Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looper Pedal/Stations

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looper Pedal/Stations

Have the RC30, have used the XLR. Has phantom power, was able to use my AT Pro37 fine ... having a condenser quickly led to various hand percussion.

Like with recording, if you're building a track start from rhythm and bass. I got a lot of learning building 'full band' tracks.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

A correction to an earlier statement: the Digitech Jamman Stereo also has the XLR input, although there's no phantom power. This seems pretty equivalent to the RC30. Slightly different peripheral features - the Jamman loops in reverse, the RC30 has some built-in effects. Just have to read more reviews...

Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger. I ordered the Digitech Jamman Stereo, and it arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to play with lots of the features, but the basic looper function works quite nicely. One criticism in review is the foot buttons, but I find these easy to use, and they're not as loud as some people said.

The pedal does have one flaw though - when I hit "Record", I immediately and totally forget how to play whatever it is I was going to. Happens often with my camera while making videos as well. At least with the camera I can blame the red light it shoots out directly at my head...

LOL, I hear ya. Once you get over that you have to deal with getting your foot timing spot-on. Loopers don't tend to be very forgiving in that regard.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

OK CelticDude ... you're coming up two-weeks with your new toy. Any chance you'll send us a review of the Jamman?

I'm wanting a looper for my set-up, and the Jamman Stereo is my #1 right now, so any comments you might offer would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- MG

Hey MG,

I can certainly give you some first impressions:

- The looping works well, and is pretty intuitive. A quick look at the Quick Start pages, and you're off.

- The Jamman is fairly transparent. A bit of hiss as you crank the instrument playing over the recorded loop, which may be coming from the distortion pedal as much as from the Jamman. The loop itself is quite quiet.

- Saving a loop is also easy.

- Not quite sure I get how to move from one loop to another. Sometimes the Up/Down pedals work, sometimes not. I'm betting it's a case of when all else fails, read the manual...

- Some reviews complained about the pedals being stiff and noisy. They are not stiff, at least on mine. They respond nicely when you step on them. They are slightly noisier than, say, the pedals on a Digitech multi-effects pedal (my son has one), but no noisier than a standard pedal.

In short, I'm liking the pedal, and it's really helping me in my practice. It does take a few times to get the loop right so that the end and beginning flow seamlessly, but this would be true on any looper. It is also totally unforgiving; I got what I thought was a pretty good blues chord progression down, then jammed over it. You can tell exactly where you hesitate, or aren't strumming evenly, or are otherwise not perfect. Humbling, but also good to know. I'm guessing the pedal probably even has a built-in metronome. It does have some different rhythms.

I'll report some more as I play with it. I believe that you can record something and play it back just once. I'll try this with a Song A Week tune, and let you know.

CD

Thanks CelticDude,
    I pulled the trigger on one morning, so I'll add-on to this thread once it arrives and I've digested it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    - Not quite sure I get how to move from one loop to another. Sometimes the Up/Down pedals work, sometimes not. I'm betting it's a case of when all else fails, read the manual...
    Funny, I downloaded the PDF manual and have read it through completely. However, it does not discuss switching loops UP or DOWN during performance. But I watched an online video of the FABE attachment gizmo, and that gentleman had no difficulties switching between saved loops, back and forth.

I plan to hook up an SM57 to the JamMan, and feed its output to a small Hartke bass combo. I'll likely have little to no dry signal passing through, so the amp will act as a "sideman" to my acoustic playing. This all will be inside my practice room. I don't plan to perform with a looper, but it's not out of the question either, so the switching aspect is something I hope to get down smoothly.

I'll report back!

- MG
    Last edited by Michael H Geimer; Jun-15-2012 at 10:53am.