Thread: 1920 Vega Flatback Mandolin - strings?

Default 1920 Vega Flatback Mandolin - strings?

A few days ago I bought a old Vega mandolin from a local instrument shop in Cambridge, MA. It's a nice little flatback A model with a sunburst finish and an oval soundhole - not one of the cylinder back ones for which Vega is known. The serial number is 38471, and using some other similar threads as guides and the mugwumps site, one can assume that it was built in Boston in 1920. Nice to have an instrument built in one's hometown!

Anyway, I've been wondering how heavy I could go on the strings. The mandolin came with light strings on it, but I'd love to see if I could use J74s on them (or something similar, to be honest I haven't really ever used any other strings besides the d'addario ones and am very open to suggestions). But of course I do not want to damage the instrument or warp the neck.

I don't have any pictures of it, but if I peek inside, there does not seem to be a truss rod, but I guess it could be out of view somehow. The neck does seem quite thick though, thicker than a newer Kentucky KM-805 that I also have.

Anyone have suggestions for strings that would work nicely without damaging this little 92 year old?

Also - might any Vega experts out there know what kind of wood they were using for mandolin making back in 1920?

Thanks!
    Charlie

Default Re: 1920 Vega Flatback Mandolin - strings?

Welcome to the cafe Charlie! J74s are very heavy strings indeed, and only really suited to archtop mandolins. I'd guess that J62s (10 - 34) would be the heaviest you'd want to try with this Vega.

It is not the neck that is at risk from heavy strings but the top, which can collapse from too much pressure. Check that any internal braces are intact and still held with glue. Check the position of the bridge (easiest with a clip on tuner) as you go when you string her up.

No doubt Vega experts will be along soon to give more specific advice, and to ask to see a picture of your mandolin.

In 1920, there wasn't the Choice of strings available today. Bowlback mandolins had very light strings and it seems like the guages for the then common Tenor Banjo were similar, still are today. I would stick with what the instrument was designed for.

Thanks to you both! I didn't know it was the top that could be damaged if strings were too heavy. I guess I never realized that everyone must have used light strings back then.

I am used to playing with medium to heavy string sets, so I don't know much about light strings beside the standard d'addarios. Any recommendations? I usually play bluegrass and old-time.

Also managed to take a picture. I'm happy to take more if you'd like to see different angles or a close up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vega.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	87731.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckhorton View Post
    Thanks to you both! I didn't know it was the top that could be damaged if strings were too heavy. I guess I never realized that everyone must have used light strings back then.

I am used to playing with medium to heavy string sets, so I don't know much about light strings beside the standard d'addarios. Any recommendations? I usually play bluegrass and old-time.

Also managed to take a picture. I'm happy to take more if you'd like to see different angles or a close up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vega.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	87731.
    "light" is a subjective term which string manufacturers can be rather free with. You need to go by the gauges. I'd imagine you'd be fine with a 10 - 34 set (such as d'addario J62s).

Check the bracing carefully first by giving it a poke via the hole, if it flexes you'll need to get it glued.

Ooh nice. Looks like a 201 (the cylinderbacks being designated 202, 203, 205 and 207, according to furniture and ornamentation)

Whilst woods do change, the catalogue I have which features it offers the following specification:

Style No.201

Body. Mahogany body, top edge inlaid with black and white purfling, fiberloid bound, soundhole inlaid with marquetry, fiberloid bound, art tortoise shell guard plate.

Neck. Mahogany, rosewood veneered head-piece. Extension ebony finger board, 20 rolled nickel silver frets, hand finished, pearl position marks.

Trimmings. Ebony hand finished bridge, ivory nut, detachable, nickel plated tailpiece, selected strings, nickel plated machines, French polished.

Unfortunately, the art tortoise mentioned has been wilfully pushed to extinction by artless legislators in the West. Would that they had directed their doleful gaze towards the mother of toilet seat abalone instead.
    Last edited by dunbarhamlin; Jun-14-2012 at 12:34am.