Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy gigbag idea

Default Crazy gigbag idea

So, Coffin Cases licensed a design for gig bags to be manufactured for Mad Catz, a brand of electronic gaming accessories. These bags were designed to store controllers for Guitar Hero and Rock Band video games:

http://www.newenglandmusicsupply.com...l?review=write

At 36" long and 13" maximum width, they're too small for a standard guitar, but should fit most emandos ... has anyone tried this?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Crazy gigbag idea

Whoa! At only $14.99, I might just. Although I usually go for plain black (suitable for all occasions), and am not into death metal (in which case there would be no question), I'm thinking about it. Really like the red interior - creepy and stylish at the same time. A couple things are giving me pause - it looks like it doesn't zipper closed making it more of a tote bag than a gig bag, and dang - "guitar not included!" But if only it were midnight black with glow-in-the-dark skulls and crossbones ...

BTW, when I used to play my MandoBird on the street through my big Pignose amp, wah wah and all, I would get the occasional sneering question from drunk pseudo-macho guys - "What is that, Guitar Hero?" Uh-huh, buddy, when you're done showing off for your girlfriend, ask yourself if you see a computer here. Using this bag would kind of cloud the issue ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coffin Case.gif 
Views:	152 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	83316  
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

There doesn't seem to be a way to sipper it shut...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a way to sipper it shut...

Jamie
    "The Officially Licensed Coffin Case Gig Bag from Mad Catz rest your axe in peace. The trademarked, embossed skull pattern exterior replete with woven nylon handles and dual zippered closure provides the means for you to transport your instrument in macabre style."
    I wonder if they`re available in the UK

Oh No.....found one on Amazon and I couldn`t resist!!!!!!!!!
    I`ll report back when it arrives.
    CheeryBye.

Blog Entries

Please do. I see that in the description, also the mention of a zippered mesh accessory pouch and adjustable shoulder strap, none of which do I see in the only photo provided. Now, I know that everything one sees on the interweb is true and accurate and reliable and trustworthy, but I still prefer to be able to have a thorough view of any potential purchase. Maybe one side folds over the other so it zips ... it just doesn't look like it, the way it is displayed.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It is rather cool, and then I'd have an excuse to get an electric mando (honey, I have this gig bag, silly not to have the mandolin...)

Blog Entries

She'll tell you to get Guitar Hero as it's cheaper! I see it says dual zipper closure but I don't see how it zippers closed. It looks like a big padded envelope. Please show ups how it zippers shut when yours comes. I have no dog in this either way, I don't have an e-mando, and for a guy who loves zombies and dark stuff, that bag isn't my cuppa dark.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Looks like it zips on that seam to form a flattish side. Like a really shallow coffin.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Don't see it, but I did finally see the accessory pouch - inside the bag, just below where the neck intersects it in the photo. Kind of small, but it'll hold strings, picks, maybe a tuner. That's enough.

BTW, unless Pete snagged the last cheap one, he got hosed by Amazon. The cheapest one they had when I looked was $25, $10 more than from NEMS.

One of the UK Amazon shops had three available at £4.13 inc. postage.
    At that price, how could I not go for one, especially since I`m working on a black Explorer at the moment

Blog Entries

Ah ha! Oh ho! Good going! It was odd to see used prices at Amazon (US, I guess) higher than new from NEMS. Share pics when you can.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Coffin Cases made a limited edition of their hard-shell case in white. That was very creepy, nearly tastelessly so. It looked too much like a child's coffin.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Well....it`s here!
    This mando I`m working on is slightly larger than a normal "F" but only just so I reckon there`s space for an electric tenor mandola in here (but probably not acoustic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gigbag.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	83440

First impressions.....very good......excellent quality, reasonable padding and tough canvas edge reinforcement although there are a couple of downsides for mando use.
    Firstly, the sides are around 1.5" deep so it`s pretty flat, there`s lots of space for the instrument to move about inside but having said that, the bag has carrying handles and only a single shoulder strap so since the bag is going to be edge down in transit, I don`t really see that as a problem.
    The only thing I don`t like is that little compartment inside - I reckon the zip fastener could cause damage but since it`s like a flap, easy job to cut out with a sharp knife or scissors.
    To sum up, stupidly good value (not sure whether it was supposed to be so cheap) and much better quality than a lot of the budget mando bags........I`m happy!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review. Looks cool. And the question on everyone's mind - does it zip closed? - has been answered. Another zippy question - is the zipper handle on the inside compartment metal??? That would not be good. Replaceable, I suppose ...

They re out of stock at NEMS... and also out of stock of the hard coffin case for electric guitars that would have done my E-mandocello nicely...

There are a couple of lads up here in Seattle selling secondhand all-purpose Coffin hardcases on Craig's List for around fifty semolians. You might check CL in the OC.

Actually, it was a bloke in Los Angeles trying to sell one of these bags on CL that piqued my initial interest.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

got a used one on Amazon... I could do with another one...

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Whoa! At only $14.99, I might just. Although I usually go for plain black (suitable for all occasions), and am not into death metal (in which case there would be no question), I'm thinking about it. Really like the red interior - creepy and stylish at the same time. A couple things are giving me pause - it looks like it doesn't zipper closed making it more of a tote bag than a gig bag, and dang - "guitar not included!" But if only it were midnight black with glow-in-the-dark skulls and crossbones ...

BTW, when I used to play my MandoBird on the street through my big Pignose amp, wah wah and all, I would get the occasional sneering question from drunk pseudo-macho guys - "What is that, Guitar Hero?" Uh-huh, buddy, when you're done showing off for your girlfriend, ask yourself if you see a computer here. Using this bag would kind of cloud the issue ...
    Then you need this T-shirt...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANDOLIN-HER...item5ae1ddd7ed

Blog Entries

Ha! Somewhere around here or on the web there is a fake ad for a Mandolin Hero game, for only $99. Hilarious. This T-shirt should definitely come with it.

This thread contains a dead link to it. Hopefully someone more wizardly on the web can find it.

My Mandobird came with a gigbsg that says "Epiphone - endangered species" on it.

Wow! It's big enough for an E-Mandola... but not quite an E-Mandocello...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    My Mandobird came with a gigbsg that says "Epiphone - endangered species" on it.
    Ouch! I know they've been discontinued, but that's a bit harsh. Though, come to think of it, maybe it should have said "extinct".

Blog Entries

Would that work for an accoustic mandolin, or is it not thick enough?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

An acoustic mandolin would fit in it, but there's no real sides to speak of...