Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raphael Ciani bowlback - setup/repair in NJ?

Hi group,

I found a bowlback mandolin in the attic of an old family house I am cleaning out. #Here's the contents of the label:

A. Galiano
    Raphael Ciani
    Fabbricante di Mandolini e Chitarri
    Garentite

There's a mark that looks like a Masonic symbol between "Raphael" and "Ciani."

I wasn't sure what I had hold of, but was intrigued with the idea of playing a stringed instrument so I brought it home and took it to a local music shop. #The guy there set it up and put light Martin strings on it. #He said the neck was straight and it was in good shape, considering the decades it had spent in the attic, where it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The G strings are giving me some trouble. #When I tune them to an open G, the notes up the neck get progressively sharper. #But if I tune them to a higher note, e.g. if I tune the fretted D on the G string to the open D on the D string, the notes below it are off. #I am just a beginner and am probably not using the right terms, so I hope you can figure out what I mean. #Additionally the G strings seem kind of sloppy and buzzy, but as I am just learning maybe that's "user error."

I'd much appreciate it if anyone could recommend someone who could repair it, in NJ or the surrounding area (Philly, New York City). #The local music shops here mostly deal with guitars. #I've researched the maker a little bit on these boards and on the net and have gathered that this instrument might be of pretty decent quality, so I'd like to take it to someone who specializes in mandolins.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

Ciani was related -- I think Uncle -- to the famed guitar maker John D'Angelico. It is probaby a nice instrument tho the value of it would depend on the condition and the ornamentation.

I would love to see some photos of this instrument. I have mostly seen flatback mandolins and guitars by this maker.

I would take it to Tom Crandall at Matt Umanov or Bob Jones in Brooklyn. Tom is one of the best in the city and has a lot of experience with bowlbacks. Bob is also very experienced and well-respected.

Tom C at Umanov: 212-675-2157
    Bob Jones: 718-965-6786

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I concur with Jim...and am also pining for images. #Some Ciani mandolins were very nice with a very high quality of decor and extended fingerboards to span the soundhole for virtuoso use.

Your intonation issue may be no more problematic than an improperly positioned bridge. #The harmonic at the 12th fret should equal the fretted note. #A fretted note that's sharp will require the bridge to be slid back towards the tailpiece. #I have this same problem with some of my old mandolins, but the bridge should remain as close to perpendicular to the line of symmetry as possible. #A little intonation compromise amongst strings will be necessary (not all strings will intonate perfectly across a fretted fingerboard given its rough approximation of equal temperament).

I would probably recommend you take the Martin lights off this piece in favor of something even a little lighter. #Even the Martin lights are a bit heavier than the strings for which this was built. #I like Dogal's "Calace" carbon steel, "dolce" gauge RW-92b. #They are available by mail order from Classic Bows: classicbows@nethere.com, 619-282-2010. #Alternately, string sets by GHS ("Classical"), Dean Markeley, and Ernie Ball to go to 0.009" on e" will do no harm, although the sound is not nearly of the same quality and the longevity is not so long. #Some like Black Diamond's classic set, but the basses are rather thick. #Lenzner makes very high quality, appropriate strings with bronze-wound basses, but they are very difficult to obtain in the US.

Thanks so much, Jim and Eugene! I am printing out your messages; I'll get on the phone to the men you recommended after the Christmas madness is over.

And I am more than happy to supply a few pictures of my baby. I think it might be a humbler little sister of the ornate ones you mentioned, but it's kind of cute anyway.

Here goes ... full body shot:

The label:

The tuning pegs:

Apparently I can only post 3 images per message, so the rest of the pictures will be in the next message.

Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

More pictures ...

The back (the white spot is flash reflection):

Another shot of the back:

And the bridge. #There might be something wrong here. #The two G strings are separated by a wood spacer, but there are no spacers between the other string pairs:

Aren't digital cameras great? # Let me know if you want any more views.

Thanks so much, and have a happy holiday!

Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

Indeed, a bit more humble, but it still looks to be very neatly crafted and in excellent condition. #You should be proud, Sara, it's beautiful. #Yes, the string spacers have chipped off your bridge. #A skilled luthier could fill the gaps and re-saw the little slots. #Tom Crandall absolutely is my favorite instrument repairman, especially for old mandolins, but be warned that Umanov's shop can be pricey. #Yours sounds to need such trivial work to make it functional that it might even be affordable at Umanov's. #I'd start there, at least for an estimate, and tell Tom that Eugene sent you (that always shakes 'im up).

It is true that Umanov's shop it pricey on repairs but bear in mind that this is New York area where everything is more expensive. Most of the top repair folks charge serious money and the prices have been going up. It does seem like your mandolin needs relatively little in that way, which is good.

It does look like a nice one The only other I have seen was a fancier one that was on eBay a few months ago ( see below).

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	5498  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah yes...

Lovely mandolin, and looks to be in great shape. I hope the intonation issue isn't serious, as there seems little space to move the bridge back towards the cant. My personal taste runs towards plainer instruments anyway, and I find yours more attractive than the one that Jim posted.

If I recall correctly, Ciani was not only the uncle of d'Angelico, but also the shop where the young d'Angelico was apprenticed. Your bowlback reminds me a bit of this early d'Angelico that was discussed here before. The soundhole binding, edge binding, headstock/neck shape and finish and the back of the bowl are very similar; the tuner hardware, tailpiece and scratchplate are completely different. The asking price of that d'Angelico was rather inflated through the illustrious name (it sold in the end for just $280), which won't apply to yours, but yours is nevertheless an instrument with an intriguing lineage and should be well worth looking over by someone with knowledge of bowlbacks. Certainly a cut above the typical attic find!

I agree with Eugene that you should take the Martin lights off, and replace them with Dogal Calace or Lenzner Bronce strings (if you can get hold of them). That in itself may alleviate the problems with the G strings. How high is the action at the 12th fret, i.e. the distance from the underside of the strings to the top of the fret? A high action may also be related to intonation difficulties.

Martin

Thank you so much for the great information about my little mandolin. #I'm so glad I found this board - what a nice bunch of folks you are.

When I first saw the label, I assumed the mandolin was a souvenir of a relative's trip to Italy in the 1950's. #Good thing I didn't put it in a garage sale with a $5 tag on it!

Take care,
    Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

Hi
    You can try Lark Street Music in Teaneck NJ it is on cedar lane ave. I would call first to make sure they can help. It is about 20 min away from George Washington bridge.

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Sara-that is a nice looking instrument. You'll have to talk to some of the fellows in the classical section about joining the Brotherhood of the Bowl.

I hope she treats you well.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (Buckley @ Dec. 21 2004, 13:46)
    You'll have to talk to some of the fellows in the classical section about joining the Brotherhood of the Bowl. #
    It is too late... #she has automatic membership in the Order just by virtue of owning one.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the suggestion, mer. #I found Lark Street Music's web site; I'll give him a call.

John and Jim - do they let girls in the Brotherhood of the Bowl? #

Sara
    Raphael Ciani bowlback

It is not (as far as I know) a "Brotherhood" at all but was carefully named the "Loyal Order of the Bowl" to cater to our universalist leanings. Not an exclusive group -- we like everyone.

You are already enrolled...

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hmmm, I called it the "Noble Order of the Bowl" on my design (link below), as well as acknowledging the "Universal Brother and Sisterhood" aspect. But alas, I am not yet even a member thereof...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by
    It is too late... she has automatic membership in the Order just by virtue of owning one.
    Must the bowlback be in playing condition in order for one to become a member of the Noble/Loyal Order of the Bowl? I have an old Stella that does not sound the best, so I don't try to play it. However, I usually play classical music on my f-style.

This reminds me-you know how they talk about scroll envy and whatnot. Lately, I have been suffering from bowl envy. It must be that Aonzo album I have been listening to lately.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (Buckley @ Dec. 22 2004, 13:32)
    It is too late... #she has automatic membership in the Order just by virtue of owning one.
    Must the bowlback be in playing condition in order for one to become a member of the Noble/Loyal Order of the Bowl? #I have an old Stella that does not sound the best, so I don't try to play it. #However, I usually play classical music on my f-style. #

This reminds me-you know how they talk about scroll envy and whatnot. #Lately, I have been suffering from bowl envy. #It must be that Aonzo album I have been listening to lately.

-John.
    I am not even sure if actual ownership is a prerequisite for membership.

Which Aonzo album are you listeing to?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I am listening to Serenata. I wish I had more like it.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (Buckley @ Dec. 22 2004, 13:32)
    This reminds me-you know how they talk about scroll envy and whatnot. #Lately, I have been suffering from bowl envy...
    Wow. You've got the bug. It won't be long 'til we have you, Buckley.

Wow. You've got the bug. It won't be long 'til we have you, Buckley.
    Yep, pretty soon I will be squirrelling away money, selling things on ebay, selling off books, and saving up to get a playable bowlback. And to think, it all started just by viewing that video clip of Detlef Tewes.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Nice instrument, Sara! May you enjoy it in good health and cheer for many, many years to come!

The intonation issue is, to some extent, systemic: the thicker strings are inherently imperfect. We can alleviate the problem with some slight repositioning of the bridge, moving it down, even slanting it a bit, as suggested above. Also, the bowlback-specific Dogals and Lenzners will certainly get you at least half way where you want to be, intonation-wise.

And yes, girls are indeed most welcome to the Order. In fact, we have been trying to enlist bratsche for a while, now. Linda (username: hrimaly) rejoined the Order in a BIG way recently, with her acquisition of a fine, modern Pandini; the list of bowl-wielding ladies goes on...

As for buckley, he is well on his way in his subconscious apprenticeship and mental preparation. By the way, buckley, if you enjoy Carlo's Serenata, you can get his other CD, entitled Traversata, or his latest one, with him as soloist with the Ligurian Orchestra of picked/plucked instruments; different, of course, but equally beautiful.

I second the praise for Tom Crandall and recommend him heartily. Yes, despite Umanov's steep pricing, your instrument is in such good condition that it would need nothing but the barest, most basic check-up set-up. Tom can do that brilliantly and without taking you to the poorhouse.

Enjoy!

P.S. Having finally, FINALLY managed to get together with Jim, although we live less than an hour apart, hmmm... Sara, we could —I say could— get a bunch of us Tri-Staters together to read some trios, quartets... I can dream, can't I?
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

As for buckley, he is well on his way in his subconscious apprenticeship and mental preparation. By the way, buckley, if you enjoy Carlo's Serenata, you can get his other CD, entitled Traversata, or his latest one, with him as soloist with the Ligurian Orchestra of picked/plucked instruments; different, of course, but equally beautiful.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'll see if I can find a copy locally.

P.S. Having finally, FINALLY managed to get together with Jim, although we live less than an hour apart, hmmm... Sara, we could —I say could— get a bunch of us Tri-Staters together to read some trios, quartets... I can dream, can't I?
    If this ever does happen, please record it for the rest of us.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Well, John, suffice it to say that Jim and I, although we live one county apart, have needed about 13 months to bring this get-together about!

But, why bewail the time it took us? Far more important —and more meaningful— to remember the great time we had!

Eager for more...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I think Steve from acoustic music works may be considering another Lenzner string purchase this coming year. So if interested I'd give him a call. They are the best strings I've had on my Vega so far.
    Sara That is one gorgeous bowl. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.