Thread: Thumb Pain

When playing songs on the mando I get a pain in my left thumb (I play right-handed mandolin). Maybe I'm holding the mandolin wrong or something, I don't know, pressing my thumb against the neck while playing (as support for the neck). I'm a self-taught player since we don't have many mandolinists here in Sweden, so some tips from you guys/gals would be great!
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

I have had a slew of problems like yours and been to multiple doctors about it. My humble advice is:

1. See a doctor, have it checked out, just to eliminate the possibility that it's something more serious.

2. Realize that outside of "something more serious" nearly all hand pain is caused by too much tension. A contributing factor may be poor technique. Good technique should require less tension. You have to concentrate at first to get your tension down and make it a habit pattern. Keep using less tension until you just can't get the notes to sound right any more and then add a wee bit back in. A good instructor should be able to help, even if it is only for one or two lessons.

3. Do a systematic set of warm ups and stretches before playing. I have had dramatic results with this. The more disciplined I am about doing them, the fewer problems I have. I like the stretches on musicianshealth.com, followed by some light warmup playing.

I'm trying not to put to mush tension on the strings with my fingers. Here in Sweden as I said we don't have much mandolins, and the fact is I've only played about two different mandolins in my whole life, mine and one similar at a store. I realized that the other one was easier to play, less tension etc. So maybe my instrument is just plain bad, I don't know really. Well, it is bad since the frets aren't correct and stuff like that, but now I'm also talking about string tension and stuff like that.
    I'm thinking of buying a new, better one (the one I have I bought from an old lady for about 60$). Mine is an old school model I think. A flattop with oval soundhole, can't get no chop out of it since it's not carved. I don't play in any bluegrass-band, but it's still nice to be able to chop once in a while...
    Thanks for the tips!
    Check out www.myspace.com/snortingmaradonas for a Swedish punk band where I play emando

Practice a bit each day just barely touching the strings with the left hand while having the thumb pulled away from the neck. #Play a tune VERY SLOWLY this way, not getting the notes, just barely touching. #This will train you to feel how much pressure is in your left hand. #Keep aware of the pressure when you return to normal playing, taking out the excess.

Also, look to see if the action height is too high. #It is one way of pressing to hard. #If done by a quality repairman, the action can be very low and still get plenty of power if you have a good instrument.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

If you have pain while playing STOP NOW. I know too many folks who tried to play through pain that became permanently injured, most will never play again. Don't do this!!!!!

Get to a Performing Arts doc. Also look up "Musicians and Injuries" on the web.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music