Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If I put Loar in the title...will it get your attention?

Blog Entries

Default Re: If I put Loar in the title...will it get your attention?

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    I always liked the story - and whether or not it is true doesn't really matter - that Mr Loar was shown the door for, after a few drinks too many, getting fresh with the boss's wife at a company Christmas party.
    That's the "official story" but it's not quite how it went down -- I was there. Lloyd was sober and hanging around the punch bowl, the wife OTOH was plastered decided to put a move on HIM. By then there was already a guy by the name of Bob out in the factory who could build F-5's so the rest is history....
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

To most mandolin newcomers, the name Loar has little significance. "The Loar" is even worse... it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I don't see how a newcomer, like myself, would be drawn to this brand because of the name alone. On the other hand, seasoned mandolin buyers are very familiar with the historical significance of the name and its importance. Because of this, It's difficult for me to understand the marketing objective they had in mind – other than the name could and would stir controversy.

Company's spend millions of dollars building and protecting their 'brand'. They employ highly-paid brand managers, whose first responsibility is protecting the name and marketing position of the company's brand. In most cases the 'brand' is the company – losing the brand means losing the company's identity.

This company is in the process of building their brand. So far, it seems they've done a good job. I purchased a LM400 because of the excellent reviews, not because of the name. After the dust settles, The Loar brand name will etch out a market share and position if they maintain a quality threshold that maintains their marketing position. If not, the name and company will disappear into the dust bin as many other once famous name brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    To most mandolin newcomers, the name Loar has little significance.
    Speaking as someone who bought my first mandolin not very many years ago... I had no idea who Loar the person was. The idea that "The Loar" is unfairly duping newcomers is bunk. Noobs like I was know little beyond a vague notion that Martins and Gibsons have some fame. Lloyd Loar is not even a rumor of a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    ... But I do not buy the idea the name was conceived as a tribute. That notion does not pass the smell test. It's a marketing ploy, legal, smart to some observers and cynical to others ...
    with respect, this doesn't make sense: if it's generally agreed that lloyd loar is not a household name, why choose it to market your product?

i suspect that if those who came up with the name were asked, they'd say they chose it simply because it was "kind'a neat." if you were asked to come up with a ploy to sell lots of mandolins - something specifically dsigned to finagle the folks into thinking they're buying something they ain't - what name would you choose? ... the elvis? ... the stud? how about naming it after a popular performer or a musical icon and say there's a limited edition?

i'd call it "the rose" - by any other name would it not sound as sweet?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    That's the "official story" but it's not quite how it went down -- I was there. Lloyd was sober and hanging around the punch bowl, the wife OTOH was plastered decided to put a move on HIM. By then there was already a guy by the name of Bob out in the factory who could build F-5's so the rest is history....
    Congrats to your approx. 100th birthday, then ...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Congrats to your approx. 100th birthday, then ...
    took the words right out of my mouth
    I love that the same people who believe the moon landing was a government conspiracy think that wrestling is real.