Thread: Nmd!

Default Nmd!

I know its a touchy deal when american brands get used overseas but this isn't about that. I stumbled into a local shop just goofin' off. hanging on the wall was a "The Flatiron" . Now I'm smart enough to know that its not a USA mandolin, but what the heck. I pull it down and start noodling about. The shop owner comes over and tells me he will make a killer deal on it if I want it.

I'm always ready for a deal!!!! he comes back with a stupid low number. I look at the label and its an 07 model, 002 production number.

to good to pass up. I had to tweak the neck, lower the bridge, lower the nut a hair and put on new strings, 7 year old strings are so bad.

It's not a USA mandolin, but, it now plays very nice, has a sweet tone, very even from string to string. Fit and finish are as good as any eastman or kentucky I've played. for what it is, I'm happy. Its not crazy loud but has a nice sound.

on to the photos

Default Re: Nmd!

Nice score, it looks really nice.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

What year did Gibson start thinking about reviving the Flatiron name with an imported line? Could this be one of the early models related to that decision, or something else entirely?

And I'm just not smart enough to figure out what the thread name means.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

New Mandolin Day?

Maybe we can add it to the wiki!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMD

It can't be anymore obscure than number two on the list.

Nice looking mando there. Congrats!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I did not think they had started building the imported Flatirons yet in 2007 but I certainly don't claim to know for sure as time passes awfully fast anymore. However I don't see how a mandolin from 2007 can have 7 year old strings on it in 2012?
    Bill Snyder

Less than 5 bills with the case!
    About a hour in set up. Im pleased for sure. I don't know if it was a 1 year or 2 year deal. But I'm 90% sure 07 was the first year.

Sure enough. I did a bit of searching and it was that long ago. Time goes by too fast.
    Bill Snyder

Aggie math, 5 years sorry.
    Yeah new mandolin day. It did have a MIC sticker on the back of the neck. I'll send epiphone an email and ask. Sure don't see many of them do ya?

Kirk

Handsome looking instrument, no matter where it was made - and a great price. Well done.

rm

Spoke to a guy at Gibson CS. He said they only have record of manufacturing in 2008. But we may have made them a year or two either way. No idea how many where made.
    He also said that these Flatirons where a blur between Gibson and Epiphone mandolins.

If any body else has one of these I'd love to here about it, compare dates and such.

A real fountain of wisdom that guy.

Kirk