Thread: Case Lids Causing Scrapes

Default Case Lids Causing Scrapes

Almost all of my cases are TKL (and I like them) but one "fault" with all similar cases occurs when the lid falls shut when the instrument hasn't reached all the way inside. Either the top or bottom part of the latch uses sheet metal that hits the instrument and leaves a scrape. This can happen so easily when the lid shuts by mistake when the mandolin is just part way in.

Do cases exist with latches that don't have sharp exposed components?
    Wye Knot

Default Re: Case Lids Causing Scrapes

Which type of TKL case do you have Lee ?. I use a rectangular TKL for my Lebeda Mandolin & i've never had the lid fall shut on me in 6 years of using it.It opens up & the lid leans back far enough to prevent it falling shut. The top part of the TKL latches have a small metal 'tang' that locates in the bottom part,just to line the 2 parts up so that it shuts correctly.It's most likely that part that could cause any damage,because if you're placing your Mandolin in it's case,you'll have lifted it above the lower part of the case. If your case has a lid restraining cord,check that it's long enough to allow the lid to open up fully,& for it to lean back slightly. If it doesn't then cut it off. The hinges on a TKL are strong enough to support the weight of the lid,as long as it's not 'forced' backward. If the cord is too short,instead of removing it altogether,you could try some way of extending it,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda Special - 2001 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	84428
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The type of case is not the issue, and I'm describing my own mistake. A mistake that other's can do too if the case weren't designed to prevent it.

In your picture shown above the lid has those two metal "teeth" sticking down. If your hand was in the way while the lid falls shut, you'd say "ouch" when the upper lid's tooth tried to break your skin. If your mandolin took the place of your hand, you'd say something different than "ouch" because your mandolin would have a nasty scratch on the top where the metal latches' upper tooth hit it.

Certainly not the latch's fault. I'm wondering if latches exist, or their installment method exists, so that the top or bottom components don't cause a scratch if the lid is mistakenly shut while the mando is part way being taken out or being put back in?
    Wye Knot

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think what would be really helpful would be a lock that you snapped into place when the case lid was all the way open, and required you to hit a release lever to close the case again.

Of course, that would not prevent scrapes on the bottom or top latches if you aren't paying attention and bump into one of them with the instrument.

It's sad that the protective case can also be a hazard.

Larry

been there and ouch! nice little ding on my top......by the dang little i guess you would say guides.
    CC
    2005 Weber Yellowstone Custom F5
    2007 Weber Honey Tortoise F5
    Griggs Custom Brazillian Rosewood Guitar #12

seasea67@gmail.com

Yep I've got a mando that I bought used that has just such a ding. I didn't do it but it arrived to me like that. Weber cases have the exact same "teeth."

Obvious fix that would make this much less likely:
    Make the stap that hold the lid upright when open just an inch longer. There is no good reason why it is just long enough to basically balance the lid between open and closed. Just make that strap a little longer so it stays committed to being open.

I have worried about this as well. For the moment I have a travelite, so there is no real problem there, but on other cases I have worried about it quite a bit. I also worried when taking the instrument in or out, as there are these big teeth hanging down waiting to take a bite out of my instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by robert.najlis View Post
    I have worried about this as well. For the moment I have a travelite, so there is no real problem there, but on other cases I have worried about it quite a bit. I also worried when taking the instrument in or out, as there are these big teeth hanging down waiting to take a bite out of my instrument!
    On my Weber case I covered the center tooth with several layers of electrical tape so it's not bare metal anymore. I was surprised that the electrical tape in no way affected the function of the latch.

Blog Entries

Get a Hiscox case. There are no "teeth" on the lid of the case.

No "teeth" on the Pegasus either.

Quote - "The type of case is not the issue...". No it isn't,it was just that because i'm unfamiliar with any other style of TKL case,that i thought a polite question was in order.
    Bill B. - You're correct on that,but,the bottom part of the latches do stick out a bit when you unlock the case & if you lift the latches upwards,so they don't stick out,they can get in the way if you're not careful. No case is going to be perfect & it's up to us to be careful.The Travelite that i have used to fall shut on me every time i opened it,i cut the restraining cord off - problem solved. I've also managed to use a Banjo case with 'teeth' for close to 50 years without any problems of the lid closing,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've always had this worry and thought perhaps I was being overly protective. I've gotten in the habit of holding the case lid up with my right arm while I nestle my mando inside or take it out for some play time. Gives me a little more peace of mind...
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

I take the same precaution with my arm that Joni describes. After scratching a mandolin years ago, the arm precaution she describes is beneficial to learn.
    For me it's rather mandatory. When learning a new tune I try it on several mandolins, which means they're being taking in & out of their cases rather often.
    Wye Knot

Destroyer of Mandolins

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but I simply put the mandolin in the case while holding the lid open with my other hand. Just the habit I've always had, like latching the case every time the lid is closed, empty or not, and always taking the mandolin out last and putting it away first.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

When I first picked up my mandolin from Larry Hopkins, the man who built it for me, he made a point of showing this potential danger to me in slow motion. Now, every time the mandolin goes in or out of the case, I slow down and do it in slow motion, the way he showed me. I have a habit of staring at that top tooth as I do it--because I am just the type to be oblivious to it otherwise. He said he contacted TKL and suggested a slightly different location for the latch on the headstock side of the case, but all they said was that they don't do custom cases.

-Josh