Thread: Been away awhile...have made some conclusions.

Default Been away awhile...have made some conclusions.

While taking a self imposed sabbitcal from MC for a few months I have decided to come out of the hole with some well heeded observations.

1) My..has this place changed in the last few months. Wether its for the better or worse is not my call.

2) Can it be perhaps that there is nothing else that can be said about a Blue Chip pick, how to attach a strap, Chris Thile or how to raise the bridge? Im thinking so. Now this observation cant be true of current mando related events...that trend and info is changing daily.

3) Where in the world has all the old-timers gone? Seems their posts are getting rarer and rarer. I was and still am amazed of some of the Magi sage advice, stories etc. That is my favorite part of MC. I love going to the builders sections and reading what goes on there. I love the Classifieds, I love the builds in progress. But quite frankly I get bored with all the other rehashing of stale topics. Perhaps it seems Im not the only one that feels this way judging by the ebbing of the old timers.

4) I did not start this thread with the intent of starting a flame throwing episode. Just looking for some honest input and answers. So..all the flame throwers need not to reply.

As for me..Ive taken a new stance with MC. Im a lurker now. I will respond when I feel I have something good to share..not to rehash the same ol same ol.

Default Re: Been away awhile...have made some conclusions.

Can it be perhaps that there is nothing else that can be said about a Blue Chip pick

...surely you jest....

You can make the same observations about almost any online board. I've been active on several bicycle interest groups, other musical instrument groups and several health/fitness groups and it's progressed this way on every one. I doubt there's a *solution* to this, it's just the way it is.
    bruce b.

I understand what you're saying. I think it kind of goes in waves. I'll lurk for several days or maybe a week with not much of interest in the Forum, but then there will be a flurry of interesting topics that keep me interested. I still log on every day, if for no other reason than to check the Classifieds. I have to say though, I am also a member on the Mando Hangout, and anytime I think the Cafe is getting boring, I just go to the Hangout and then, suddenly, the Cafe seems quite interesting. When there are good discussions to be had, it's here. It's difficult to have super interesting discussions every day, and of course, there are over-done topics brought on mostly by beginners. That's OK. They're new to the Cafe and often don't know these topics have been discussed in length. I have taken the same stance as you. I look almost every day and chime in when I feel I have something worthwhile to add, even if my opinions go against the grain.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Thanks Bruce and Larry. Im not looking for a solution per say. Just trying to gather some thoughts and info that may be used to as fodder some day.

I'm still confused on which BlueChip pick to buy. Think I will start another BlueChip thread.

Sorry, what's the question? Why ain't things as good as they used to be? LOLs. I honestly think it was always as dull as this There are 2 mandolin cafes, the one on the web page, and the one in your head. Only you can bring the fun and the love.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Sorry, what's the question? Why ain't things as good as they used to be? LOLs. I honestly think it was always as dull as this
    Ha,,,not always.

I'm sure you'll feel better when your Northfield arrives.

I wus gonna say welcome back on the Pee Wee thread, but I wanted to respect your lurking privileges.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    While taking a self imposed sabbitcal from MC for a few months I have decided to come out of the hole with some well heeded observations.

1) My..has this place changed in the last few months. Wether its for the better or worse is not my call.

2) Can it be perhaps that there is nothing else that can be said about a Blue Chip pick, how to attach a strap, Chris Thile or how to raise the bridge? Im thinking so. Now this observation cant be true of current mando related events...that trend and info is changing daily.

3) Where in the world has all the old-timers gone? Seems their posts are getting rarer and rarer. I was and still am amazed of some of the Magi sage advice, stories etc. That is my favorite part of MC. I love going to the builders sections and reading what goes on there. I love the Classifieds, I love the builds in progress. But quite frankly I get bored with all the other rehashing of stale topics. Perhaps it seems Im not the only one that feels this way judging by the ebbing of the old timers.

4) I did not start this thread with the intent of starting a flame throwing episode. Just looking for some honest input and answers. So..all the flame throwers need not to reply.

As for me..Ive taken a new stance with MC. Im a lurker now. I will respond when I feel I have something good to share..not to rehash the same ol same ol.
    i think this forum is great. however, i can\'t say the same about your contributions which i haven\'t missed. welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmodawg View Post
    i think this forum is great. however, i can\'t say the same about your contributions which i haven\'t missed. welcome back.

Blog Entries

The old timers have most likely taken the same stance as you about becoming bored with all the repetitive questions and are holding back letting the semi new folks answer the newest folks questions. There is still a lot of new info coming through here but there is quite a bit of repetition. Certainly a lot of this info could just be stickied but it would change the feel of the MC and probably make it less hospitable and seem like a ghost town. (This has been discussed before)

Music is based on repetition and so are some parts of this forum. Thankfully, I'm getting older and can't remember much.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I have to say that the MC has been so helpful in my processes of learning different things about the mandolin and coming across certain situations. Sometimes it can be tiring when digging through threads to find the exact answer you're looking for. Sometimes a lot of threads are related to the issue but they don't necessarily answer the question.

I know it can be frustrating to you more experienced players, but I just want to say thank you and that I'm extremely grateful for this site and all the users that have helped. I think I'd be a sight for sore eyes if I didn't have the lovely people here to lend some insight when us newbies are feeling desperate. So from all of us newbies... THANK YOU!
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."

I agree with Greg. I am not an old-timer but around long enough to see rehashing. I have also seen several discussions regarding such and the general attitude (just general, not universal) is there is nothing wrong with rehashing, sometimes a bit of new life in injected with the rehash, and ultimately it is good for the MC.