Thread: Inexpensive Home Recording Software

Default Inexpensive Home Recording Software

I know there is hundreds of recording software publishers out there so let’s not discuss all of them. Let’s keep this discussion down to earth and simple for the aspiring musician on a budget (aren’t we all?!).

I know that MAC has all the apps everyone ever wanted and there is not much available for PC. I am a PC user due to the fact all my software I own is PC. I downloaded the free version of Audacity and started messing around with it. I am not an audio expert but wanted to try and record direct with no microphones. It seemed to work pretty well. I recorded 2 tracks a rhythm part and a lead. I am not a very good player, my Mando is elCheapo and I have no idea what all the audio tools in the software are for. I thought we can have a forum to share knowledge on how to make good recordings at home without being an audio engineer. I have uploaded a sample recording so you get an idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Default Re: Inexpensive Home Recording Software

Hi Londy,

Audacity is quite a nice tool for the price

If you want to take the next level at the same price have a look at Ardour. The makers gently ask you for a voluntary donation to support further development. See http://www.ardour.org

Ardour currently is available for Mac and Linux. A Windows version might be available in future. To my opinion it is a full blown Digital Audio Workstation and is quite complete. From tracking, editing, mixing even mastering is possible with the also free SW Jamin from the same guys. See http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
    There are many free plug-ins available for effects like reverb, delay, compressors, ......
    To my opinion ardour bears comparison with the big Winows tools like Steinberg Cubase, Protools, etc.

If you do not like to wait for a windows version, I would recommend to use a Linux distribution dedicated for the audio / video enthusiast and comes with all the applications such as ardour. Often it is even possible to start these from a CD / DVD or memory stick without installation to hard disk to try it out before installing it (it is slow that way!). One example is http://ubuntustudio.org/home.

If you don't like to go for Linux and don't want to wait for a Windows version of Ardour, you might have a look here: http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/b...s-worth-using/ and scroll down to the budget section. I have no experience and hence no opinion about these.

By the way, I love playing around with my DAW and either try to mix songs we have recorded with our acoustic string band or just record and mix whatever I can record (which is a little mandolin, banjo and electric bass).

To my opinion, for recording an acoustic instrument a decent microphone is mandatory, as no pickup is able to naturally reproduce the natural sound of an acoustic instrument. There are reasonably priced condenser mics with USB connection to the PC around, which will do the job without hassles like preamps and ADCs (because both is already built in).

Nice recording, I can hear a little bit of the Dawg but I miss Jerry (ambiguity intended)

Cheers Bauzl

I second the rec for a good mic. I've had very good results with the Blue Yeti. Plug and play with Audacity and it sounds exactly like the room you're in. At least for straight up recordings of folk songs I think the quality / simplicity ratio can't be beat.
    links:

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

http://www.bluemic.com/yetipro/

4. The following members say thank you to Alex M for this post:

I haven't checked their site in a long time, but Reaper used to be a free download and you get the full program. It's a fairly robust DAW. They ask that you buy a license. For what you get, a license is peanuts. Put that together with halfway decent USB mic and you're set to do all the messing around you could ever want.

Blog Entries

Hi Londy!
    I really like that recording. I think the 'tack piano' character of the mandolin works very well on this tune and for this style of music. Very nice. Fine playing also.
    Regarding your question, I've researched this a little, and have decided the best option is a stand alone digital audio recorder with overdub capabilities, such as the Tascam DR-07mkII (can be found at many vendors for $100 NFI)
    This may be a little more than you are looking to spend, but this solution not only offers you all the benefits of a portable, stand-alone recorder, it also has a variable speed playback function (down to 50% without changing pitch), so it can also serve as and replace a slow-down software.
    I hope to pick one up soon if I can ever stop buying instruments.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thanks! This is really good feedback, just what I think we need. There is a lot to research and learn about that is why I want to try and keep it simple but effective.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Hi Londy, there is so much out there to choose from and everyone has his/her favourites. for what it's worth I Would go along with Jeff May and recommend Reaper. I bought it on the home/small user licence and have had a lot of fun with it. It also allows you to have midi and wav tracks together and I have found it just what I wanted for the sort of recording I do - either 2 or three instruments played together with my fellow bad members or when I do my own multi-tracking with up to 6 or seven tracks being recorded - samll stuff to many folk but suits me. Reaper can also be downloaded and tried with no restrictions to see how you like it, and there are regular upgrades and an excellent forum of advice from all sorts of users.

So far no mention of the Zoom H2 or H4. Wonderful recording device that is easy to use and has really good quality microphones. Good to be used with any of the mentioned DAW that have been listed so far. And can also be used as a USB mic. I usually record my first track on my H2 and then put it into my computer to do any multi-tracking. Incidentally, I use NTrack, and have for years now. Good program, which will also convert to Mp3.
    http://ntrack.com/

Blog Entries

Hey Londy. Hope all is well. Do you have an iPad? There are many multitrack recording options for the iPad. Other than the ProTools Digi003 system on my mac, that's the direction I'm leaning more and more to for simple recording. You can record directly through the internal mic, or get a good interface for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Hey Londy. Hope all is well. Do you have an iPad? There are many multitrack recording options for the iPad. Other than the ProTools Digi003 system on my mac, that's the direction I'm leaning more and more to for simple recording. You can record directly through the internal mic, or get a good interface for it.
    Hey Jim... Thanks for the note. I know you have been using the iPad and maybe I should break down and come to the dark side. There are so many apps for the Mac options seem to be endless. As you may know, I am looking to accomplish 2 things. 1. For an educational and experimental standpoint and 2, record my ideas and share with others so we can play live. Again, thanks for the tips, its always good to hear from you. (btw, did you hear my trial run from Audacity?)

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Blog Entries

I just discovered that the Tascam DR-07mkII I'm considering also has a built-in chromatic tuner. So, I'll get quality recording with good, adjustable mics; overdub capability; built-in reverb; total portability; slow-down capability; and a built-in tuner, all for $100.

I tend to always favor hardware over software, but still, I must ask: why would anyone choose a software solution over a stand alone digital audio recorder? (I'm not asking contentiously, I curious...Am I missing something?)
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I tend to always favor hardware over software, but still, I must ask: why would anyone choose a software solution over a stand alone digital audio recorder? (I'm not asking contentiously, I curious...Am I missing something?)
    I think it depends to some extent on the approach to recording one takes. My son and his band use software-based multitrack recording to create complex layered arrangements of progressive rock music. For this, the waveform editing capabilities of a computer with DAW software are hard to beat. I, on the other hand, record simple guitar/vocal arrangements of folk and blues tunes, rarely (never, actually) punching in overdubs to correct the inevitable glitches in my playing and singing. I like the ease of a dedicated hardware multitrack recorder, and have used Tascam gear for years.

14. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

I just discovered that the Tascam DR-07mkII I'm considering also has a built-in chromatic tuner. So, I'll get quality recording with good, adjustable mics; overdub capability; built-in reverb; total portability; slow-down capability; and a built-in tuner, all for $100.

Lots of reasons.. If you are only doing the kind of stuff that the OP mentions, you can't beat the ease of the ipad apps. I use it for all kinds of shorthand stuff, putting down a rhythm track, I can easily load an recording of my new bands recorded material into 8 track recorder and lay down my part on an adjoining track to test it out and many more. For more serious recording, I've got a 16 track stand alone.

16. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Free Audacity latest release 2.0.1 HERE.

My $.02... If a handheld digital recorder, or one of the standalone multitrack "studio in a box" recorders does everything you need, both now and for the foreseeable future, then it's the right solution.

Standalone recorders have many advantages. They're quiet. They're portable, so you can use them in the best-sounding acoustic space available. They boot up and just work when you want them to, without fussing with computers until you're ready to mix and convert to whatever your final use is.

The downside is that they're not expandable, in the way a modular set of components hooked up to a computer (or a multi-channel hardware recorder) is expandable.

For example, that Tascam DR-07 has an X-Y pair of small condenser mics, which is fine for its intended use as a handheld recorder and basic stereo capture device. But what if you want to try spaced stereo pair recording? What if you want to hear what a room mic sounds like, mixed with a close mic on your instrument? What if you want to hear what a ribbon mic sounds like, or a large diaphragm condenser? What if a bunch of friends show up at your house, and you want to try having each of them mixed to their own channel, instead of a basic stereo capture? If you want to learn about and use those other options, you'll have to start over again from scratch, with different hardware.

I'm not knocking standalone recorders as a concept. My S.O. and I share a Zoom H2 that we use for everything from recording fiddle lessons, to workshop tunes, to band practice so I don't forget the intros and outros my duo partner is always coming up with. For "serious" recording, I use a standalone Tascam DR-680 8-channel multitrack, which is basically nothing more than a bit bucket with great A/D conversion and decent preamps. I bypass the internal preamps and use my higher-end rackmount preamps when recording into that box. I don't like recording direct to computer when I'm doing "live recording" sessions of a group, because standalone hardware is just more reliable and lets me focus on the music. I do record to a laptop when I need to do overdubs, because the DR-680 won't do that. And it's just easier to work with multiple takes and file management on a big laptop screen.

Anyway, to sum up... these inexpensive handheld digital recorders are amazing. As I said, we use our Zoom H2 all the time. But they're deceptive in the way they can lock you into a box that can't go anywhere else, if you ever do want to expand beyond the capabilities of what that one gadget offers.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Getting back to the OP's question: I agree that Audacity is the best starting point, if you've never used this kind of software before. Reaper is the next logical step if you need more features.

Beyond Reaper there are more expensive options, but it begins to involve personal preference in audio work flows. You don't need to deal with the higher-end software unless you're getting into heavy duty editing and mixing.

Blog Entries

http://multitrackstudio.com/

User-friendly, easy to use. I recorded our latest CD with this. They have two versions. One where you can only record one track at a time or the other where you can record several tracks at the same time. Very reasonably priced, as well.