Thread: Banjo string = any string?

Default Banjo string = any string?

A short question. Is there any difference between banjo strings and guitar strings, when they are of equal length and thickness? Apart from loop/ball-end that is.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Banjo string = any string?

There can be differences in the materials used as well, but all things being equal, guitar and banjo (and mandolin and dulcimer) strings are the same. They just package strings sets for convenience and label them accordingly.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Right. Sets are assembled to suit each instruments' tuning requirements, all ready to go. That said, all things not being equal, using banjo strings on a mandolin will make you sound dumber somehow, and using guitar strings on a mandolin will make you sound more popular. Conversely, using mandolin strings on a banjo make you sound hifalutin', and using mandolin strings on a guitar make you fade into the background. No one has been able to determine why this is; it just is.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Destroyer of Mandolins

A good example is my Ovation mandolin. Since it uses ball end strings, when you open the package you're actualy holding Adamas brand guitar strings, just gathered into the right number and gauges for the mandolin. You even have to cut a LOT off because they don't trim them to mandolin size, just stick them in a package that says 'mandolin' on it. Once you have them on and trimmed to size, you get mistaken for a ukulele player and fade into the background even among other mandolinists. Whether or not you gain any IQ points is questionable.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I use octave mandolin strings on my Irish tenor banjo. They're the right length, loop ends, the right thickness, and I get two sets in one package.

Anne.
    A "Not Ready for Prime Time" player

Quote Originally Posted by TijnBerends View Post
    A short question. Is there any difference between banjo strings and guitar strings, when they are of equal length and thickness? Apart from loop/ball-end that is.
    Yes, lots of difference among wound strings, if you desire. Many guitarists prefer phosphor-bronze wound for their brightness and volume. On some of my guitars I like a less bright white-bronze. On my parlor guitars I use a "silk & steel" for a much mellower tone. The banjo sets I use for frailing (open-back) are nickel wound--again, less bright than bronze. More varieties are commonly available--such as 80/20 combinations, various coatings, etc.--requires experimentation to see what you like on your instrument--they all sound different, so you must let your ear decide

Destroyer of Mandolins

Cat brings up the other interpretation of the question. While a 40" long, 0.023" diameter, round wound, 80/20 phosphor bronze, loop-end string can go a lot of places, whether you want it there or not is another thing entirely.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Using Martin strings on a plywood top $30 Chinese guitar WON'T make you sound like a rich guy, however.....

Destroyer of Mandolins

No, for that you need Thomastik Infelds.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

plain steel, just say how thick.. ball ends can be broken out to be loop end.

Loop ends , you can add a ball if needed , glued in, it will stay once up to tension..

it's the winding stuff that differs on the others ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture