Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keys for blues

What are the most common keys in which blues songs are played? When do the blues scales come into play?
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

The common guitar keys: G, D, C. Blues scales are used all the time.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

E and A are the primo guitar keys.

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

i find when i play with others- i wind up in some variation of any of the five listed, though guitar players generally favor E. i tend to go for variations on A or D. but da blues are da blues no matter what key you do em in! as long as your feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelin it!

The blues scale comes into play when you're playing blues.....generally.

As Niles said, guitar players usually play blues in E or A. Sometimes, they'll tune down 1/2 step or a full step and play in "E" while actually in Eb or D.

Rich Delgrosso plays a lot in G blues scale on mandolin. If your guitar-playing buddy wants to play in E shapes, then have him capo up 3 frets.

one thing to consider is...who is singing and what is that person's optimal range. we all have a few keys that will help our voice sound better. that is a good way to choose keys.

Play where the singer wants it, unless you can find a way to "capo" the vocalist. Not likely.

If you must play a lot in E, which seems to be bluesman's favorite, tune your mando down three frets (to EBF#C#, Yank Rachell style) so that your G licks come out in the key of E.

And don't forget your capo -- the bluegrass police don't come around blues jams very often, so you won't get caught.

Scales? Stick with 1-b3-4-5-b7-1 for everything and you can't go too wrong.

Open tunings for slide or strumming? Lots of 'em -- GDGD or AEAE with the 5th on top, ADAD or BEBE with the root on top. GDGB is interesting, too. Don't leave home without your capo for these tunings, either.

What the others are playing .. getting used to Bb after a few weeks of playing along by ear..

on my own Im in C ,#s G D A E, relative minors slip in and out too.

closed movable patterns make transitions to F, Bb, a reasonable task, if thats what Im hearing the others in.

diatonic harmony, maj and minor intervals so as to find suitable partials in any key , harmonizing melody line.

playing with a honkytonk tuned(?) pianist makes accidentals sound purposeful.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Interesting.. My friends and I do blues mostly in G and E. For E, I play use a capo and play in D. When playing guitar, I use 'drop D'. I capo (2) all but the bass E string and play in the key of D to get the sound of E. That allows a 6 string strum for the D chord and I really like the sound. I likes them blues. Jack
    smilnJackB

Ironweed said "If you must play a lot in E, which seems to be bluesman's favorite, tune your mando down three frets (to EBF#C#, Yank Rachell style) so that your G licks come out in the key of E."
    I gave this a try on my National, one of the new ones, that I have strung with the Bush Monels. It actually works out really well. Thought that the strings might play sloppy but the tension is reasonable. John #
    Johnsmusic

I found that "minus 3 frets" tuning to be real comfy on my Johnson reso-mando, partially mitigated by the longer-than-standard scale length. And less down-force on the resonator cone -- due to looser strings -- seems to improve the tone, too.

Tone is no problem on the National. The thing is AWESOME!
    Johnsmusic

A few weeks ago when I first read about the Yank Rachell tuning from another thread I tuned my Johnson beginner mandolin to E-B-F#-C#. I break it out occasionally now for tunes in E. I'm not patient enough to change the tuning on my regular mandolin for blues tunes in E and then re-tune it back again. I works well and even though the Johnson sounded lousy in G-D-A-E it's not too bad with the alternate tuning.
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

"...Capo the vocalist."

A capo: a metal, springloaded or otherwise tensioned clamp applied to an instrument's neck.

Heh, I've met a few singers I've wanted to "capo."

C.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

F and Bb for jazzers

Default Re: Keys for blues

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    What are the most common keys in which blues songs are played? When do the blues scales come into play?
    Well lets see now.......

I woke up this mornin
    look round for my mando
    had that blues feelin
    do re me fa so ........
    la tay doeeeeee

Any key will do, just find that blue note in the scale, it's usually hiding somewhere.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

If you play jazz you'll find Bb and F are common.

(Sorry, I just saw that someone else said the same thing.)

Like A Fine Box Of Wine Big Rig's Avatar

I tend to gravitate to C more than often, such a fun key.

Quote Originally Posted by 250sc View Post
    If you play jazz you'll find Bb and F are common.
    If you play Jazz, you have already played Blues, right? In most cases that is. Take the original creators of Jazz, talented bunch, too talented for simple 12 bar blues, so they took blues and dressed it up, improved it, added to it, improvised it into an uptown position, right? The modern Jazz players do the same, they don't start with Jazz, in most cases. We start with a cotton field blues tune , a lot of those blues are in E, but E is too low on the scale key for dressed up Jazz right? We move it uptown. Most of us... except Ol Sausage, he takes a Waltz and turns it into the blues, ... and then has the audacity to make it sound so good it "moves' you. Musicians are funny aren't they? So, anyway, I have answered the eternal question of "What came first ?, the chicken or the egg??
    Now for the next question,
    When do the blues scales come into play?
    Anytime you need them, like Chubby Wise when he wrote the Bluegrass National Anthem, 'Orange Blossom Special'. He used the 12 bar blues to do it. Sorry about the ramble, I am just improvising a post, jazzing it up so to speak.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Mandolin players are expected to play in all keys. If there's a singer he/she dictates the key - DO NOT ARGUE! If the key is unfamilar, familiarize yourself with it, go home and shed.
    In purely instrumental music, although there really is no such thing as "difficult" keys, each key offers its own possibilities
    (in first position), e.g., F#, B, and E are very good keys for the blues. If you can, minimize those keys that have open string tonics and fifths, i.e., G, D; and A, because these invite finger phrases. By no means reduce to these keys with the aid of a capo, that can be very limiting in the long run (those who conceive of this advice as policing don't understand music). The more keys you master the more you will discover within each key.

Scales? Basically there are two extremes. One is the modal approach, superimposing the blues (or minor penta) scale over just about any chord. The other is the harmonic approach, that treats each chord individually, playing through and around the chord notes, scalewise, arpeggiowise, etc., possibly extending (ninth, thirteenth) or coloring the harmony. How to combine and balance the two approaches and expand on them is for you to explore.

Lots of Mississippi Sheiks stuff in Bb and Eb. All first position!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Schubert View Post

And don't forget your capo -- the bluegrass police don't come around blues jams very often, so you won't get caught.
    We're watching you!
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I just can't concieve using a capo on a mandolin, I dunno. for guitar finger picking stuff, ya I can see it.

I own a capo, though I am not quite sure where it is. I rarely use it. However, I have played blues in every key and on guitar, bass, mandolin, and banjo. It really does not matter what key you use. If there is a vocalist you need to play where they can sing. If it is an instrumental just use the key needed by the guys. Still, if you can play it in one key, you should be able to play in all keys.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    ........, like Chubby Wise when he wrote the Bluegrass National Anthem, 'Orange Blossom Special'. He used the 12 bar blues to do it. ....
    Or maybe Ervin Rouse, <according to most>.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”