Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woody Guthrie, mandolin player, b. July 14, 1912

Default Woody Guthrie, mandolin player, b. July 14, 1912

I'm sending a birthday shout-out to American troubadour, political agitator, restless spirit, and mandolin picker, Woodrow Wilson Guthrie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5450.jpg 
Views:	1803 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	89127

This rare photo of Woody playing mandolin with Ralph Rinzler, the great scholar and promoter of American music, comes from the blog of Mike Murphy. He says that it's probably Rinzler's mandolin, and that he was visiting Woody in the hospital where he lived once the symptoms of Huntington's disease became too much to handle outside.

And I'll add this link to the story that I produced for NPR's All Things Considered in case any of my friends at the Cafe missed it last night.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Woody Guthrie, mandolin player, b. July 14, 1912

Here's the only other photo I came across of Woody playing mandolin. He's with Pete and Butch Hawes of the Almanac Singers. The photo is part of the magnificent new book published by Smithsonian/Folkways, Woody at 100. It's not cheap, but it is a joy to behold. An LP-sized book, packed with Woody's artwork, and containing 3 CDs of his music.

Name:	Guthrie and Hawes.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	89128
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Strad-o-lin... Oh Yeah

This seems to be the only mandolin tune Woody ever wrote. Strikes me as the kind of riff a guitarist might come up with having a little fun with a friend's mandolin. It is fun.

Woody's Rag with Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Pete Seeger, & Malvina Reynolds

Failed at embedding the vid. Here's a link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9StxKDFjLY
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

In the process of reading Woodie Guthrie: A Life by Joe Klein. Very interesting, but a difficult read through his childhood.
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Klein... Klein... coincidence?? Anyway, thanks for doing the interesting NPR piece and honouring Woody here. Woody's Rag is the easiest tune in the Tottle book, and Pete Seeger put it in one of his song books.

I once made a pilgrammage to Woody's house on Mermaid Ave. in Coney Island, the one where one of his daughters accidentally got severe burns and died from them. He was sure a strange guy with different brain chemistry -- we need to keep some of those around to keep the rest of us straight. His Columbia River songs are just so good! and then his angry rejection of pie-in-the-sky religion in favour of in-this-world activism "I Ain't Got a Home in this World Anymore".

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

The Sisters Folk Festival in early September will have the "Walking Woody's Road" tribute as part of it. Pretty sure this will be at other venues as well.
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Great piece, Brad.

I'll be doing a solo tribute to Woody this Saturday night at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, called "Bound for Glory: 100 years of Woody Guthrie." It's mostly guitar, but I will be doing "Woody's Rag" and "Hard Travelin" on mando.

www.caffelena.com
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

- No relation to Joe Klein - I only wish I had his writing chops! His biography of Guthrie has stayed in print over 30 years, and for good reason.

- 'Break a string', Michael! There are literally hundreds of Guthrie tributes around the country, from big 'n fancy to local and spontaneous. Have to think that Woody would be deeply honored.

- I hadn't thought of Woody's Rag for many years, thanks JL. I think I learned it off a Robin Flower LP, back in the day! One of the first tunes I ever learned, and it never crossed my mind while I was immersed in Guthrie!
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

Congratulations Brad! Nice piece.
    Also, NPR's Fresh Air devoted most of today's episode to Woody Guthrie. Here's the link:
    Fresh Air Celebrates Woody Guthrie At 100
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

For UK types there's an Arena programme about Woody on BBC Four tonight (Friday 13 July 2012) it starts at 23:30.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

13. The following members say thank you to Mandophyte for this post:

Beanzy 

Blog Entries

ooo just noticed it's available on iPlayer in the UK already!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Woody_Guthrie/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

In honor of Woody Guthrie's centenary, I thought I would share this story. I hope this is within the bounds of decorum, and doesn't stray too far afield. I never had the good fortune to meet the man, one of my all-time heroes, but I have had the pleasure of spending some time with some of his cohorts, most notably Ramblin' Jack Elliott. This is kind of a long and winding road, which befits the star of the show, and as anyone who has met him can attest, the sobriquet "Ramblin'" was apt in more than one way.

Back in the 1990s, I was living in CT and playing in a jug band - not full-time, but pretty often. Somehow the band leader learned that Eric Von Schmidt lived in the next county, was still playing out occasionally, and was in the phone book. Being a longtime devotee of the blues and jug band music, as well as a friend of all those Kweskin folks (and many others), he was glad to come out of semi-retirement and do a bunch of gigs with us. We had a lot of good times doing this, and he repaid us for the interest with a standing invitation to visit him anytime. He hosted enormous music parties at his house and sprawling grounds a few times a year, New Year's Eve for sure, and other random times. He had an incredible number and variety of friends in the business, by virtue of being in it for so long - his little black book was a virtual who's who of folk and blues musicians - and some pretty amazing people would show up.

One time, I think it was a New Year's Eve (I'm only guessing, because of extenuating circumstances), Jack was among the revelers. Late at night, those of us still there gathered in the living room, picking, grinning (for various reasons), and carrying on. Jack's daughter was in the process of filming him, gathering footage for an upcoming documentary. She kept prodding him to tell stories rather than just play. As a result, people kept dropping out of the jam to listen. He was perhaps a bit more shy than you might think, and she had to keep nudging him, suggesting particular stories she wanted to get on film. At some point, a bit of smoke circulated among the participants. I had not indulged in years, but had been considering resuming for a little while, and this seemed an opportune moment. I mean, when Ramblin' Jack Elliott is holding court and passes you a joint, you go for it. Being rather unused to the sensation, it had quite an effect on me, and also played havoc with my perspective - but not, as far as I know, my playing. In fact, I recall being very into playing, and paid a lot of attention to being as fine an accompanist as I could be. I really worked the dynamics, used every trick in my bag of tricks, but stayed sensitive to what he was doing, maintaining a supporting role.

What I did not notice right away, as I was so into what I was playing and fitting it to what Jack was doing, was that after a while everyone else had dropped out. I began feeling a bit sheepish, and slacked off on playing, but Jack encouraged me - and again, if Ramblin' Jack Elliott is holding court and likes what you're doing, you keep doing it. This went on for probably over an hour, with his daughter filming a lot of it. I came to feel pretty good about my abilities, and thought I did a pretty darn good job. I also thought it would be really cool if some of this made it into the film. She did get my name and number for credit and clearance purposes. When the movie came out, a few of us went into New York to see it, and ... well, none of this got used. Oh well! It might have had something to do with me being pretty much of a nobody; it might have been his part in the proceedings had been a bit too rambling to make the cut. I'll never know - though I did ask her about this some time later, but she could not recall any of this at all. Perhaps she too had indulged in the aforementioned, causing some sort of slippage in the quality of her camera work. In any event, I'll always have the memory, at least what has survived.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

A nice photo of Woody Guthrie playing mandolin ran in the Sunday New York Times (6/21/15), with the article "Pete Seeger's New York Roots".

Name:	21FOOTSTEPS1-master675.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	135693

NYT caption & photo credit: "Pete Seeger, second from left above, plays with Woody Guthrie, left, at 129 Macdougal Street in 1943. Credit Courtesy of the Seeger Family"
    Patrick Melly

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Melly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Woodrow Wilson Guthrie.

Name:	img_5450.jpg 
Views:	1803 
ID:	89127
    You sure that ain't Lyle Lovett? Or maybe Charlie Chaplin?

Blog Entries

Since today is Woody Guthrie's birthday (as well as Bastille Day and National Hot Dog Day - there's a Coney Island connection ), there was some mention of this on the interweb, specifically facebook. Of course, I recalled a couple of photos of him playing a mandolin, so naturally I wanted to post them. And wouldn't you know, all three - and only these three, nothing more - that I turned up in my google image search led me to this thread! Oh, the Mandolin Cafe is a resource like no other!

I did read a lengthy post from Arlo, detailing some of his touring experiences in eastern Canada and New England. This bit is a gem:

The sweet thing was walking into the JAG hotel [St. John's, Newfoundland] and seeing a painting of my dad on the wall of the lobby. A version of that same portrait hung in our home when I was a kid growing up. It felt like home.

Name:	Woody Guthrie Painting.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	148069

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

21. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Melly View Post
    A nice photo of Woody Guthrie playing mandolin ran in the Sunday New York Times (6/21/15), with the article "Pete Seeger's New York Roots".

Name:	21FOOTSTEPS1-master675.jpg 
Views:	887 
ID:	135693

NYT caption & photo credit: "Pete Seeger, second from left above, plays with Woody Guthrie, left, at 129 Macdougal Street in 1943. Credit Courtesy of the Seeger Family"
    I would have sworn that was Pete's brother Mike.......
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

23. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

It is another of those strange coincidences that Clarence White died on Woody's birthday.

25. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Donald Trumps father was Woody's landlord.He wrote a song about him.I can't remember the title,something like " Mean old Mr Trump " I still think of Clarence at the end of a gig while loading equipment.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolinstew For This Useful Post:

Here's a take on "Old Man Trump". (This post is not meant to be taken as a comment on current politics, but simply a tribute to Woody Guthrie as a song writer.)
    Last edited by JH Murray; Jul-15-2016 at 1:55pm.

Blog Entries

Just because it's Woody Guthrie's birthday (Happy 105th Birthday, Woodrow Wilson Guthrie! ) I thought I'd post all three known photos of him playing mandolin in one spot. Still hoping some more show up ...

Name:	Woody Guthrie Mandolin 1.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	159152 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woody Guthrie Mandolin 2.jpg 
Views:	237 
ID:	159153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woody Guthrie Mandolin 3.jpg 
Views:	179 
ID:	159154

I celebrated today, getting my America The Beautiful lifetime senior pass to the National Parks for only $10 (goes up to $80 August 1st.) This land was made for you and me!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Happy Birthday, Woody.

Wish I understood "This Land is Your Land" when you were still alive and that you were still with us writing more words.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Happy Birthday, Woody.

Wish I understood "This Land is Your Land" when you were still alive and that you were still with us writing more words.
    I agree and lets not forget Clarence-I was going to start a thread but I seem not to find the sweet spot! Love ya Clarence White RIP Yeh what is it with the age of 27 with our favs dieing?

Blog Entries

I just saw this posted at The Vintage Gibson Mandolin group on facebook. Says Arlo donated it to the Guthrie Museum. I'm not sure when it was donated, but it does seem to be since this thread was started. Funny how it doesn't appear in any of the three photos we've found of Woody playing mandolin. Interesting finish.

Name:	Woody Guthrie's 1920 Gibson Model A.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	205575

34. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Not sure if it is still on the market, but the apartment house where Woody lived while here in Portland (Oregon) was up for sale a couple weeks ago. This according to the Oregonian. Apparently he was here while under contract to the Bonneville Power Authority to write songs promoting the region (e.g., Roll On Columbia). He also was allegedly glad to move on from here - didn't like Portlanders.

I have to say that I did ask myself what I thought it would be worth to own that house - and it turned out to be a LOT less than market for plain generic commercial or residential property.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com