Thread: Eastman 805 Prototype

3 months ago I purchased the mandolin shown below. I was told it was an Eatman 805, and among the first made. The headstock is different than the other Eatmans I have seen and it bears other cosmetic differences. I liked the tone and look so I bought it. Circumstances have forced me to sell. I do not wish to mislead a buyer in any way so I was hoping someone, perhaps Gordon, could tell me if it is, in fact, an early model Eatman, or just a really nice no label mandolin that was passed of as a Eastman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	805A1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	5517  
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Another pic, hope it helps.

Name:	805A2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	5518  

I also recently purchased an 805 Prototype. The difference I see is that mine has the fretboard extention. It also was the inside paper stating "Eastman Mandolins, Model 805,Anno 20 04, Serial Number: 59(2), Handmade in the workshop of Eastman Strings, Beijing, China". I bought it from Buffalo Brothers about 3 weeks ago. It is a great sounding mandolin for the money.

Is there a 59(1) and how many more prototypes where there before the production run?

Attached are some photos.

Name:	Eastman_805_A_dbl1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	5520  
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Looks like the photos attached too dark. I'll see if I can shoot with better lighting, I just used the on camera flash so as to post quickly. My tailpiece and tuners are nickle. Dwc's look gold. The headstock is the same design. I also havef hole triple binding. I can't tell if dwc's is the same? I have the cremora sunburst, while dwc's looks like the classic.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

I don't have a label. I don't know if one was never put on, perhaps it was removed, or perhaps I have something completely different. There is no binding on the F holes. I believe it does have the same headstock as the early protypes and the tailpiece appears right. If its not an Eastman someone went to a good deal of trouble as it did come in an Eastman case and sounds very good. I have to say that I have no reason to believe that the person who sold me the instrument was disingenuous, perhaps incorrect, but if so, I believe it was an unitentional mistake. However, I don't feel comfortable listing it until I am sure of its lineage.

It's definitely one of the early Eastman's with the snakehead (I think there were perhaps 5 made like this). I have no idea why it has no label in it, it must have been really early. If you need me to verify this in some other fashion in order that you can make the sale I will be more than delighted to help out.
    Gordon

Thank you Gordon, I appreciate your input. #I am glad to now know what it is. #I think the person who sold it to me may have peeled off the label and stuck his own store label on in its sted, but that is really okay because, #upon further review, I have decided to keep it.