Thread: Going from Bad to Mediocre

Default Going from Bad to Mediocre

Hello to all fellow Mandonites!

So in the past few months of practice I can affirm to going from Terrible to Bad, which I am quite proud of. But right now I have hit a plateau in my progression during this bad stage and I was wondering what I could do to get to "Mediocre".

Now I know this is all self evaluation, what I'm really asking is what did you do when practicing to help you get to "the next step" and what did your progression look like?

Default Re: Going from Bad to Mediocre

I would hire an instructor if you can afford it. Check out petimarpress.com for free videos on beginning mandolin and Pete Martin offers lessons by Skype. You may have a local mandolin instructor in your area. Be patient with your practicing and enjoy the ride, don't put so much emphasis on the destination. Very important to practice correctly so you don't have to undo any bad habits. I have been in your position but I keep practicing on ! I will never get as good as I would like but I am very much enjoying the ride !

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Play with others!!

- Preferably a small group of friendly folks with a bit more experience, where you'll get pulled along to a higher level. For me, the '60s college dorm was as instructive as the classroom!

- Preferably not a large regular jam of near-experts where you're expected to know the music, know the rules, and, uhmm, know your place. That may sound a bit harsh, but some established jams do work that way, especially in the Celtic and bluegrass genres. Even so, folks like you (and me when I took up mandolin several years ago, and still...) can learn a lot by watching & listening.

The Cafe fourm area on finding others to play with can help a lot, as can Folkjam.org.

And... Welcome!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Every time I get proud thinking I've gone from bad to mediocre, I see some 12 year old kid on utube who has been playing for 2 1/2 weeks just tear through something I can't imagine how to do. If I didnt love the act of playing so much, I would just quit. But my fingers are addicted now so I plod on.

I dont smoke or twirl my hair or crack my knuckles or bite my nails. My tactile addiction is strings and music provides the outlet.

Very addictive as you know.

BTW: 1+ on the advice to play with others. Single biggest thing to improve in all areas.
    Plus it legitimizes our addiction so we don't look quite as weird.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Everybody is younger than me and plays better than me. That said, I like to isolate trouble spots in my playing, pull them out of the song, practice 'em until they're good, and plug them back into the song. I agree with finding a teacher, if only to help you focus on the most important things to practice. Also, if you're doing something really wrong, a teacher can save you much wheel spinning by correcting you before you waste a lot of time practicing something incorrectly.

Get a teach and play with others!

Thanks Guys and Gals, I'll keep that in mind in the coming weeks, see if I can't find a jam group and a teacher!

+1 on playing with others, it helped a ton with my drumming, guitar playing and now mandolin playing. My ear is getting a workout with the old time jam I have been attending as well.
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Every time I get proud thinking I've gone from bad to mediocre, I see some 12 year old kid on utube who has been playing for 2 1/2 weeks just tear through something I can't imagine how to do. If I didnt love the act of playing so much, I would just quit. But my fingers are addicted now so I plod on.

I dont smoke or twirl my hair or crack my knuckles or bite my nails. My tactile addiction is strings and music provides the outlet.

Very addictive as you know.

BTW: 1+ on the advice to play with others. Single biggest thing to improve in all areas.
    Plus it legitimizes our addiction so we don't look quite as weird.
    I don't smoke either but-----------------what hair ?