Thread: Flatiron 3MC with issues - value?

Default Flatiron 3MC with issues - value?

Hi, Guys,

I'm considering trading (a bicycle) for the Flatiron 3MC and wanted to see some opinions on its overall quality and value, specifically given the following:

"The Flatiron is a nice instrument. Technically a bouzouki, it has it's share of cosmetic issues as well. The previous owner installed a pickup over the soundhole, which left several mounting holes, though they are small. There's a bit of peghead veneer that is lifting, and a small hairline crack in the back. I've been told it's superficial, and isn't going anywhere. The neck is solid, action is good, and it sounds amazing."

In other words, if I don't like it, what could I expect to sell it for on the Classifieds here?

Thanks much!
    John

Default Re: Flatiron 3MC with issues - value?

Sounds like a keeper to me!!!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Go for it. I've had a 3-K for 25+ years, and it's a workhorse octave mandolin. As to selling price, I've seen some just "south" of $1K, but since they haven't been made for quite a while, there's a limited supply and the price may edge upwards.

Of course, depends on what your bike is worth, as to whether it's a decent trade. And since there are a few issues, wouldn't hurt to get it looked over by your favorite instrument tech before you complete the deal...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Sorry, just saw the most recent post. Having someone check it out sounds like a reasonable request. Thanks much.

What do you value the bicycle at?

With those issues I'd say you might be able to sell it for $700 tops.

I'm with Shaun. Unless your bike has a trade value of $500, or less, I wouldn't trade it. Caveat emptor, unless you plan on making it a keeper.

These are great little players and would probably do well for you, but if you don't like it for some reason it might be tough to pass on. The small crack and the peghead veneer can usually be absorbed as okay by a buyer, but the "several holes" around the soundhole would probably cause most potential buyers to pass it over.

Thanks, gentlemen. It would be a partial trade - the bike I'm trying to sell is ~$700/$750. The guy also has a Taylor Big Baby, which I like but don't have a lot of use for, but I'm thinking that I might have an easier time selling - should I choose to - either/both of them than a folding bicycle.

If anyone has more advice/info, I'd sure appreciate seeing it, but this has been helpful.
    Last edited by jhngml; Jun-27-2012 at 1:10pm. Reason: spelling error

Generally, unless you are very knowledgeable and have the time and energy to invest and the money to "tie up", it usually is not a good idea to buy an instrument with the idea from the outset that you want to sell it. Wanting some info to make sure you are "in the ballpark" is reasonable, but the first reason should be because you want it to own it. Selling can be time (and money) consuming, and even if you eventually get most of your $$ back, it might be tough to sell and your $$$ may be tied up for a while, especially if it's an octave mandolin/bouzouki (for which demand is not as high) -- then again if you have been seriously looking for an octave mando/bouzouki for personal use....that's another story.

If the guy wants to trade that instrument PLUS a Taylor Big Baby (in VG-excellent) condition for a $700 bike, that's probably safe, especially if you are pretty sure you want that instrument. If you do, and you enjoy it for a few years and then sell it for a small loss (if that), well, that's not really a loss. But if you're buying it to quickly resell -- generally not a good idea unless you have experience in this and that's how you want to spend your time.