosmetic, to go along with the fancier inlays. At least, for the price they charge for the model just under the Fern in trim level, I would hope that's the case!

Just personal opinion here, but I like that it says only "Weber" on the headstock of my OM. I've never understood why anyone other than Gibson would want to add that prefix.

Edit to add: Just saw Brett's post, which confirms that it's a question of trim level.

So, if it is the, is it the or is it thee?
    willi

Blog Entries

My Special Edition says "The Weber".
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Great infor, thanks chaps.
    - The Darren

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post
    ,,, but personally I wouldn't choose one for myself... except for his The Weber, which is really one of the nicest mandolins I've played (and I've had the opportunity to play it in jams and even play a couple shows with it). At any rate, The Weber is very much the same company as Weber.
    Your Macica just turned over in it's sleep and is never going to talk to you again and when she finally does things will never be the same.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    Your Macica just turned over in it's sleep and is never going to talk to you again and when she finally does things will never be the same.
    Oh dear, I guess I'm in the doghouse now... except my Macica is very understanding because she knows nothing will ever replace her... AND she got a string change and a cleaning last night! In all seriousness though, I spent a lot of time with that Weber before I got my Macica and it was one of the reasons I decided I had to get a nice mandolin. Since I've had the Macica I've come to really appreciate just how full of a tone I can get out of it, personally I feel even more than I got from the weber. In the hands of it's owner though that Weber sure can sing! I'm a big believer that everyone has their instrument, and that mando is his...
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

Blog Entries

I think one could read pretentiousness into it either way. For example, I was corrected regarding cruise ship names. One never uses "the".

Did you take Queen Elizabeth on your last trip, or was it Prinsendam?

Woo hoo.

My Weber is my only Weber so its the Weber regardless of what it says on the headstock.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Whoever corrected you is incorrect. Either the article or the ship designation, but not both, should be used on first mention. After first mention, you use just the name. They should have said either:

"Did you take the Queen Elizabeth on your last trip, or was it the Prinsendam?" or...

"Did you take MS Queen Elizabeth on your last trip, or was it MS Prinsendam?" (MS for "Motor Ship," although "the" sounds more natural.)

The reply could be, "We took Prinsendam."

For US Navy ships, the use of "the" is discouraged by the Navy Style Guide. Use the "USS" prefix on first reference, then just the name.

For instance, I served on USS Eisenhower. My first deployment was in 1980 during the Iran Hostage Crisis. We were on Gonzo Station until Eisenhower was relieved by USS Nimitz. (true, BTW)
    Last edited by John Flynn; Jul-17-2012 at 3:07pm.

23. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Blog Entries

Right I forgot the MS. But for instance, one would not say "the MS Queen Elizabeth", or "the USS Nimitz".
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My Sweet Pea says "Weber"
    My CVA says "The Weber"
    My Absaroka OM says "Weber"

Each of these is a terrific instrument for its intended purpose. Granted, the Sweet Pea is very dissimilar to the other two, but great for how I use it. The other two are just incredible instruments and great value for the money.

To me, the 'The or not The' makes no difference whatever. They sound great, they play great and they look great. That's all that really matters to me. I think that everyone should play the instrument(s) that inspire them the most. These sure work for me.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I'd guess that the "The" is hommage to vintage Gibsons, which were (somewhat pretentiously) labeled "The Gibson" until c. 1928 or so.

Still seems a bit pretentious to me, though not quite as much as "The Loar" does. With Weber, we're dealing with higher-end, largely handcrafted instruments. With Loar, we're dealing with more mass-produced, Asian-made, mid-range. Not that Loar mandolins aren't good quality for the price, but the "The" on the headstock seems to be reaching for an iconic status, that an $800 Chinese-made mandolin shouldn't aspire to. "Don't get above your raisin'," as Lester Flatt sang.

Anyway, all a question of marketing, rather than quality of construction or acoustic excellence.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

My Bighorn had "The Weber" on it from the start. I had "The" added to my Mandola because I like the looks of it...

For us Brits.,it's perfectly correct to refer to either of the 2 ships mentioned as THE Queen Elizabeth or THE Queen Mary.Usually naval vessels are refered to as HMS (Her or His Majesty's Ship ) Ark Royal or HMS Eagle etc..Likewise it was THE Titanic,not Titanic.
    I think it's simply a matter of what fits & sounds right rather than any hard & fast rule,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.