Thread: Another Martucci

Default Another Martucci

Following my earlier post regarding my Great Grandfathers mandolin another Martucci Mandolin showed up in the Cafe Classifieds ... I was able to negotiate a fair price with the seller and have since handed it over to my luthier for renovation.

A couple of questions with regards to the nut and tailpiece. It appears that there is a rather wide flat spot above the nut, a 1/2" or so - would the nut have been that wide? Or perhaps some sort of 2-piece nut? Also, any idea as to what type of tailpiece cover would belong to the exiting tailpiece?

Thanks, Fred

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4322a.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	84360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4326a.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	84361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4331a.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	84362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4323a.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	84363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4335a.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	84364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4348a.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	84365

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Another Martucci

Nice score, Fred. That looks like a nice once-and future-mandolin. I like these THICK inlays around the tops. Very Italian. Who are you getting to do the restoration work for you?

Do you know if your GGF used zero frets on some of his mandolins? That might take up a bit more space but not necessarily as much as what appears on this one. What is all that glue and crud in photo 6? Were there some repairs in that area? I love multi-staved maple bowls, and this one is a beauty. Please keep us posted as the repairs/restorations mover forward.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick,

Thanks for the kind words. It will need quite a bit of restoration including cleaning up the "crud" left over from a very poor headstock repair. The work will be done by my friend Eric Johansen here in So Cal - he has a great appreciation for these old instruments and his work makes every attempt to respect the design and craftsmanship of the original builder.

I too like the maple bowl and thankfully that is the most well preserved part of the mandolin - no cracks or seperations. I'll keep you posted as work progresses but it will probably be a fairly long process ... 6 months or so.

With regards to a zero fret. I can't be sure but so far there is no indication that my GGF used this configuration, so I thought that perhaps the nut was somehow braced using a wedge.

Name:	MARTNUT.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	84389
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Martucci View Post
    With regards to a zero fret. I can't be sure but so far there is no indication that my GGF used this configuration, so I thought that perhaps the nut was somehow braced using a wedge.
    That is what I thought. On another thread (I can't locate it now) Paul Hostetter posted a nice photo of a zero fret with a wedge but there is no reason to believe that wedges weren't used with standard nuts.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Here 'tis.
    Bill

For convenience sake...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selmerfix05.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	84390  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mr. Martucci,
    Came across this forum and your discussions about your great grandfather's mandolins. As it happens, I inherited one from my mother, who received it from her uncle, Edmundo DeAngelis, who immigrated to Philadelphia in the late 19th century. It is in very good condition, although it is missing some strings and some of the inlay segments around the edge of the bowl.

The label reads: "S. MARTUCCI. Importer and Manufacturer of Italian Mandolins, Mandolas and Guitars, 739 (753 is crossed out in ink) So. Eighth Street, Philadelphia, Pa."

I will attempt to attach some images. If you are interested, I can be contacted at froylance@verizon.net

Name:	photo (33).JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	88679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (34).JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	88680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (35).JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	88681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (36).JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	88682

froylance: that is a nice one. Upper crust in the line with engraved inlays and fluted back. lots of work went into that. Very cool.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hoping froylance will reply, would love to learn more about his beautiful mandolin and if possible he could post some additional pics including a pic of the complete headstock and one of the label.

The changed address is interesting because it may indicate the true birth place of my Grandmother who recalled being born at 8th and Baindbridge, so I assumed that the 753 So. 8th Street was correct. But, my GGF returned to Italy in 1901 with his pregnant and ill wife leaving his three sons in New York. He returned in 1903 with his new born daughter after his wife sadly passed away and reunited his family in New York. He quickly remarried and returned to Philadelphia, perhaps to a new home on 8th Street which would be the reason for the "hand changed" address.

Sorry for the non mando content but am really interested in hearing from froylance.

Thanks, Fred

Just thought I'd toss these in here. Hope you're still around Martucci.

This mandolin was just given to me recently by a 75 year old nun. A wonderful woman whom I just met. She actually left this on my girlfriends front step with a note stating that it had to go to me. Honored I truly am. Tried to give it back and she wouldn't take it.

It was her grandfathers. He came to the US with two other brothers (from Sicily) just before the turn of the century. He resided in PA briefly. She had it restored not to long ago. Tuners are similar to my 24 A Jr. Kind of looks like it used to have a truss rod cover or some sort of decoration in that area too. Beautiful sound, not a quiet one either.

Name:	IMG_6069.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	100632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6033.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	100633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6058.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	100634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6044.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	100635
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Actually, this is kind of weird- the more that I look at this thing, the more it looks like my grandfathers old mandolin in certain ways. A Casella.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1104630
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Actually first look the pickguard resembles those on Weymann mandolins. I think you said your GGF was in Philadelphia and may have had some doings with Weymann, so that would make a lot of sense.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the post. Always nice to see another Martucci mandolin (wish someone would find a guitar or mandola!). What a wonderful story to go along with it, glad its found a good home.

From what I can see of the label it appears to be oval shaped which would indicate an early build, probably around 1895. He eventually opened a shop on 8th street in Philly around 1896 and remained there until 1904 after which he went to work for Weymann.

Congratulations,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Actually first look the pickguard resembles those on Weymann mandolins. I think you said your GGF was in Philadelphia and may have had some doings with Weymann, so that would make a lot of sense.
    Jim,

The pickguard also resembles some that I have seen on Bauer mandolins. In fact, I have seen pictures of a Bauer with the identical pickguard and identical inlayed butterfly as Martucci #1; and a Bauer with the exact pickguard and inlay as Martucci #2. Who knows, perhaps my GGF had some doings with Bauer before Weymann?