Thread: New to the Forum, Have a few questions

Default New to the Forum, Have a few questions

How's it going Ladies & Gents. Im new to the forum, and dont actually own a mandolin.....yet.

I've played guitar off and on for 8-10 years, and have always loved bluegrass. I'm in the market for a good mandolin.

I'm thinking that 700-800 dollars is about where i'm aiming to be.

I'm not a big fan of sunburst. I would prefer blonde or mahogany colored. I dont need fancy frills. I'm only interested in "f" style" no particular reason other than i like them more....

If i go new, I am thinking about the Eastman 315. They look beautiful, and the reviews seem positive on them. I would love to get some opinions on that.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please...I'm open. Looking forward to getting going soon.

Thanks

Default Re: New to the Forum, Have a few questions

How do you know you like the F style better if you have never owned one? "Just because" isn't a very good reason although you don't have to justify any purchase with me. I am just offering advise, it is a big mistake to judge an instrument based on looks....I've bought at least one pretty one over the internet that was a dud(F), an ugly duckling in person that is great(A) and at least one plain one that was good and a great value(F)...that "good" one I mentioned was a Fullerton Gloucester($200) and arguably as good or better than the pretty one that was a 1K custom build. A=all you need F=Fancy , it's hard to get too fancy with a $700-800 piece. The Km900(A)in the classifieds is $800 and might be a good choice. I liked the one I played locally and have heard they are similar to their KM1000(F) counterpart and there's one of those now for $900 if you want to stretch your budget although you might also find something cheaper satisfactory as well. I think I should also note that F models are more complicated to build, if any corners are cut when constructing them it could backfire majorly on the quality of the instrument. There should be some good F's within or under your mentioned price but there might also be some as good or better A's that you might not want to rule out and are an easier construction so less risk in my view...

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    How do you know you like the F style better if you have never owned one? "Just because" isn't a very good reason although you don't have to justify any purchase with me. I am just offering advise, it is a big mistake to judge an instrument based on looks....I've bought at least one pretty one over the internet that was a dud(F), an ugly duckling in person that is great(A) and at least one plain one that was good and a great value(F)...that "good" one I mentioned was a Fullerton Gloucester($200) and arguably as good or better than the pretty one that was a 1K custom build. A=all you need F=Fancy , it's hard to get too fancy with a $700-800 piece. The Km900(A)in the classifieds is $800 and might be a good choice. I liked the one I played locally and have heard they are similar to their KM1000(F) counterpart and there's one of those now for $900 if you want to stretch your budget although you might also find something cheaper satisfactory as well. I think I should also note that F models are more complicated to build, if any corners are cut when constructing them it could backfire majorly on the quality of the instrument. There should be some good F's within or under your mentioned price but there might also be some as good or better A's that you might not want to rule out and are an easier construction so less risk in my view...
    I understand your point. Im sure the a would do just fine, and i also know from reading & hearing them played that you are simply paying for the scroll. I dont mean to sound shallow (get ready because thats probably exactly what i'm about to do) but I just prefer the look of the "f" style. And if im going to spend money on an instrument, I want to enjoy the way it looks. I know thats not the point of a good instrument necessarily.....but what ya gonna do...

People have their opinions, but...you might want to reconsider for that Kentucky KM900 in the Classifieds. You will not find a better mandolin for $800. They are professional level mandolins in every respect. If you must have a F model, you'll probably be looking at a Eastman or The Loar, or lower level Kentucky's. Be careful where you buy it from. Set up of a mandolin is the most important consideration when buying new. If you buy from one of the Cafe sponsors, such as The Mandolin Store or Folk Musician, they have a terrific reputation for superb set up. Dennis at the Mandolin Store or Robert from Folk Musician can help you find what you are looking for within your budget. They have well-deserved reputation for customer service. Good luck with your search and welcome to the Cafe.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Eastman 315's a nice instrument. You're not "going wrong." There is a reason that the F-model silhouette, with its acoustically irrelevant (at least that's the conventional wisdom) scroll and points, has persisted. People like it. Nothing wrong with that, if you understand, as you apparently do, that you're paying an extra premium for "decor," and that an A-model generally offers more bang for the buck.

Two pieces of advice I would add: try as many instruments as you can get your hands on, even ones you can't afford, just to get an idea of what your personal preferences are. If you can't play 'em, take a mandolinist friend along as "tester." Second, get a good pro set-up, either from a dealer who provides one, or from a local shop if you end up buying "out of the box." Unlike guitar (mostly), mandolin's very sensitive to good vs. not-so-good set-ups.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    People have their opinions, but...you might want to reconsider for that Kentucky KM900 in the Classifieds. You will not find a better mandolin for $800. They are professional level mandolins in every respect. If you must have a F model, you'll probably be looking at a Eastman or The Loar, or lower level Kentucky's. Be careful where you buy it from. Set up of a mandolin is the most important consideration when buying new. If you buy from one of the Cafe sponsors, such as The Mandolin Store or Folk Musician, they have a terrific reputation for superb set up. Dennis at the Mandolin Store or Robert from Folk Musician can help you find what you are looking for within your budget. They have well-deserved reputation for customer service. Good luck with your search and welcome to the Cafe.
    Thanks...I've already been emailing back and forth with the mandolin store about the eastman 315, but i am open to other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Eastman 315's a nice instrument. You're not "going wrong." There is a reason that the F-model silhouette, with its acoustically irrelevant (at least that's the conventional wisdom) scroll and points, has persisted. People like it. Nothing wrong with that, if you understand, as you apparently do, that you're paying an extra premium for "decor," and that an A-model generally offers more bang for the buck.

Two pieces of advice I would add: try as many instruments as you can get your hands on, even ones you can't afford, just to get an idea of what your personal preferences are. If you can't play 'em, take a mandolinist friend along as "tester." Second, get a good pro set-up, either from a dealer who provides one, or from a local shop if you end up buying "out of the box." Unlike guitar (mostly), mandolin's very sensitive to good vs. not-so-good set-ups.
    Unfortunatly for me, I live in an area where the only mandolins you see in the store are johnson & Rogue.....so needless to say, playing a variety of mandolins is out of the question I do plan take advice from others (partly why i joined) and if i do purchase online, it will be from someone with the knowledge & ability to set up the mando properly.