Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return of MAS? HELP!

Default Re: Return of MAS? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Tried to cure GAS once by buying a pre-war Martin. I took it home to show my wife, then the war started!
    This scenario is described repeatedly in different "MAS" threads, and every now and then I experience a bit of frustration. I can see one's spouse taking exception to an instrument purchase, if it meant skipping a mortgage payment, depriving li'l Skippy of orthodontia, forcing the sale of appliances or furniture, or canceling that Riviera vacation and substituting a week at Lake Scummy.

Other than that, are so many domestic situations so adversarial, that when Dad (or Mom!) brings home that Weber Yellowstone or Martin 000-18, "war" breaks out, lawyers are called, punches are thrown, etc. etc.? If there's enough of a financial surplus to allow purchase of the instrument, if both spouses trust each other not to be total irresponsible idiots, if both parties wish all family members to enjoy a modicum of happiness in their avocations as well as their vocations, then why are we talking "war," or "my wife won't stand for it," or "I have to sneak the mandolin in, hide it behind the freezer, and, if discovered, say 'What? A new mandolin? Of course not, dearest...'"?

I mean, we're grown-ups, right? And we're not talking about robbing the family piggy-bank to buy reefer, play the ponies, or take a flier on that Nigerian inheritance offer. It's no more irresponsible to buy a quality musical instrument, than to buy a new couch when you already have a serviceable if shabby one, or to upgrade your stove to a self-cleaning model so no one needs to zone out on Easy-Off fumes.

If you have $1K+ in discretionary funds available, go buy that National RM-1; if not, you can buy the Recording King, or sock away what you've got and add to it until the National's affordable. "MAS" aside, a well-researched and non-extravagant instrument purchase should be totally defensible, and not grounds for divorce. If it's that contentious, well, maybe it's not the real issue...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

"what! another one?!"
    "no honey, look - it's the same case."

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    This scenario is described repeatedly in different "MAS" threads, and every now and then I experience a bit of frustration. I can see one's spouse taking exception to an instrument purchase, if it meant skipping a mortgage payment, depriving li'l Skippy of orthodontia, forcing the sale of appliances or furniture, or canceling that Riviera vacation and substituting a week at Lake Scummy.

Other than that, are so many domestic situations so adversarial, that when Dad (or Mom!) brings home that Weber Yellowstone or Martin 000-18, "war" breaks out, lawyers are called, punches are thrown, etc. etc.? If there's enough of a financial surplus to allow purchase of the instrument, if both spouses trust each other not to be total irresponsible idiots, if both parties wish all family members to enjoy a modicum of happiness in their avocations as well as their vocations, then why are we talking "war," or "my wife won't stand for it," or "I have to sneak the mandolin in, hide it behind the freezer, and, if discovered, say 'What? A new mandolin? Of course not, dearest...'"?

I mean, we're grown-ups, right? And we're not talking about robbing the family piggy-bank to buy reefer, play the ponies, or take a flier on that Nigerian inheritance offer. It's no more irresponsible to buy a quality musical instrument, than to buy a new couch when you already have a serviceable if shabby one, or to upgrade your stove to a self-cleaning model so no one needs to zone out on Easy-Off fumes.

If you have $1K+ in discretionary funds available, go buy that National RM-1; if not, you can buy the Recording King, or sock away what you've got and add to it until the National's affordable. "MAS" aside, a well-researched and non-extravagant instrument purchase should be totally defensible, and not grounds for divorce. If it's that contentious, well, maybe it's not the real issue...?
    Amen Brother!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Buy the thing, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

My pre-war Martin refference was a joke of course. I've been married to a very understanding wife for 39 years. I try to keep my collection under control and not go for volume of instruments. Honesty is always the best policy in a relationship, especially when it comes to spending money. Got to go now and look as the classifieds!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I've been sort of sitting on the sidelines and reading & appreciating your responses.

My wife has been more than understanding over the years, and probably beyond what would be considered reasonable by most spouses of musicians. I play 9 instruments so she's endured a lot!

I should say that one of the reasons that I'm attracted to the Recording King is it's volume. Because I'm deaf in my right ear, and have a severe hearing loss in my left ear, I find the possibility of actually being able to hear what I play clearly very appealing! Though I've played professionally in this state, it's gotten to the point that I can no longer play with other musicians, even 1 acoustic guitar. Hearing aids are a pain because I have very narrow ear canals.

Which is louder, the RM-1 or Recording King?

Anyway, I play solo all the time and it's forced me to be a better musician. Picture if you will, me playing Bill Monroe instrumentals solo at a Salvation Army Kettle or for the Milwaukee Rescue Mission and that's me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006..jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	86158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user17513_pic4619_1262557372.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	86159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4228..jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	86160  

I've been there too. I ended up getting a Republic B-stock which was hardly even a bump in the road of MAS at $250. I don't regret it either, because I mainly play mandolin and only break out the resonator for a different sound to change things up. Also, you can't beat it for a camping instrument. Personally, I do like it's tone. It sounds metalic, but sweet and mellow. Anyway, here's a few videos of it that I made for the Song of the Week Group. Have fun with whatever you settle on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtoHdpWlOs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9D8K...ess/stones-rag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhjL-EBOfs

Blog Entries

Marcelyn: Your playing is always so great, and your touch on that resonator gives a wonderful dark feeling to the tone. Great stuff!

Jim, I absolutely LOVE your "pre-war MAS joke" and I will be stealing it, often!

I'm loving this thread, as I'm sure that I'll eventually get a resonator tenor guitar now that I'm GDAE tenor guitar obsessed.

Finally, as I've said in these forums before, my wonderful wife is a great enabler of my IAS, as she feels that I'm so much of a "hermit/monk" otherwise, almost never spending money on myself. Lucky me!

Life is short. Get the instrument(s) you want.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thanks Ed. I love your MAS philosophy by the way. Personally, I have the best of all worlds--a husband who encourages me to get what I like and one who somehow is genuinely content with one instrument. Go figure.