Thread: Color coordinating on my "Poorman's EM-150"

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Default Color coordinating on my "Poorman's EM-150"

Finally got around to installing volume and tone control. but when I looked in my parts box, found I only had off-white and bright green knobs ...so, in the spirit of non-obnoxiousness, I went w/ the off-white knobs...

OTOH, I'm thinking black knobs might look better...thoughts, my fellow mandolinistos?

Default Re: Color coordinating on my "Poorman's EM-150"

Advantage, you have an elevated fingerboard, so you get to fit the pickup
    further from the bridge than Gibson did.

happy pickin' ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thumbs up Re: Color coordinating on my "Poorman's EM-150"

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Advantage, you have an elevated fingerboard, so you get to fit the pickup
    further from the bridge than Gibson did.

happy pickin' ..
    Yeah, and it sounds much more "acoustic-ish" at that location...a lot of electrtic mandolins I've played sounded too much like electric guitars, and I really wanted it to sound naturally like a mandolin, just at a higher volume.

After playing/examining a friend's EM-150, and comparing it w/ my "Poorman's EM-150", I was pleased to discover that a laminated-topped mandolin with a P-90 p/u, even w/ the name "Gibson" on the headpiece, still sounds like a laminated-topped mandolin with a P-90 p/u, when played unplugged.

This little Rogue has a great neck and excellent fret-work/intonation, so I'm very pleased with it...and the fact that it didn't cost $1500-2000 is pretty cool, too (I've got just a touch over $100 invested into it, all told)! If the neck ever warps, I'll just yank out the electronics and get another lam-topped mando.

Got a nice solid-topped mando (Gold Tone GM-50) on it's way to me for unplugged playing, until I can afford a nice F-4, but this'll be my electric mando for a long time, I suspect.

I think they added some patches on the inside around the hole when planning to put the PU in there .
    Same pickup goes on the TG 150, an arch top F hole Tenor Guitar.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I think they added some patches on the inside around the hole when planning to put the PU in there .
    Same pickup goes on the TG 150, an arch top F hole Tenor Guitar.
    Would the patches have been to further eliminate the possibility of feedback issues, as does the laminate top, or to make ithe EM150/TG150 less likely to cave in, due to having to cut through the bracing, to install the P-90?

I use a piece of 10mm craft foam between the p/u and the top, both to raise the p/u closer to the strings and to deaden the top a bit, for feedback suppression, which cuts down the unplugged volume considerably (possibly by as much as 50%). This makes for virtually squeal-free performances, but I prefer to use a 40-watt amp, usually run about half-way up. then mic'd into the PA.

OTOH, a friend, who's having me do the same alteration of an F-model Rogue, has used my mando through his Marshall stack, set on "decalcify" (), and it only fedback when he stood facing it from about a foot away. It'll be interesting to see what sonic mayhem he'll create with his.
    Last edited by Terry Allan Hall; Mar-14-2012 at 7:54am.