Thread: 1941 Harmony Monterey

Default 1941 Harmony Monterey

My father just gave me my grandfather's Harmony Montery mandolin. Story is it was given to him in the early 40s, which correlates with the date stamp of "F41". The model number is 1881H417 (as I understand, Harmony did not use serial numbers), but this does not correlate with any model numbers found on the Harmony web site. Further, all I have read about this Monterey model says that is was manufactured between 1958 and 1972. The date stamp/model number are very clear marked inside the body. Does anyone have any experience with this particular mandolin? It was purchased near Nevada, Missouri (a very rural area). The mandolin itself is in decent shape and with a luthier now being restrung. It has a great case, a faux alligator finish with a leather handle. Any help is appreciated -- this forum is great!

Default Re: 1941 Harmony Monterey

Mindybar....I don`t really know about the F41 stamp but I do know that I bought a new Harmony Montery mandolin in 1956 so the info that you got about them not being made before 1958 doesn`t seem to be correct...

I have read somewhere that Harmony and some other builders used a letter to indicate what time of year it was made, F meaning "Fall"...I`m sure some others will post more info....

Willie

More threads on Harmony mandolins:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3 -- this one has Paul H mentioning that 1958 start date for the Monterrey.

From this Harmony site:

Q - How can I date my Harmony guitar from the serial number ?
    A - Usually you will find two stamps inside your Harmony guitar. They always are on a place easy to read, ie near the f-holes on a archtop. The larger one is the serial number, and the part after the "H" letter is the model number. For example, on the photo below this guitar is without doubt a H22 (You can type a model number, with the H, on the search box on top of this page). The first part of the serial number has no precise meaning relative to the date of production. It seems Harmony reset these numbers in every batch of the model, so a "6690H22" can be older than a "123H22" for example. Tip : on many guitars (easy to check on flat top acoustics), Harmony stamped the top of the guitar as well as the back, so if the number on the back is difficult to read, use a mirror and check under the top (near the neck)
    The other smaller stamp is the date stamp and indicates the year of production. It's said that the letter at the beginning indicates the period of the year, like "F" for "Fall" or "S" for "Spring". That was before Ed, a former worker from the Harmony factory, said : "The company closed down production every July for two weeks. During the last two weeks of June an effort was made to finish as many orders as possible and not start any new orders. The last days of June, we had a complete inventory. I believe the "F'" and "S" may have stood for first and second half of the year."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What the F and S in the Harmony date code was thought to be has changed in the last few years. The F actually stands for First half, the S stands for Second half as in fist and second half of the year. The date of manufacture is F41, it is indeed 1941, the first half of the year. The Harmony Monterey was manyfactured well before that date, I have a catalog page from the 30's showing Montery mandolins. Although technically Harmony did not serialize instruments in a way they did. That H indicates Harmony, one side of that number is a model number, the other side is a number thought to be in the series of the batches being built. In other words, it's not a serial number but it can be a moving target.

This Harmony catalog page was on the opposite side of a page with a very identifiable 1936-37 Kalamazoo KM-11 mandolin. Both pages are in the Vintage Catalog Social group. Your model number is an H417. Note that the model in the ad is a Model 410. Chances are that was a model H410.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monterey.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	87221

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941_Harmony_Monterey_2.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	87251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941_Harmony_Monterey_1.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	87252

I had it cleaned up a little and restrung yesterday ... it sounds beautiful! Thank you all for the information, especially the catalogue photo. I beleive it is the arched one (the one that cost $19.50)?

I believe it to be the higher model of the two, yes. Very nice.

When I first saw your picture, I didn't notice that it was the same mandolin from two different angles. I thought we were looking at the first ever Harmoney Monterey Mandocello! Wow

When I bought mine in 1956 it sold for $24.95....That was in the PX on an Air Force Base....Willie