Thread: New Lafferty Import Model

Default New Lafferty Import Model

I got the email announcing the New Lafferty import model. It looks like Eastman 615 or darn close to one. Just an observation
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Default Re: New Lafferty Import Model

Tailpiece looks familiar
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Blog Entries

I got that as well. I wonder how they will make it easy to discern the difference between the US and Chinese versions? I'm confident in Dennis's ability to QC the product so it meets high standards. The Eastman line has a narrow nut and this one is a wide nut. They have a similar fingerboard end and they both have the Eastman tailpiece and pick up. The Lafferty is $100 more than the 615. Their scrolls look different from the back to me. Since Dennis has been mum about who builds them domestically, I reckon he'll be similarly mum about the origin of these.... as is his right. They'll stand or fall on their own merit, as they should.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I thought these were made in the US? Wondered how they could be made so cheaply. It was my original guess that they were constructed "in the white" in China and finished here in the US, as many violins by Eastman are finished here in the US and private labeled. How do I know this? I used to work at a violin shop where this was SOP.

Blog Entries

Adam, there are two lines of Lafferty, one US made and this new imported line.

Just like most guitar makers, there is the higher end USA made and the lower price import models.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

OK - If I say something is Made in USA - it is. If I say its made in China - it is. I did not get to be where we are in the mandolin community be deceiving people. We have built a reputation on honesty / integrity. The USA built mandolins are just that - they are not built off shore and finished in the USA. Currently, Paul Schneider and Audey Ratliff are working with us on our domestic carved top mandolins. We are using a different builder for flat top instruments.

To qualm future questions, we will be sourcing Eastman tailpieces on our US built mandolins in the near future. This allows us to keep the cost down and still have a quality tailpiece. When we try to offer a quality made in USA mandolin.............like our front and back bound A with a flowerpot on the headstock - for $1499 / and our top bound F for $2499, we could either do a 2 piece tailpiece or try and source a cast tailpiece less expensive than the Allen. Every person who has played our domestic mandolins has been blown away..........dont let the low price fool you. They are under priced considering how good they are. I could have priced them high and then discounted them but I prefer to price items at the lowest price we can afford to sell them for. I wish I could do that on everything we sell but manufacturer MAP policies (Minimum advertised price) will not allow us to do that.

I sure hope this clears things up as to where my instruments are made and the prices we are selling them for. We work very hard to serve the mandolin community and will continue to do so.
    Last edited by The Mandolin Store; Jun-19-2012 at 6:46pm.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Dennis,
    You have always been upfront with us and I see no reason to question you now. If I didn't have my t2 Webers I would jump on one of your Laffertys. They seem to be a quality instrument at a more then fair price.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Blog Entries

Dennis, congratulations on, and best wishes for the new Lafferty model!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Dennis,

Congratulations on this business expansion and I wish you all the best. My experiences with you and your store have always been top notch and you have shown that you will go above and beyond when working with your customers. It seems you are doing the same with your Lafferty line and for that I salute you.

Thanks Dennis - You and your crew are the best. Congrats on this new effort!

Is that Paul with Summit mandolins? Is so, he and Mr. Ratliff do a fine job on their work so I'm sure these are as well. They have quite a bit of experience in what works and what doesn't.
    Do you see a red spruce, satin finish in the works?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Blog Entries

Dennis my question wasn't in regards to trying to fool anyone about the origins of the instruments rather making it easier than looking at the label. If they're both labeled Lafferty, it makes it more challenging in the used market to know which is which if the seller isn't clear. I guess Martin has the same challenges with their imported guitars vs the ones from PA so, I guess it may not be a huge concern.

I want to be clear that I was not suggesting you were trying to misrepresent any of your instruments.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +