Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Multi-Instrument Capo

Default Best Multi-Instrument Capo

Let me start by asking that no one get into a debate about wether to capo mandolin (or any other instrument) is bad, good, indifferent, or otherwise; there are plenty of threads to that effect already, all of which get a bit too scwably for my tastes. Suffice it to say, I'm interested in a capo to play open chords that are physically impossible to play in a closed position.

So, now on to the actual question at hand: what's the best multi-instrument capo you all have come across? I'm looking for a versatile capo that would work on guitar, the mandolin family, and 4 string banjo. Are there any that can work sufficiently for all of that, or should I just look into getting a couple discrete ones?

Default Re: Best Multi-Instrument Capo

Besides my left index finger, the best capo for me is made by Kyser. There are different models, for different width fretboard, radiused or not, etc. Because my instruments have such varying widths (mandolin, 10-string 'dola, two OM's with different widths, mandocello and 6 and 12 string guitars) and some of mine have flat fretboards with others radiused, no one capo will fit them all. I like Kyser because they are easy to use, require no adjustment (like a screw or strap) can clamp on to the headstock when not in use and are pretty rugged. I like to get them in any color but black, because the odds are everyone else at the gig/jam will have black Kysers.

I think the radiused fingerboard on the guitar vs flat on mandos, banjos etc is the reason for having different capos.
    I could never really get my G7 guitar capo to fret a mandolin cleany, but picked up a G7 mando capo on special and it's pretty freaking sweet.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Bar chords

Ben, I prefer radiused fingerboards on mandos and banjos; my current mandos are radiused, and I plan on upgrading my banjo soon, which will include a radiused fingerboard, so that's not a problem for me.

8ch(pl), you obviously didn't read the whole intro to the question, so let me reiterate and accentuate the part that is specific to your comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    Let me start by asking that no one get into a debate about wether to capo mandolin (or any other instrument) is bad, good, indifferent, or otherwise; there are plenty of threads to that effect already, all of which get a bit too scwably for my tastes. Suffice it to say, I'm interested in a capo to play open chords that are physically impossible to play in a closed position.

Destroyer of Mandolins

I'm not sure there's any guitar capo that won't feel at least a little over-sized on the other instruments. Personally, I like Shubb for all three purposes, but I have two discreet capos.

I have, in a pinch, used a guitar capo on the mandolin, but I don't recommend that long term.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I prefer the Dunlop Victor capo at gigs. It works well with the different radiuses on the guitars and mandolins, even the flat fingerboards. It is sturdy enough to carry in my pocket and there are no parts to lose. It is a little hard to hide on the mandolin if you are around bluegrassers. I use a standard Schubb guitar capo at home. It has a little plastic piece that can get lost. Haven't tried either of them on a banjo. The down side is that neither of these clips onto the instrument very well when not in use. The up side is that they don't need to be tightened very much, so they don't pull the instrument out of tune so bad. I would suggest looking at the Schubb banjo/mandolin capo and a different one for the guitar.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I'd always go with different capos for different instruments:
    - radiused vs flat fretboard (already mentioned)
    - more or less strings with higher or lower tension to press down
    - quick capo shift needed on one instrument, not on the other
    - capos for wide fretboards get in the way when used on narrow fretboards (especially on a mandolin, where there is little enough room as it is).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

A spring-loaded capo might make sense, as the different instruments vary in neck depth, as well as neck width. Screw-adjustment capos may not have a a wide enough adjustment range to cover all sizes of neck.

However, since capos are specifically designed in different sizes for different instruments, may be hard to find one that's equally useful on guitar, banjo and mandolin. You're going to have to cover the largest instrument, so you're starting with a guitar capo; then you need to find one whose bar curvature fits the differing radii of guitar, banjo and mandolin necks.

Guess I'm questioning the overall premise: why not have a different capo for each instrument, or at least two capos, one for guitar and one for banjo and mandolin? I have a Shubb clipped to my guitar headstock, a smaller Dunlop hung around my banjo strap, and a similar one in the mandolin case (don't use it very often). I can see a minor benefit in having one all-purpose, but not a major advantage.

Another suggestion: the Bird of Paradise capo has a wide-ranging cam adjustment, so it may work on a variety of neck depths. Drawback is that it's big and clunky/weird looking (like a toucan biting your instrument neck). Just a thought...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Gene @ RSM

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    Ben, I prefer radiused fingerboards on mandos and banjos; my current mandos are radiused, and I plan on upgrading my banjo soon, which will include a radiused fingerboard, so that's not a problem for me.

8ch(pl), you obviously didn't read the whole intro to the question, so let me reiterate and accentuate the part that is specific to your comment:
    Down Simba.

While you may look at a capo as serving a different purpose than your finger, understand that your index finger does indeed do the same thing. Both the capo and the index finger, in essence, move the nut. Only difference is that you now only have the use of three fingers vs. four.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Not necessarily Gene. There are unusual and uncommon examples. One exaggerated example would be playing 0-0-14-15 then capoing it to 2-2-16-17. They are extended, broken G and A chords, true, (and exaggerations) but you couldn't do that without a capo. I don't know if that's the kind of thing Appalachia is talking about, but such things do exist. Oddly enough, I've experimented with those myself to mimic the mountain dulcimer sound. So there's an Appalachian connection there at least.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

banjo - tenor guitar capo, instrument has 2 less strings so it's not as wide.

If you also play the guitar, you need 2 capos.

[not much neck space on a capo'd mandolin left, so I use barre chords instead]

Irish Zouk , no problem..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Interesting thread and you did manage to get the capo/non-capo response. I use two different Shubbs, one for mandolin, octave and tenor guitar and the other for guitar. Shubb because they take up little space and can be set so that they do not put too much tension on the strings, thereby less likely to put the tuning out.
    You need to try different designs for yourself - the Kayser has been mentioned here and lots of people use them at the open nights and other sessions I attend, but I just can't get along with them. Nothing wrong with the Kayser design, but just not for me.

bird of paradise

I use shubb, keyser, paige and anything else I've come across over the years...incuding traditional flamenco cejila. They all have their attributes, but for multiple instruments none comes close to the BOP--it's the most adjustable among them...highly effective on anything from 12-strings to tenors--any width, any tension

Link to Bird of Paradise capo.

Designed by John Wiesenthal, guitarist and teacher here in Rochester. Not for everyone, since it's a bit bulky and strange-looking, but as catmandu2 says, nearly infinitely cam-adjustable.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

For those that have been pondering why I'd want just one capo, the biggest reason is that I like to travel really light when it comes to accessories; there's less chance of accidentally leaving something behind (and more room for other instruments ). From what's been said here so far, I'll probably start off just getting a Bids of Paradise capo, and seeing how well it works on all the instruments. If I feel like it isn't working, I can get a banjo/mandolin capo then.

I like a capo that lives up behind the nut all the time, whether I am using it or not.
    That really helps with not having to look for it when you need it and then leaving it behind somewhere.
    These Paige's are very discreet when in place and also act as a behind-the-nut string damper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KaiserGuitarCapo.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	87164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paigemandolincapo.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	87163
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    These Paige's are very discreet when in place and also act as a behind-the-nut string damper
    And very lightweight

I do think you're going to have to have more than one capo. Different neck widths and profiles makes one-size-fits- all a tricky proposition. My current favorite design is the Planet Waves NS. Keysers always seem to pull my instruments very sharp.

I really don't think you're going to like having a Bird of Paradise capo on your mandolin.
    Steve

Now, light-weight was the secondary criteria, [#16] The elastic strap, hose and pin capos
    are light enough to get 2, one for 6 strings 1 for 4, and cheaper too..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like the convenience of Kysers on guitar, and you can capo 5 strings on the second fret to get a sort of drop e tuning. I call it "Kyser drop e" tuning and it has given me a couple of songs. I don't capo mandolin, but would probably pick up a Kyser or Shubb if they were a bit cheaper. Just so this does not sound like a testimonial to Kyser, the springs eventually break.
    Johneeaaddgg

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Very rarely use a capo on a mandolin, but if I did, I'd use my banjo capo, as my guitar capoes are kinda huge!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I'll second the idea of a capo for each type of instrument. They needn't be very heavy (see the Shubb lite ). Also, if you have one for each instrument, you never have to remember which case your capo is in. Probably most importantly, the necks of each instrument family are very different. I haven't tried, but I'd imagine it's hard to find one capo that works really well on all of them.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Just thought I'd post an update. I got the Birds of Paradise capo in yesterday, and I've had some time to play with it. First thing, I'll note that unless you practice with this capo quite a bit, it isn't really operable with one hand. This doesn't bother me at all, but if you want to do quick one hand changes in between or during songs then this capo isn't for you.

As mentioned by those that suggested it, the cam really does have a very large travel; it can clamp my thickest mandolin neck (just barely) to thinnest guitar neck. As for practicality of playing, it is totally practical on guitar (who'd of thunk ) and banjo (the overhang didn't get in the way for me at all), but not so much on mandolin (because of the shorter scale length, the overhang was very much in the way). Interestingly enough, despite the fact that the capo is radiused, it fit my flat mandolin fingerboard better than my radiused one (the G strings buzzed a bit on the radiused) — so I'll be getting a standalone mandolin capo, but it's nice to know that if I'm in a bind, the Birds of Paradise capo will at least suffice, even if it is quite impractical.

So to recap:

Works Fine:
    • Guitar
    • Bass Guitar
    • Banjo
    Octave Mandolin*
    Mandocello*

Works but Impractical
    • Mandolin
    Mandola*
    Ukulele*

* postulatory

Also a big thumbs up to this capo not using a spring; those things always killed my hands.

Since you don't like spring mounted capos, try this one for your mandolin. A bit pricier than the Bird of Paradise, but really delightful to use... similar in that you just apply your desired amount of pressure.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.