Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson, Collings or Weber ?

Default Gibson, Collings or Weber ?

Looking to buy my first mandolin, I know there are some others but my first one is going to be middle of the road Gibson, Collings, or Weber, been listening to some sound clips and right now my vote is gibson ?
    jstout

Default Re: Gibson, Collings or Weber ?

They're all fine manufacturers. I'm sure many of us will say the same thing: try 'em out, buy the one that you like best. If you have to buy long distance without trying them out, good luck! I bought my Collings on the 'net and have been very happy with it.

Blog Entries

Any one of those manufacturers could provide you with a mandolin with which you could be happy for the rest of your life.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I have owned them all and they all make fine mandolins, but there is no substitute for playing them before you buy. The necks will be different, the instruments will feel different in you hands, and they will sound different even within brands. You can be happy or unhappy with any of them. Don't buy a pig in a poke.

I will once again cast my vote for the Weber. If you are looking at a new one, Bruce and his fine luthiers can make it to your personal specifications.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Any one of those manufacturers could provide you with a mandolin with which you could be happy for the rest of your life.
    This. They're all beautiful in different ways and quality instruments that will serve you well until you're done.

Find the one that speaks to you, whose style/sound can fit the music you'd like to play. Whose neck feels good in your hands, whose sound is pleasing to you.

Do try them out. It's worth a trip somewhere to get the instrument you'll have for life.

While these makers don't let bad mandolins out their door, I've seen individual instruments of each that were phenomenal. Find yours.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Blog Entries

While there is an incredible amount of "mandolin knowledge" on the site, no one can advise you on what mandolin would be best for you. You have narrowed your selection down to three quality mandolin makers and now you are the only one who can make the final choice. Go with your instincts -the good part is that you probably can't really go wrong!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've owned all three as well. Currently, my Collings MT2v is my "cats meow." I was at Gruhn's this weekend playing some really nice mandolins priced north of $5,000, wouldn't trade my Collings for any of them. That being said, they were fine mandolins. My dad has a Gibson F-9 that will peel paint, probably the loudest Gibson I've ever heard. My Honey Tortoise Weber is a great sounding mandolin, but I don't like the tone as well as my Collings. I traded a Gibson F5g for that Weber and would do it again.

While it isn't talked about very often here on the Cafe, I think someone has to play extensively for a number of years to really understand and appreciate the differences in the various brands. You have to play everything you can get your hands on, so you can begin to apprciate what you hear versus the hype of certain brands or builders. Once you get to the Gibson F5gs, Weber Yellowstone, and Collings MF or MT2v....they are all going to be good instruments....those builders have earned their deserved reputation by consistently producing superior instruments. In the end you'll find one that really speaks to you and connects with your right and left hand like an extension of your body. Good luck in your quest!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Those are all three good brands. Haven't owned any of these, but I've played a few of each. My experience has been the Collings have been the most consistent sounding; whereas the Gibsons I've played have been some some great ones and some just ok. I have to ask a couple questions; you certainly don't have to answer:

Are you just basing this on sound clips? This alone are not a very good basis for decision as so much depends on the equipment used for recording and playback

Have you considered all the other great mandos in this range (and less expensive) built by small independent luthiers?

Have you had a chance to play any of these, or are you like me mando-geographically challenged? Since you'll be spending a couple thousand or more, have you considered it may be worth a trip somewhere where you can actually play a few?

Good luck; I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

Yes, I am mando-geographically challenged, so will be buying online, the advice I get here will weigh heavily on my choice.
    I know the sound clips arent much but them and the advice I get here is about as good as its gonna get, I would love to have an Ellis but I think for my first, I will stick with the big 3 for resale purposes ? And budget 3K used.
    Thanks men, I really appreciate your opinion.
    jstout

Nothing I can think of will substitute for getting out and playing the instruments. The three you mention have significant differences in the "signiture" sound. A Weber doesn't sound like a Gibson, etc. Here at the cafe, we mostly try to refrain from touting brand loyalty just because that's what we've got in the case at home. George is a Weber guy because he likes the Weber sound. I'm a Gibson guy because that's the sound I want to hear. If you don't taste a little of each you might buy fudge ripple and find out later that you love tutti-frutti.
    Mike Snyder

I just bought my first mandolin last weekend and I had to do it by mail/internet because I don't have a local music shop that carrys mid-to-high end instruments or enough variety. I checked out the trial period policy for a few stores that stocked the brands I was considering and avoided any that charged a 3% restocking fee on top of the shipping. I just accepted that I might have to spend a little money on shipping. I listened to a lot of mp3's and recordings and made a prioritized list of which brand and model I thought had the best chance of being what I was after, then I ordered. I ordered a Gibson first and while it sounded great the neck wasn't quite right in my hands, so I sent it back (lost about $120 in two-way shipping and insurance) then ordered a Collings and it was a keeper.

I would suggest working with stores closer to you so that you minimize shipping cost if you have to send something back. I would have spent a lot less shipping that Gibson if the dealer had been on the east coast. Also, if there's a shop that stores both brands they might work with you a little on shipping if you are up front that you might try one or two mandolins but will definitely be buying an instrument from them.

F-style Apostate

Here's a dissenting vote-

Since you say "first mandolin" I'm assuming that you are just starting to learn to play.

My suggestion is to buy a good quality lower end A-style mandolin, possibly a used Pac-Rim or domestic, and learn to play for six months or a year. Then you'll have a much better basis for picking out that dream mandolin when the time comes. As a beginner, you can't possibly be able to appreciate the nuances involved in choosing between three fine brands of mandolin. As someone with a little playing time under their belt, you'll be able to tell the differences right away, and you'll be equipped to make the selection of an instrument you will probably keep for years.

I know this isn't what you want to hear when you're excited about buying that whiz-bang F model, but take your time with it- mandolin playing isn't an emergency.

Rick

ABC (Anything but Collings)

I've never played or heard one that was worth the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    ABC (Anything but Collings)

I've never played or heard one that was worth the $$$
    I 100 percent agree I would go Gibson you would have to look hard to find a bad one

Hey, good to see you diversifying and getting into mandolin, and my apologies in advance for bothering you on two forums.

I used to be pretty active here (under another name, had to sign up again after one of the site revamps) many years ago when I was in a BG band and primarily played mandolin. Since that phase of my life ended the mandolins have been fairly dormant and I've concentrated on guitar. Still, I lurk and keep at least minimally involved in the mandolin world.

IMO you're absolutely on the right track to buy a high quality instrument, used of course, which gives you the best chance of recouping most or all of your money if you move on to something else. I also find that the better instruments inspire me to play better.

The brands you chose are all good and each has it's own dedicated following.

Gibson is hard to beat for resale and will generally have the sound most associated with BG. Stick with the Nashville made ones from about 2000 or later. They just sound a little better to my ear. Finish is not consistent, but the sound is. I can't recall picking up one of those that did sound good. I guess you'd be looking at an A5-L or F5-G in the price range you noted.

Collings will probably have the best finish of anything and the resale seems to hold up pretty well. On average I have liked their A-style mandolins better than the F-styles, which is odd for me. I just think the A's are consistently good sounding instruments. Some F's are very good and I can't recall playing a "dog" but I hear more variation in the F's. A used MT-2 or MF ought to fit your budget.

Weber has the widest selection of styles, but also the lowest resale value. If you're buying used though, someone else took that hit so you just have to find one you like. They make a wide range of styles, many of which I do not like at all and others that are quite pleasing to my eyes and ears. Their lineup has changed a lot and I really haven't kept track, but the Yellowstone is pretty traditional looking/sounding and falls in line with your budget.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have an early (1999) Weber Big Sky that I bought new. It was the last mandolin I played in the band. It's X-braced with a Sitka top and very full sounding. It gets a lot of compliments and even some "I've never heard a Weber sound that good" sort of comments. Take that for what it's worth. It "spoke" to me the first time I picked it up and hasn't let me down. I also have an early (2002/2003) MF5. It's a fine mandolin too, with a red spruce top and tone bars. Of course it sounds quite a bit different that my Weber, mostly in good ways.

I have a few others, but none that are relevant to this discussion. Someday I'll probably buy a MM (distressed or not) or a Paganoni. Then I'll be done...

Hello Buck, I dont ever remember you bothering me or anyone else for that matter, just good advice from your end, like the post above, and of course you nailed it I want a decent middle of the road mandolin that will inspire me to play and if it dont work, have resale value that I can recoup some of my money.
    Thanks for the good advice.................jstout

While I understand and appreciate Rick's thoughts, I may disagree with him a little bit.

There is nothing more frustrating than learning on a lower-end instrument. It may have fingerboard problems. There may be intonation problems. The quality of the tone may be thin and weak. All of these considerations may make practice and learning less enjoyable.

I learned a long time ago when I was burning through inexpensive clarinets that a cheap instrument will almost always either play or sound cheap. I never regret spending money on a good musical instrument.
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

jstout,

I will echo alot of what has already been written. Try to play an instrument if you are able. All three builders make a fantastic instrument.

I suspect you may also be looking for thoughts about people's personal instruments as you wrote your original post, so I will oblige. I have a custom Weber Gallatin, and I love it. Because of the Wilson Family Curse (early arthritis), I had it set-up to play light gauge strings. It is not especially loud (most likely due to the set-up), but the tone is really sweet. (My wife who hates bluegrass likes the sound of my mandolin!) The fingerboard plays as nice as any other high end mandolin. The really cool thing about the Weber that may be different from a Collings or a Gibson, is the crew at Sound to Earth work with you to build a mandolin exactly the way you want it built.

Good luck, and be sure to post again when you get your new mandolin.
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

Even if you think you know what you want now, it will change, so I like your idea of getting something that will hold value and resell easy.

My first "Real" mandolin was a Gibson A9, and I loved it. Then I played other mandolins and decided the fretboard was too narrow and traded.

So I got a Custom Weber and love it. Then I played other mandolins and decided I needed to get something with a different sound for my main axe.

So I got a Collings and I love it. Then... well I haven't gotten to "Then" yet with this instrument, but I am more open to the idea that there is something out there I will want to grow into, I just haven't heard/played it yet.

Therefore I propose you get the instrument that both inspires you when you get a chance to play it, and will hold its resale value. If you don't get a chance to play it first get a Collings, they all sound pretty good to me and hold resale value. If you like classic woody tone, get a Gibson. If you want a custom mandolin that will last a lifetime get a Weber.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

A nice varnished F5 G just hit the classifieds today
    Bill

If I was buying a 3K mandolin, I would spend a little extra taking a trip and try them out.

Hello JStout,

As usual, the good folks in this group are giving lots of great advice. Even as the advice differs, it's all of value, so give it lots of thought.

As some others have states, as long as you are not over-reaching your budget, I think it's best to start with a quality instrument. Learning a new instrument will be frustrating at times. It will be less-so on a better instrument. Also, a quality instrument may inspire you to practice longer and more frequently, so your learning curve might be a little steeper (i.e. it's so beautiful and feels so good you won't want to put it down). And when all else fails, having made the committment to spend some hard earned money on a quality instrument can reinforce your committment to learn to play it (you might feel a little guilty if it just sits in the case too long)

You cannot go wrong with any of the brands you have selected. You have chosen well. However, you can't beat having the chance to try out each brand as you make your selection. For some people (you included) that just might not be practical due to geographic considerations.

We do each have our own tastes in mandolins (OK, some of us are mandolin fanatics...what did you expect on this forum). That does not mean one is better than the other, it's really a matter of taste. I really like Webers, hence that's what I play. Another's choice is equally valid.

So, best wishes with your decision. For what it's worth, I think you're going about it right.

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Heads up on an extra sweet sounding honey 'burst F model Collings at Morgan Music. Was a very close second choice to the Red Diamond "Crusher" I ended up buying. Seriously, that Collings sounded as good as anything I've played or heard. Killer sounding mandolin.

Tom

Registered User & Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    Looking to buy my first mandolin, I know there are some others but my first one is going to be middle of the road Gibson, Collings, or Weber, been listening to some sound clips and right now my vote is gibson ?
    jstout
    Your term "middle of the road" could be many things to many people.
    The Cafe members could be way more helpful if you give a specific dollar amount.
    Most of the time, "money talks, nobody walks/you get what you pay for" is the case.
    Pre-owned, entry level Gibsons, Colling's and Weber are usually under $2000 as I'm sure you know.
    Sounds like you are willing to spend 2500 or more??