Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of the Geib Musical Instrument Case Company

Default History of the Geib Musical Instrument Case Company

Lots of us own Gibson mandolins and other pre-war instruments that came with cases built by G&S Co. (also known as Geib & Schaefer, or Geib, Inc.) For like-minded case fanatics, I have managed to put together a brief history of the company. http://kirtleymusic.home.comcast.net/geib.htm

I welcome comments and additional documentation of the evolution of Geib cases.

Regards,
    Steve

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Loudloar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: History of the Geib Musical Instrument Case Company

Well done. I enjoyed reading that. A lot of fascinating snippets in there.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Wonderful article, Loudloar, i've learned tons of things. Thanks for sharing.

Great job Steve!

I forwarded your URL to a few other Gibson enthusiasts....

Joe Spann

Excellent. Are you looking for pictures of Geib cases?

Gotta love the Music Trade Review archives. Loaded with tons of information and all FREE.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Are you looking for pictures of Geib cases?
    I'm interested in photos of examples that can be precisely dated, especially in transitional eras so we can see when various features change. I only included a few photos, but I have large collection of photos and own a number of G&S cases.

Potentially I'd like to do the same thing for Lifton, Harptone, and a few others, although I haven't found the same wealth of information on those companies.

If you want an education in pre-war cases, look here:
    http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...tins-30-s-40-s

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 012.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	87370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 013.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	87371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 014.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	87372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 016.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	87373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 017.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	87374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 018.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	87375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 019.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	87376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 020.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	87377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karen's 30th and 1930 F5 case 021.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	87378I have a very unusual, and I think very cool F5 mandolin case. It is rectangular, with brown exterior and a reddish marroon interior. Two long interior pockets, somewhat remminicient of a Loar F5 case, but, with lids. This is one of my favourite F5 cases I have ever owned, but, I do not know what it is. I feel that it is 1940's, must have been a Gibson case, for the simple reason, only an F5 will fit in it, and I don't know who else would have been making an F5.
    The latches are spring loaded, like a 50's Lifton case, the "California Girl" case. This could mean it is newer???
    I will enclose pictures, and look forward to your opinion. I commonly keep my Loar in it.
    Thanks, Ken

OK, well for what it's worth this Geib case came to me with a 1918-26 Style 1 Martin uke that my late Step-father owned. He got the uke in the 20's used and I'm pretty sure the case might be later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	87381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	87382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(5).jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	87383  

Did Geib make the brown 50's case?

Mike, Yes the uke case is later. The medallion says "Economo" and my research showed that name was trademarked in 1948. Otherwise, judging by the fittings, one would be tempted to think it was older.

Ken, Yes I've see that mandolin case in earlier discussions. It's quite a gem. It's clearly not Geib. At first I thought it might have been made by a briefcase company. But on second thought it is probably made by a company that builds horn cases. They often have that kind of lip, and the fold of lining over the hinge area. If you start searching for post-war trumpets you might eventually find something similar. That still might not identify the manufacturer but it could lead to something. I am thinking it was a one-of-a-kind custom order from a horn case company. To me it looks post-war, and the Presto latches are similar to a 1950 Presto advertisement:
    http://vintageadsandbooks.com/presto...s-ad-s350.html

Steve

Thanks, Steve. It clearly looks like the lock assembly in the lower left picture of the 1950 advertisment. It has the round, side sliding button that releases the latch, and the key hole next to it. It says "Presto" on the key that is with the case. Strange that it is made for an F5, isn't it?

Great article. Here is a snapshot from a tweed Geib trio in the shop last summer- my favorite cases ever made.

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage tweed Gieb cases.jpg 
Views:	11529 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	87441  

15. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

That's great information Steve, many thanks. I now know who made the case my early 1920's Majestic tenor banjo is in as it has a diamond on the accessory box lid.

Neil

Nice shot of the tweed cases. Notice the different handle positions. The rightmost one has the traditional handle location straddling the lock. The other two have a higher handle position, as seen on most Lifton cases but also some Geib's. The first version causes the case to be carried parallel to the ground, the second option makes the case hang at about forty-five degrees. Makes you wonder if Geib deliberately changed specifications or if it depended on who worked that shift.

Steve

Steve,

As noted in my earlier post, I forwarded several serious Gibson experts a link to your website. One of them, my good friend Frank Schoepf had these comments, which I thought you would enjoy reading.

From Frank:
    Very nicely done article that covers the G&S and Geib products very well. I did notice one item not covered. There are late thirties Geib, Inc banjo cases that are branded "Durabilt" on the bottom but are not of the "KantKrak" construction. These cases are keratol covered three-ply basswood construction very similar to but somewhat less expensive than the "MastrKraft" line. The ones I've seen had a leather covered handle and were lined with green flannel. I do not know if these were ever used by Gibson.

Joe Spann

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments, and to Frank for his input.

He is absolutely correct regarding Durabilt cases. I have a feeling that only violin cases were ever made using the KantKrak construction. (I believe the KantKrack process consisted of layers of burlap and resin of some type, using heat to cure. Sort of the Carbon Fiber of it's day.) The Durabilt description on my webpage is a direct quote from a G&S advertisement - and we all know how accurate advertising can be. I'll have to add a note clarifying this issue.

I'm always glad for more details to flesh out this interesting story.

Steve

Ken, Back to your mystery mandolin case.

Here's a 1952 Martin saxophone case that's VERY similar to your mandolin case. It might even be roughly similar exterior dimensions. No maker identified but could be Lifton: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Martin-...item4d014b8f0a

Here's a discussion of 1950's Lifton trumpet cases with pictures that are somewhat similar. http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140...ils-56697.html

So, I'm thinking maybe. . . late '40's Lifton?

Steve

I haven't looked at your articles yet, but, my instinct has always been a late 40's Lifton. Presto key though....
    I will enjoy looking at your articles. Thanks so much for your interest.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    I have a feeling that only violin cases were ever made using the KantKrak construction. (I believe the KantKrack process consisted of layers of burlap and resin of some type, using heat to cure. Sort of the Carbon Fiber of it's day.) Steve
    Steve,

Geib & Schaefer also built tenor banjo cases using the KantKrak construction.

Here's the patent (1669266) for the process:

http://www.google.com/patents/US1669...669266&f=false

Joe Spann

Thanks Joe for the patent. It appears to require very complicated molds. It uses fabric. (The examples I've seen look like burlap.) It uses "sizing" which is probably not the starch we think of for sizing cloth, but rather certain chemicals and rosins of the sort that are used in paper processing. It doesn't clearly say it uses heat, but it uses the words "pressing" and "ironing" and "drying". I also found a guitar case that is stamped KantKrack. It's halfway down this page: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...2#.T85WlsVKVRU

So it appears that G&S did build a variety of KantKrack cases. Their 1928 announcement of the Durabilt brand says it would use the KantKrack construction, but we've seen later Durabilt cases of wood shell construction.

Steve

Excellennnnnnnnnt
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I have a couple of these brown and pink F5 cases. One has the Geib badge inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3882.JPG 
Views:	442 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	87558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4373.JPG 
Views:	520 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	87559

Ken, That's a cool case. Any way to date it? Must be early 1950's? Isn't that the same type as the famous Bill Monroe case?

There are similar brown & pink Geib-badged cases of that era for Les Pauls. We usually think of Lifton as the manufacturer of these "California Girl" cases, and they probably did build most of them. Can you believe that some of those Les Paul Lifton cases sell in the neighborhood of $5,000? That's not for the guitar, boys & girls, just for the case.

Steve

I don't have any way to date the case, I got it without the F5 inside. The other one I have looks the same but no badge. Too bad I can't convert them to a Les Paul case.