Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ragtime

Default Ragtime

Hi just got the CD Mandolins at the Cake Walk and i love the music its a good speed for me , not to fast and not to slow, also i just found a book through Elderly Instruments Ragtime for Mandolins and violins and i am looking forward to getting that .
    Never thought about ragtime all these years although i have always loved Vadville and that music of that era seems like good times.
    steven shelton

Default Re: Ragtime

I have the Ragtime for Mandolin and Violin book. Excellent work, with both country rags and some adaptations from piano rags.
    I'm big on Ragtime music and it is a natural for the mandolin. Here's a couple of my favorite YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpy4j...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1l5P...eature=related

Both of these transcriptions are included in the Ragtime for Mandolin book, along with many more.

Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

A reminder for those who live in the Midwest, the annual Scott Joplin ragtime festival in Sedalia, Mo., is June 6 - 9. Mostly piano music, but also some string band groups. Worth a trip if you're within driving distance.

6. The following members say thank you to Pete Summers for this post:

Unhappy Re: Ragtime

Next Saturday the Old 78s will be performing free in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. Rag monsters. Mostly fiddle and banjo, they'll have some friends along and may have a mandolin in the mix. If you're into rags, you must check 'em out. Sadly, I cannot be there.
    Mike Snyder

8. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Sleet 

I think i will just play ragtime seems like a good fit for me ,funny how old can become new again and i guess that includes me, i saved the youtube videos to my favorites much thanks.
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

Ragtime is a real hoot to play. Once I got that rhythm under my fingers I was off and running.

You may want to check out this thread for music.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...time-Resources
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm listing to the Ragtime Skedaddlers' 'Mandolins at the Cake Walk' right now. It's magnificent. That's what I call syncopated heaven. Highly recommended.
    Cary Fagan

I think that is what caught my attention was the rhythms and it's just fun music , i have always loved music that has some history of dance connected to it ,for me it has been eastern european music and this is a natural progression to ragtime for me, i have got to look up the history of ragtime and where it came from might be no connection don't know.
    steven shelton

Hi just read a short history of ragtime and it is very american like jazz ,kind of like that because its very us.
    steven shelton

Mandolin got me into tenor banjo. And now my favorite stuff to perfrom is Jelly Roll Morton, Joplin, and a bunch of popular rags on tenor banjo. Great American music. And a great teadiiton--banjo in ragtime

Well i got the music in the mail yesterday (Ragtime for Fiddle and Mandolin) and today i am starting to enter ragtime heaven, i have told myself that i will learn each and everyone of these tunes from cover to cover so i have a lot of lernun to do and that is going to be so much fun.
    steven shelton

The new CD by the Ragtime Skedaddlers, Mandolins at the Cake Walk, is now available for download at http://ragtimeskedaddlers.bandcamp.com/. There's 3 free tracks, the rest are $1 each or $10 to download the whole album. For a bit more you get the physical CD with an 8-page full-color booklet with notes on the tunes, their composers, and the arrangements. Many ways to enjoy ragtime mandolins!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cd_cover_smaller_file_size.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	86800

Ragtime is great fun on mandolin or tenor guitar! Here are a few I tried a while ago:

Whistling Rufus (on resonator tenor guitar)

Whistling Rufus (on Mid-Mo mandolin)

The Entertainer (on bowlback mandolin)

Martin

Ragtime is an all around fun time with any instrument but for me its the mando but i bet it would sound great with a claranet and mando and guitar and bandolyn .
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmando View Post
    Ragtime is an all around fun time with any instrument

Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Great video as i say all around good time.
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

Because ragtime tunes are often a little more intricate and "notey" than other music, there is attendancy for them to become show-off tunes, where the tune is played super fast.

For me this destroys the whole ragtime feeling. It can be an impressive demonstration of dexterity, but it loses musicality. A moderately fast tempo, so that the tune is not pokey, but not so fast that the syncopation cant be felt.

I know a group that plays Spaghetti Rag. But they play it as a gag, increasing the speed with each time and in the end it sounds like a wind up toy. Its terrible IMO. Spaghetti Rag is wonderful just played correctly, it needs no hamming up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

22. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

And time is everything (in music)

I tend to play some of these common "raggy" fiddle tunes on the fiddle pretty quick--but with tenor banjo and guitar I have a much more "pianistic" approach and I always keep the tempo right in there...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Because ragtime tunes are often a little more intricate and "notey" than other music, there is attendancy for them to become show-off tunes, where the tune is played super fast.

For me this destroys the whole ragtime feeling. It can be an impressive demonstration of dexterity, but it loses musicality. A moderately fast tempo, so that the tune is not pokey, but not so fast that the syncopation cant be felt.

I know a group that plays Spaghetti Rag. But they play it as a gag, increasing the speed with each time and in the end it sounds like a wind up toy. Its terrible IMO. Spaghetti Rag is wonderful just played correctly, it needs no hamming up.
    +1 for slowing most ragtime down. Played too fast, it loses the syncopated effect, a truism that Scott Joplin tried to hammer into piano players' heads with the note, "Do not play this piece fast. It is never right to play Ragtime fast" on the sheet music of each of his published rags. Pretty much in vain, though.

Some rags hold up better to higher speeds, like the more folksy tunes such as Dill Pickles, Black and White Rag, and many of the "country" rags like the Beaumont Rag, but the Joplin classical stuff is killed by show-off speed players, IMO. The exception might be the Maple Leaf Rag, which is usually played too fast by the pros, but it still holds together due to it's banjo roll type syncopation.

There is, though, a silly kind of sub-genre of ragtime called "honky tonk" in which speed and a barroom tin pan sound played at breakneck speeds is the goal, with no consideration of the subtle lilt of real ragtime. This music is usually played on rigged pianos with tacks in the hammers, and was pretty popular in the 1950s. Johnny Maddox and Crazy Otto come to mind, along with Joe "Fingers" Carr, Big Tiny Little and Joanne Castle. This stuff can also be fun, but it pales in comparsion to the bitter-sweet nostalgia of the classic rags of Joplin, Scott, Lamb and the other Missouri Valley ragtime writers, IMO.

25. The following members say thank you to Pete Summers for this post:

I think this may emanate from the fact that urbane "ragtime" evolved from dance-tempo like cakewalk, quadrille and what not. When dealing with "dance"-derived repertoire, tempo is always crucial (IMO) and the standard tunes like MLR and all that Pete mentions--tend to be played faster perhaps for the reason they are so prevelent? I don't know. But, I sometimes play MLR and The Entertainer in this faster tempo too...but I also play them slower. They sound better slower, IMO

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=catmandu2;1055100]I think this may emanate from the fact that urbane "ragtime" evolved from dance-tempo like cakewalk, quadrille and what not. When dealing with "dance"-derived repertoire, tempo is always crucial (IMO) and the standard tunes like MLR and all that Pete mentions--tend to be played faster perhaps for the reason they are so prevelent? I don't know. But, I sometimes play MLR and The Entertainer in this faster tempo too...but I also play them slower. They sound better slower, IMO[/QUOT

I just ordered my Ragtime book also. I can hardly wait to turn a new page.

I think what I meant to say there was, I think maybe because of the relative "popularity"--and all that this may imply--of these well known pieces that they tend to be sped up. They may be used as a feature piece, standard part of the repertoire, played frequently, elicit audience expectation, etc.

There's probably no dearth of literature on this in music books dealing with performance and psychology

**oops, wrong thread...was thinking about the "Timing is Everything" thread that coincidentally came up right after I saw Jeff's post above

Mandolin Cafe friends:
    Here's a gift from the Ragtime Skedaddlers!

Two by Uncle Charlie, a free downloadable 2-track album, is available at:

http://ragtimeskedaddlers.bandcamp.c...-uncle-charlie

Two by Uncle Charlie was recorded live at the Nan Bostick Tribute Show at the 2012 West Coast Ragtime Festival. A stellar group of musicians played tunes by Nan, and several by her celebrated grand-uncle Charles N. Daniels, a.k.a. Neil Moret. We chose two tunes by Neil Moret as our contribution to the show: Dolores (published in1902), a melancholy number that reflects our feelings about the loss of our friend Nan, and Silver Heels (1905), a frisky and somewhat humorous number that reminds us of how much fun Nan was to be around. Nan usually referred to Charles N. Daniels as "Uncle Charlie", hence the album's title. We hope you enjoy it.

Thanks to all our families, friends, and fans for your support during 2012, and best wishes to all for 2013!

The Ragtime Skedaddlers
    Nick Robinson, Dennis Pash, and Dave Krinkel

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nrobinso For This Useful Post: