Thread: Mark Johnson & emory Lester

Default Mark Johnson & emory Lester

I got to see these guys in a house concert last night. Fantastic, all around. They blended with each other to a point of beauty. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. If you get the chance to see them, take it.
    Emory played his Northfield. He said it was the one in the video on Northfield's website. He's been playing it exclusively for the past 6 months although it looks like it has many more years than that on it. Sounded great if not all that loud. But, hey. That's why they play with mics.
    Both of them were awesome (in the true sense of the word) and might have been greater than the sum of their parts.
    Thanks to them in a big way for a great evening!

Default Re: Mark Johnson & emory Lester

That sounds like a fun time.

Emory is a guy who tries out the new mandolins, isnt he.

Ditto what WaveRay said! They were magical together, often sounding like more than just two instruments. I had not been a huge banjo fan but Mark's lovely tunes and sweet tone blended so well with Emory's exquisite mandolin and guitar that the combination was transcendent. They gave every impression of having a great time with each other and an appreciative and attentive intimate audience, and the listeners gave it right back to them. Their easy and entertaining banter included great stories about Mr. Monroe, Del McCoury, the Rice brothers. They played for two long sets; a few tunes I recall off the top of my head were an original arrangement of Girl From North Country, Forked Deer, lighting-fast Fischer's Hornpipe, some Monroe, other covers of both classic and obscure, and many gorgeous originals from each's solo projects as well as their three albums. Outstanding musicians and entertainers shared a truly special evening of music.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post
    Ditto what WaveRay said! They were magical together, often sounding like more than just two instruments. I had not been a huge banjo fan but Mark's lovely tunes and sweet tone blended so well with Emory's exquisite mandolin and guitar that the combination was transcendent. They gave every impression of having a great time with each other and an appreciative and attentive intimate audience, and the listeners gave it right back to them. Their easy and entertaining banter included great stories about Mr. Monroe, Del McCoury, the Rice brothers. They played for two long sets; a few tunes I recall off the top of my head were an original arrangement of Girl From North Country, Forked Deer, lighting-fast Fischer's Hornpipe, some Monroe, other covers of both classic and obscure, and many gorgeous originals from each's solo projects as well as their three albums. Outstanding musicians and entertainers shared a truly special evening of music.

Hey, Mando,
    where did you sit? Do I know you? I was second row center isle beside my wife on my left.

Then I think I sat behind your wife. I'm in Weston, don't know nobody. Maybe see you at the next one if I get the word--it was a terrific event.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post
    Then I think I sat behind your wife. I'm in Weston, don't know nobody. Maybe see you at the next one if I get the word--it was a terrific event.

Claire Lynch 3/21/12