Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raphael Ciani bowlback - setup/repair in NJ?

Just wanted to say thanks again to all the folks who shared their knowledge with me in re the Ciani bowlback. #This board truly is a wonderful resource. #I've been lurking around, reading messages about mandolins in general and bowlbacks in particular, and have learned quite a bit - especially how to hold onto the slippery thing. #(I'd already figured out the rubberized shelf liner trick but will hit the auto supply store to upgrade to a chammy.)

vkioulaphides, you would be disappointed if I showed up to play, because I am such a rank beginner that I can barely get through two scales without lots of problems. #But since it takes you guys thirteen months to get together, maybe the time after next I will be in better shape!

Take care & have a great New Year,
    Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

Sara-
    I don't know where you are in NJ, but if you are closer to Philly than NYC, you could consider Fred Oster at Vintage Instruments.

Re: playing... stick with it....mandolin is a really fun and versatile instrument...rather addictive as you might tell from the number of us who spend a lot of time discussing it when we're not playing!

I had a Weymann bowlback that I sold to a friend a while back because I just couldn't master the holding of the thing, as much as I enjoyed its sound and beauty. I will always be a member of the Noble Order in spirit...

*(-;

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Happy New Year, Sara!

First things first: Please just call me Victor. Second: once you cross your right leg over the left one, and sit the little critter on your lap and against your body, it really has no wish OR way to slip away from such a loving grip! It's just a matter of finding the right angles; after that, comfort is forever.

As for being a beginner, well... some of us (yours truly included) are PERPETUAL beginners, despite the many years we may have been playing. So, you are hardly far behind...

Do keep playing, enjoying, and try to get together with fellow members of the Noble Order A.S.A.P.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Oops! #I just saw that there were a few more posts here ...

Thanks for the kind words, Victor. #I'm having lots of fun with my mandolin, even if I'm not very good. #(That's #being honest, not modest. #I saw the cat put her ears back and leave the room when I started to play today!)

KE, thanks so much for the tip in re Fred Oster in Philadelphia. #That would actually be a little closer to me. #I see via Google that he is the stringed instruments expert for Antiques Road Show on PBS. #Cool!

Take care,
    Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

...And I believe that Fred's significant other is one of the rare fans of bowlback mandolins. That's partly why he offers such a respectable stock regarding our wee instrument.