Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants of Psychedelic Mandolin?

Blog Entries

Default Giants of Psychedelic Mandolin?

Here is Gibson's list of "10 Giants of Psychedelic Guitar"
    If we made a similar list of "Giants of Psychedelic Mandolin", who would be on it?
    Matt Mundy, Jeff Bird, and maybe David Grisman come to mind.
    Who else?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: Giants of Psychedelic Mandolin?

Perhaps...

John Skehan with Railroad Earth

Michael Kang from String Cheese Incident

Barry Mitterhoff with Jorma Kaukonen particularly the Jefferson Airplane covers

Drew Emmitt from Leftover Salmon

Andy Statman

Whoever plays mando with Richard and Linda Thompson on a few cuts from the "Pour Down Like Silver" album (I'd assume it's Richard himself)

And and obscure one I've been listening to lately...Paul Tierney from the album "Red Hash" by Gary Higgins. Not necessarily prominently featured but it's there.

I love when the mando is used like this!

The last time I saw Sam Bush he did the Hendrix-Style Star Spangled Banner on His Fender 4-string.

Does that qualify?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

You mean, other than me? Well, OK, not really a giant (though I could stand to lose some weight), but still, I do what I can ...

These days I tend to work psychedelic textures into some of our quieter songs, almost like pedal steel effects, and one of these days I hope to get clips of those I can share. This is, well, you know, a bit of ####### - but fun.

A-OK with Jeff Bird, BTW. Not too familiar with most of the others, and not sure I would call Grisman psychedelic, despite his associations. I tend to think psychedelic implied electric, though there is bound to be disagreement about that. Oh, and nice to see Gibson gave Todd Rundgren his due. One of my all-time favorites in several categories, though I haven't really thought of him this way. But he is a guitar master and has ventured far and wide - what he did on "Open My Eyes" by Nazz and "Black Maria" from "Something/Anything," on which he played everything, are pretty far out there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

John Kruth, Billy Holmes, Dennis Lichtman, David Tiller, Lewin Barringer III, Niles Hokkanen, Jim Richter, John Paul Jones,

and the man who started it all: Yank Rachell!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

For those of you who use SoundCloud look up Virginia Slopbottom - the most psychadelic mandolin on planet earth and elsewhere! I'd stick a link in but I don't know how to!

Two words: NASH THE SLASH.

OK, three words.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I think Radim Zenkl deserves to be on the list.

As a life-long Deadhead and veteran of Dead cover bands I would place myself on the list!

Sam

In no particular order---Psychedelic as defined as "mind expanding"? Jethro Burns ,Carl Martin,David Grisman,Tiny Moore, Dave Apollon,Bill Monroe,Frank Wakefield,Yank Rachell.Andy Statman and I guess you would have to include which ever one it was - Seals or Croft that played the mandolin,cause they made it onto FM radio during the era. Someone else will have to think of Psychedelic as defined as "drug induced". Mandolin players are a pretty dope free lot when I think about it.

Come on no Dawg! He played with the Dead as well as a few other Jerry side projects. A few of his tracks of the Dawg 90 album are pretty psychedelic. Matt Mundy's work with the ARU would also qualify.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Mandolin players are a pretty dope free lot when I think about it.

Ummm... Grisman wrote a tune called "Sativa."

The jamband culture that gave us Michael Kang, Jamie Masefield and Drew Emmitt, among others, is pretty dope-friendly ...

I don't know anything about the personal habits of any particular mandolin player, but I wouldn't make blanket inferences based on the instrument someone plays. Unless it is a banjo.

Sure, his band is called the Jazz Mandolin Project, but Jamie Masefield gets pretty out there.

I remember the first time I saw him play. I was still very un-informed about mandolins (even though I owned one) and noticed he played an A shape mando instead of an F. For some reason, that made me feel somewhat less inferior to other mandolin players because I too played and A shape mando. Little did I know the shape could arguably be the least important feature that makes a mando sound like it does.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

Gene Johnson back in the 70's with his strange toned Feb. 18th 24. II Generation album "Head Cleaner"!!! Listen to it and the tune New Joe Clark. OH YEH

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    You mean, other than me? Well, OK, not really a giant (though I could stand to lose some weight), but still, I do what I can ...
    Not bad at all JB, but - based on location - weren't you supposed to play the Conch Republic Anthem instead?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    The jamband culture that gave us Michael Kang, Jamie Masefield and Drew Emmitt, among others, is pretty dope-friendly ...
    Then, of course, there is Peter Rowan and "Free Mexican Air Force," the song that put the grass in bluegrass...

Grisman's work with Rowan in Earth Opera qualifies.

David Lindley with Kaleidoscope was about as pysch as it gets.

Robin Remaily with Holy Modal Rounders.

And I'm thinking Incredible String Band must have had some mandolin in there.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Then, of course, there is Peter Rowan and "Free Mexican Air Force," the song that put the grass in bluegrass...
    Yep, I remember that era. On stage at a festival, Pete introduced BM, as follows:

This here's Barry Mandolin on the Mitterhoff....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Not bad at all JB, but - based on location - weren't you supposed to play the Conch Republic Anthem instead?
    Hmmm ... intriguing if esoteric consideration ... It was our location in time rather than space that was the deciding factor - the nation celebrates its independence on this date, while the Republic celebrates its independence in April. And I'm not sure what our anthem is, but if it's "Margaritaville," we can't do that - musicians at the club are under strict orders not to play any Buffett. Hmmm ... must do a bit of research ... Meanwhile, thanks!

Seeing a lot of names that are new to me, and probably to others. It would be nice if people familiar with their work could post some examples for the benefit of those of us not yet enlightened. Also, I have to wonder how people are defining "psychedelic." Is it somehow recreating or inspiring a drug experience? Is it playing music in a way that is intended to "take you there" by itself rather than with drugs? Is it just playing out of the box and pushing the envelope? Can it be done on an acoustic or is an electric needed? Is it only musical or is lyrical content a factor? Does it require incorporating non-musical or ambient aspects of tone production into the music? Is it an attitude or is it purely musical? How do you define it?

The way I see it, a listener can get his or her mind blown by all kinds of music if listening while stoned, but that doesn't make the music psychedelic. For instance, Yank Rachel and Carl Martin are excellent players and venture outside convention, but I wouldn't consider them psychedelic, from what I've heard. I can see where someone could have a lot of fun listening to them while high, but that is more about the listener's internal amplification. Same with what I have heard from Grisman, Statman, Mitterhoff, and other acoustic players - stretching the boundaries, yes, thrilling, yes, especially for mandolin lovers, but psychedelic? Not to my line of thinking. This is a very subjective area, of course, but I think a bit of definition would help clarify things in this purple haze ...
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-15-2012 at 8:57am. Reason: furthur
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

21. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Grisman's work with Rowan in Earth Opera qualifies.

David Lindley with Kaleidoscope was about as pysch as it gets.

Robin Remaily with Holy Modal Rounders.

And I'm thinking Incredible String Band must have had some mandolin in there.
    Took the thoughts right out of my head!

Is the mandolin easily heard in the mix on those Kaleidoscope albums?

If I remember correctly David Lindley is also credited on mandolin and bouzoki on some of the el-rayo x albums. Although I don't really remember hearing it I just remember the credit.

Also if you can track down the Holy Modal Rounders Good Taste Is Timeless album Peter Stampfel plays some mandolin on a few tracks. If you have heard his fiddle and banjo style you can guess at his frenetic, about to fall off the tracks mandolin style. Yet somehow it works for him.

In the liner notes he mentions he was getting lessons from a big time mando player, I think it may have been Andy Statman? Sure developed his own style though.

Blog Entries

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Paul Hoffman from Greensky Bluegrass... Actually, the whole band is pretty psychedelic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Hardly a "giant", but I am trying to lose weight...

I grew up on "psychedelic" music in the fertile Bay Area music scene of the 60's-70's, and it remains my favorite period and genre of music, period, to this day...

The Airplane, Quicksilver, Faithful Fed, and all those bands were just a joy to see in their prime, and I think were a huge influence on the music that circulates as "bluegrass" today...
    The whole mandolin scene that came out of the area in the 70's had a real revolutionary vibe attached to it (and a 'zine), as just one glance at the audience at a Bill Monroe show during the time will attest to...

As far as a definition of "psychedelic" goes, the key word for me is "unpredictable"...
    A "psychedelic" band is thrillingly unpredictable, with the music taking twists and turns along the way, with songs sometimes written onstage, and great musical risks being taken...
    Fly by the seat of your pants, throw the setlists to the wind, and play music...

It was very refreshing back in the day when most bands played the same setlist night-after-night with the same arrangements, and audiences--who could smell the risk from a mile away--loved it to the point of forming little groups of folks who followed the light bulb around the world until it burnt out...

Crossover was huge back in the 60's in the SF Bay Area...
    I remember large attentive audiences sitting on uncomfortable church pews for a 6-hour concert featuring Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan, and Alla Rakha, Sun Ra holding forth in Oakland, and--yes--bluegrass shows at the GAMH with similar audiences in attendance...
    Unpredictable improvisation common to all 3...

I'm doing a CD as we speak that I was going to call "Psychedelic Headphone LP", but instead might be "Electric Mandolin Graffiti"....
    I don't think it will see the light of day...

Here's "Mandobird at Midnight"....

26. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    ...snip...Here's "Mandobird at Midnight"....
    Yes, definitely, Bruce Harvie!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...