Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classifieds - Seller Etiquette

Just a brief comment/suggestion for sellers:

Recently, I've "replied" with interest on several items "wanted" and "for sale". Literally, none of the sellers have responded at all. In each case, offers and interest were serious, yet no response.

I would suggest that all sellers reply back to those interested parties with an honest response. If you've sold it, say so. If the offer is bad, say so. Just close the deal.

Thanks for hearing me out. And thank you for replying to inquiries. Joe (they call me "cash"!)
    ..... f5joe

It would also help to remove adds after an item is sold.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

If you are awaiting a reply from fatt-dad, let me know. I recently had a very interesting email from someone who said they wanted to move fast and buy my Alvarez A-400 - you know, how fast can I ship it, is it as good as it looks, etc. Well, I gave the full scoop in an email and nothing. Maybe the email reply was gacked up? Who knows.

fatt-dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Not making excuses for bad behavior, but this is a difficult period to be handling correspondence. If I'm typical(though I've never been accused of being so)I can understand folks forgeting how demading of their time these holidays can be. I placed an item on eBay with an ending time of 7:00pm 12/24. Brilliant strategy--still have the item. Anyway, happy new year to all.

although there is some weirdness going on with identify theft today which targeted the cafe ads. i've gotten several requests from the same person. now i notice that he has posted that he is having problems with someone using his e-mail. go figure.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I have contacted two people about mandos on the classifieds and haven't received a reply. I figure it is because of the holidays. I'll send another follow up next week.

I emailed on a couple of items in the last few days and received both fast & helpful answers on both. They were a DVD which I bought & the Pomeroy which sounds nice but not what I'm looking for.

Part of the sellers etiquette #should be, if at all possible, an image posted along with the add, there are far to many adds , including really expensive mandolins without an image, most sellers have a digital camera or have access to one.

It is hard enough to form any kind of an initial opinion, without hearing the instrument, let alone no image.

I see adds that have been on for what seems like a long time to me. maybe an add could be like a subscription, after so many days you have to renew it or it is deleted. Like tracking topics here on the board. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

the ads do expire. they can be renewed but not indefinately.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I didn't know that, sure seemed like a good idea though. I wish I'd of thought of it. haha Thanks John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

there are also those who just want to see the pics. there are a few people i hear from everytime i list something. and i never hear from them again until i post a new ad.

generally if i send someone pics and they never respond i just assume they are not interested.

You might want to contact them again, or if there's a phone number listed use that. I know my spam program filters out a lot of unsolicited email, and if I wasn't so good about checking my "junk" email box, I could lose some important customer email. We're a small operation, though. Some of these companies are huge and don't have someone to personally go through all the junk mail before it's deleted.

Let this be a lesson to all of us in the trade: check your junk emails before you delete! If you use yahoo or hotmail for business, make sure your "junk" filters are turned off, or that you manually check them before deletion.

Adam
    Sweet Music International - Instruments, Bow Hair & Luthier Supplies. #Wholesale & Retail.
    http://www.sweetmusicinternational.com/

Exclamation

What about the people who reply to your ads requesting more information and detailed pictures along with offers to purchase "if you reduce your price." When you comply with the requests and accept their offer you receive a responce like; "I'm working on the cash. I should know something in a couple of weeks." -or- you never hear anything from them again. Come on people, if your not serious or you don't have the $, don't waist our time! #

sweet, i'm not a business. #like many others on this site i'm just an individual with a tendancy to buy mandolins, sell them and buy another, and the beat goes on...... #

if i am really anxious to sell something i use evil-bay......which in itself is even more of an adventure.

Yeah pretty much the same experiences here. Although my policy is first come with the cash is served first. No need here to place an item on hold. And yes please delete the ads after your merchandise is sold and always contribute a portion of the sell to the Cafe. Thats just plain ole "ate-a-cat." Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

i place mine on hold while awaiting funds. i take it down generally when i get the cash. but you are right. first come first served.

i sold a guitar on another site a few weeks back and once i placed it on hold i had several people say they wanted to be the "backup buyer". one guy offered to give me more if i'd cancel the deal with the buyer. geeesh!

frets1,

agree completely. I can't tell you how much time I've spent going back and forth with potential buyers on pics, negotiations, etc. only for them to say, "well, I'll have to pass. I don't have the cash right now." But you DID when you started all this back & forth?

Quote Originally Posted by (jjboone101 @ Jan. 06 2005, 14:29)
    frets1,

agree completely. I can't tell you how much time I've spent going back and forth with potential buyers on pics, negotiations, etc. only for them to say, "well, I'll have to pass. I don't have the cash right now." #But you DID when you started all this back & forth?
    welcome to the world of instrument sales! #as my Dad always said, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

selling instruments is not easy. #it's not like selling toilet paper. #at least with toilet paper, people know what to look for and how to use it. #with instruments, people have a million questions and don't always know how to use the instrument, many times they're parents or non-player guardian-types making a purchase for a child or a friend. #They're skittish and cautious, paranoid from all the eBay scare stories. #They don't know you from a hole in the wall. #If you don't have a website or a brick and mortar store, how can they trust you? #So you have to be willing to do a little more to gain their trust - sending pictures, offer to call them, whatever you have to do, do it. #if you don't do this, you just make it easier for the rest of us who DO make a living selling instruments, because we know what it takes sometimes to make a sale, and we're willing to go that extra mile.

Sweet Music International - Instruments, Bow Hair & Luthier Supplies. #Wholesale & Retail.
    http://www.sweetmusicinternational.com/

I go the extra mile (2 miles) all the time and am happy to do it. Sweet, you are missing the point. A lot of the time, people do not have the $ and do not intend on buying from the get-go. I guess they just don't have anything to do.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

O.K. so I put up a mandolin in the Classfides and ask for $750.00. There is some interest (not much), but I get one reply asking me to sell it for $450.00 'cause that's what he sees them selling for on ebay. Well, I'm not selling my mandolin for that, and if that's what he sees, why doesn't he just go buy it on ebay? What's the deal, is he just trying to rub my nose in what he feels is the "wrong" price? Sometimes folks should just say nothing - I mean was this guy hoping I would sell a solid wood hand carved f-style mandolin (albit a pac rim) for $450.00 (or should I just chalk it up to "it never hurts to ask)?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

i'd just chalk it up to "it never hurts to ask"...i always feel remiss if i buy something without at least trying to talk someone down on the price (although from $750 to $450 is quite a stretch).

Quote Originally Posted by (fatt-dad @ Jan. 07 2005, 07:32)
    O.K. so I put up a mandolin in the Classfides and ask for $750.00. There is some interest (not much), but I get one reply asking me to sell it for $450.00 'cause that's what he sees them selling for on ebay. #Well, I'm not selling my mandolin for that, and if that's what he sees, why doesn't he just go buy it on ebay? #What's the deal, is he just trying to rub my nose in what he feels is the "wrong" price? #Sometimes folks should just say nothing - I mean was this guy hoping I would sell a solid wood hand carved f-style mandolin (albit a pac rim) for $450.00 (or should I just chalk it up to "it never hurts to ask)?

f-d
    I'll give you $250 for it.

J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by (J. Mark Lane @ Jan. 07 2005, 13:46)
    I'll give you $250 for it.
    That's the kind of auction I like

personally, i hate the haggle. that's why i buy my cars from the same dealer everytime. i walk in and say, "i want that one".
    i think the key is to be reasonable. would you offer $4k for a master model listed at $7k? you have to at least keep the seller's interest. as soon as someone asks me "what's your best price?" i get turned off; especially when the ad states that the price is firm.