Thread: Differenced between Gibson F5G, F5L and MM

Default Differenced between Gibson F5G, F5L and MM

I am wondering what are the differences between an F5G and a Fern besides binding, a pick guard and different inlay on the headstock? Since I don't like pick guards and wanted the flower pot inlay, I went with the F5G. I ordered it via mail so I couldn't A/B the mandolins. There is also a few thousand dollar price difference. I have read that the F5G is the same mandolin but it can't be 2k+ more for some binding and a pick guard??

Also, what are the differences between a 7k Fern and 20k MM? I must be missing something. I was also looking at the Doyle Lawson model but that was 10k but was interested because it was his old mandolin. What are the actual differences here?

Thanks!
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

Default Re: Differenced between Gibson F5G, F5L and MM

To the best of my knowledge, the Signature series, L and G are all of similar build. Appointments being the main difference. They're glued with a modern glue probably similar to Titebond and mainly finished with laquer. Some are done in oil finish and are priced accordingly. The MM is built more old-school with hide glue and "varnish". Tonal quality will vary from instrument to instrument but all I've been around have the same basic tone, the Gibson sound. Whatever parameters you can nail on that, good luck. There are recent threads which discussed it at length without much revelation that I ever saw. I believe that Gibson is making the cleanest mandolins in their history right now and many I have heard or played were exellent sounding also. Brand-new ones sound tight, for the most part, but I played a new pre-flood Bush that sounded wide open. I have no hands-on experience with Master Models. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will post, as I have spoken in error on the cafe before.

My F5G is an '05 and we will be together 'til the bitter end.
    Mike Snyder

Big Joe's take on the subject from a similar thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    In any era the main difference from the stock F5L (Fern) and the F5G was the binding, headstock inlay, color, and hardware. They are each equal quality in build and materials. The Fern will usually have gold hardware, fern headstock inlay, fully bound body and neck and headstock, and the color will have a bit more red in the finish.

The F5G will have nickel hardware, bound on the body top only, flowerpot headstock inlay, and a bit more brown color. The color depends upon who is doing the finish, since these are all hand finished. However, the goal was to be a bit different in the color and most are.

Both mandolins will have nitro cellulose finish and are great mandolins. I prefer binding on my fingerboards, but that is just a personal thing. Both are able to do anything you want. The main difference is the cost in labor and materials to do the Fern.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by jmalmsteen View Post
    ...it can't be 2k+ more for some binding and a pick guard??
    It can be whatever people will pay.

The MM goes to 11.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

6. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

mandolin upgrades are like car upgrades. What is the difference between a Cadillac Calais, Deville and Fleetwood as they all 3 have the same body style and motor and transmission. The difference is in when you get inside and see the extras in trim, woods, chrome (inside and out), those little do dad buttons that you can't get on the low end models, and that look people make as they quickly turn their heads as you wiz by them. To me when I see the F5s with no binding on the back or headstock they just look naked almost unfinished but I have heard some really good sounding ones too so that binding should not have an effect on the overall sound and how it plays. I do know there is a lot more that goes into the MM, DMM than just extra binding.

Makes me want a mandolin with power F holes and a power Oval hole so you can close and open them for different sounds. Of course all the motors and what not would make it really heavy.
    Matthew

What else goes into the master model?
    (Thanks everyone for the info!)
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

Mike is correct about the hide glue construction and brushed varnish finish.
    As well as the extra appointments Joe discusses (fossil ivory points, Macassar ebony neck support, red spruce top, fanciest maple etc.) I seem to remember previous discussion about the lengths Charlie went to to ensure an authentic reproduction of a Loar era case made available only to those purchasing the Master Model.

The following is Joe's description taken from the F-5 Master Model registry Facebook page (pasted for posterity and the benefit of those not on Facebook and unable to view)
    Big Joe Vest's description of the differences in the production of the Master Model from the other Gibson Mandolins of the era
    by Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry on Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 11:10am ·
    There were several differences...I can only speak about the years I was involved, but certainly not the same animal. The woods were different. The Adirondack Spruce on the MM, better figured Maple in most cases, the carving was more carefully adhered to, the bracing was fit far more carefully, the sanding was done with far more care as well. The MM also used a different glue (hide) and used Macassar ebony for the neck support. The color was done in a different manner than the lacquer mandolins, which shows when you see them side by side. Less hands touched the MM in the build process. Each step was carefully overseen by Charlie and Danny. The headstock inlay is different. The points on the MM are made from fossil ivory, not bone. The necks are shaped with a bit more care and fitted as tight as possible. If the neck did not fit tight without adhesive it was not acceptable. The varnish finish was hand made to a very specific formula and then the french polish overlay was also a special formula and each of these processes were very tedious. When everything went right, we could produce about 1 1/2 a month average. That was in a good year. Some years is was only about 1 a month. The tuners (Waverly's) and the rest of the hardware were silver plated and the cost of the hardware was very high. No body gets a discount on Waverly tuners. Gibson paid the very same as you would if you order them. The bridge and pickguard were very high quality and were stamped just like the Loars. It took many, many, many more hours of labor to complete a MM than a Fern or any of the other mandolins.

The MM was not a profit producing product as some might think. It was a product of love and devotion by Charlie...and the rest of the team as well. It was the result of a passion to build a particular mandolin a particular way and to make it the best it could be within the parameters sought. Only a very limited number of those built under Charlie and Danny exist. Under 100 I believe. That makes them more rare than the original Loar.

The other Gibson mandolins are great mandolins, well built, good woods, great finish, hardware, etc. But just not the same animal as the MM. I am not trying to put any of that line in a negative spot. They were very carefully built, and each one of them was played and inspected by a team of people to ensure the quality of the product and the tone before they were allowed out of the facility. Of the hundreds of mandolins I played there, I was impressed in some way with each of them. The MM's were another animal all together though. They were the epitomy of what a mandolin could be and that was always a point of joy and satisfaction. While I have played a very good number of incredible mandolins, and I have owned a number of incredible mandolins, the MM was, to me, the peak of anything I've seen in the Post Loar years, and some of the MM's even beat some of the Loars I have seen and played. To me and many others, Charlie built a mandolin that exceeded that of the Loar era in many ways, even though the Loar was the prototype. Charlie would never have made that claim to anyone. He never wanted to see what he did as anything to boost his ego. Those of us who surrounded him were not as humble about what he did.

Again, there are many good mandolins and great builders who make instruments that are just as incredible in what they do. The Derrington MM was to many the ultimate for that kind of mandolin. There may be some resemblence between the other products of that era from Gibson, but they were like the nice Mustang compared to the MM's being the Ferrari. This is certianly my opinion, but I think there may be many others who may agree.

Part II
    There was absolutely nothing sub standard about any of the Gibson mandolins. There was not real "factory" either. Most people have the view of 100 people working in an assemblly line building these mandolins. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There were a handful of people, each who did specific jobs and did them very well. Most were cross trained but usually did a particular job on a regular basis. The mandolins were built to very high standards, and each single one was played and checked by several people before they were approved for shipment. Any mandolin that could not be brought to standard was cut up in a band saw. No 2nds period! They were great mandolins and the standards of build were very high.

That being said, the MM was built a bit different. First, the woods for the MM were seperated from the others upon grading. Only a select few backs, rims, necks, and tops would pass the inspection. If it did not pass, it would not be used on the MM. Since these woods were selected specifically for the MM they were never selected to be any other model. While in a rare occasion a back might be grabbed from the MM stash to build a different mandolin, that was very rare. The tops were never substituted. The MM was the only one allowed to have the red spruce (yes...I know there were a few G's with a red spruce top). We could not pull any other model off the line to be an MM because there were several differences in the materials...and the glue.

The MM was handled differently with more attention and essentially only one guy in the build and graduating. He did the MM's and not the other mandolins. The level of expectation was substantially higher than on the other models. Nothing was sub standard by any means, but the MM was held to a standard that was extremely high in the areas felt important to Charlie. He was the King and we his lowly servants . Seriously though, the MM was a very special product and was held to a particular standard different from the others. Again, none were sub standard, but the standards for the MM were a bit higher...as they well should be.

The DMM started out as an MM and was distressed later. In order to properly distress them we had to completely build them. We even completely finished them, played them, and then selected the ones we wanted to distress. We selected the candidates we felt would respond best to the process. This was a product that was at the top of the price spectrum for a modern mandolin, and we were very careful to choose the right product for this process. Just think of it. Your new...worn out mandolin...actually started life as a highly polished mandolin without flaw. We did not chose those with flaws in the finish to distress. The distressing had to be right and just fixing a poor finish or ??? would be too obvious and not look correct by any means. The DMM was the best of the best available at the time we needed a DMM.

I hope this clarifies the process a bit. All the mandolins were carefully built by hand by a small team of highly dedicated and gifted people who had an incredible amount of pride in the work they were doing. These people were incredibly dedicated and wanted to produce the best product they possibly could. Not a slacker in the bunch. Only the very best of the best were allowed to touch the MM. That was a very small, very elite group of dedicated employees.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

"The MM was the only one allowed to have the red spruce (yes...I know there were a few G's with a red spruce top). We could not pull any other model off the line to be an MM because there were several differences in the materials...and the glue. ""

It just plainly irritates me about the "only one allowed to have the red spruce". That kind of implies that the RS was the best top they had, but boy were you going to pay through the nose for it. Sure, Sitka and Engelmann make some fine, fine tops, no doubt. But WHY the attitude about RS?
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    "The MM was the only one allowed to have the red spruce (yes...I know there were a few G's with a red spruce top). We could not pull any other model off the line to be an MM because there were several differences in the materials...and the glue. ""

It just plainly irritates me about the "only one allowed to have the red spruce". That kind of implies that the RS was the best top they had, but boy were you going to pay through the nose for it. Sure, Sitka and Engelmann make some fine, fine tops, no doubt. But WHY the attitude about RS?
    Well, if you want to recreate American instruments (mandolin or guitar) from the pre-WWII era, you need to use materials that match those as closely as possible. For the most part Gibson and Martin used red spruce during that time period. Using anything else would be put you farther from a true recreation than necessary.

While my view of things is particularly narrow in this area, I'm of the opinion that there is no better top wood than red spruce, with Euro spruce running a very close second or perhaps a parallel path. Any other top wood comes with the inevitable explanation as to why it as good as red spruce. I have plenty of Sitka-topped instruments and I like them fine, but I bought them for what they are. If red spruce was available, I'd never start with Sitka on a new build.

Quote Originally Posted by jmalmsteen View Post
    What else goes into the master model?
    (Thanks everyone for the info!)
    Love, lots of love goes into those MM and even more love in the DMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Well, if you want to recreate American instruments (mandolin or guitar) from the pre-WWII era, you need to use materials that match those as closely as possible. For the most part Gibson and Martin used red spruce during that time period. Using anything else would be put you farther from a true recreation than necessary.

While my view of things is particularly narrow in this area, I'm of the opinion that there is no better top wood than red spruce, with Euro spruce running a very close second or perhaps a parallel path. Any other top wood comes with the inevitable explanation as to why it as good as red spruce. I have plenty of Sitka-topped instruments and I like them fine, but I bought them for what they are. If red spruce was available, I'd never start with Sitka on a new build.
    Buck, you misunderstood me. I agree with you completely. When I said what's with the attitude about RS, I meant why not use it on more mandos.

My Phoenix has a KILLER Bosnian Spruce top, but I hear Rolfe is now using RS. I think I'd like to try one of those!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Sorry about that, I did misunderstand. I have an idea why they don't use it more models, but it's purely speculation on my part. My guess is some combination of cost, availability, and perception. Good red spruce is more expensive than similar quality Sitka. If red spruce was more widely used, the availability might suffer. Finally, saving red spruce for the higher priced instruments reinforces the idea that you are getting much more for those extra dollars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Sorry about that, I did misunderstand. I have an idea why they don't use it more models, but it's purely speculation on my part. My guess is some combination of cost, availability, and perception. Good red spruce is more expensive than similar quality Sitka. If red spruce was more widely used, the availability might suffer. Finally, saving red spruce for the higher priced instruments reinforces the idea that you are getting much more for those extra dollars.
    Using Adirondack spruce only on the MM and DMM confers an additional level of desirability for those models over the "regular" master models (or maybe as they are now called the "artist" models) e.g., the F-9, F-5G, Fern etc. -- all just marketing?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

My understanding is what you see in the previous posts, that except the MM, the difference is purely visual. Of course, individual mandolins will vary in quality & sound.